ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FAIREST MEANS OF CONTROLLING IMMIGRATION TO UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

batleykhan

FAIREST MEANS OF CONTROLLING IMMIGRATION TO UK

Post by batleykhan » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:13 pm

Seeing this is one of the UK's premier Immigartion board website and there has been a major speech on Immigration by the UK's Prime minister this week,how would you the ordinary guy on the street control immigration to the UK so it is fair to all those coming in and to the people of this country.

Who would you let in and who would you stop coming in? . What are your reasons for doing this

Please keep your comments short , precise and clean.

jager

Re: FAIREST MEANS OF CONTROLLING IMMIGRATION TO UK

Post by jager » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:57 pm

From the immigrants' perspective

1 - stop inconsistent caseworker decisions based on vague, poorly worded guidance, where everyone sweats about whether they're going to lose 1000s of pounds based on a bored functionary's whim (Exhibit 1: guidelines on allowable absences for ILR).

2 - Cameron says he's concerned about integration and common experience. English-speaking immigrants from first-world countries (USA, Canada, Oz etc.) are most able to integrate and often know more about UK history than the locals do. Yet EU immigrants can come with no restriction, even if linguistically and culturally they can be far more alien to the UK.

3 - fee increases to be specifically justified, e.g. why charge for premium ILR app is now six times the actual cost of providing the service.

4 - despite the rhetoric, introducing retrospective changes that move the goalposts just before a long-term migrant applies in-country is not "firm but fair."

5 - Life in the UK test content should actually be based on life in the UK and its history, not irrelevant statistics about what percentage of the population comes from what ethnicity.

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:20 pm

who would I let in and why

Persons genuinely seeking refuge in the UK - not economic migrants

Spouses of Brit cits - married and lived together overseas
persons wishing to marry brit cits who have been in a long term relationship prior to marriage

University students

some other students who were at properly inspected colleges not certificate factories

workers doing highly skilled jobs, visas issued for specific jobs only

investors creating jobs and income

other small things like sportsmen etc

short term : visitors seeing very close family

Business visitors and tourists

Stop : low skilled worker pretending to be highly skilled ones
students in low level courses
dependants of students on low level courses

why we need to top ones for the economy and for humanitarian reasons and we do not need the bottom ones not when we are in the economic position we are in
pennyless

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:06 pm

What's the point of this debate on this forum??

May be you are a mod., so you will not be BANNED!!!!

However, when someone other than a mod. tries to start a debate or provides a link of a charity or some major speech, they are banned?? I think, they must be given atleast 3 warning's before any BAN comes into effect.

I don't see any point in taking part in this debate, if people are BANNED for just providing a LINK or something!!!

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:13 pm

Aryan2013 wrote:What's the point of this debate on this forum??

May be you are a mod., so you will not be BANNED!!!!

However, when someone other than a mod. tries to start a debate or provides a link of a charity or some major speech, they are banned?? I think, they must be given atleast 3 warning's before any BAN comes into effect.

I don't see any point in taking part in this debate, if people are BANNED for just providing a LINK or something!!!
People are not obliged to take part in this discussion if they dont want to. Constructive criticism is welcomed,but not dearly beloved comments.Comments such as those above are welcomed. I do not consider those to be offensive but constructive.

As far as members being banned, it is something Mods dont take lightly. Normally several warnings are given unless the comments are so offensive that an immidiate ban is required.

There are a number of people on the forum who deliberately provoke trouble by making personal and offensive comments, which we as Mods have a duty to prevent.

We are all grown up adults and it is possible to have a discussion without the need to get into a slanging match. If you cant do that, then dont take part.

milan_ns

Post by milan_ns » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:31 pm

Current system is great, it's just need tweaking:

- better control & fact checking for all long term visa applications
- student dependents should not be able to work
- students work should be restricted (to discourage people coming as students for sole purpose of working; companies should have to apply for a special license to employ students)
- economic migrant route to settlement should be made flexible to accommodate for changing economic circumstances & high earners should be giver priority

The above are mostly common sense statements.

But I also like to add my insight into immigration in general...

UK immigration policy is one of the more flexible ones.

In boom times British let the students flood the job market to keep the wage inflation down. When EU expanded to Eastern Europe they turned the student workforce tap down a notch, as now Polish were now available to work in restaurants and pubs and to clean offices. Meanwhile British public reaped the benefits (in every sense) and were quite content with the level of immigration (it was called multiculturalism in those days).

Now that economy has hit the rock bottom British govt quickly (and rationally I might add) decided it's time to get people off benefits and into work - and restricting inflow of foreign workforce would likely help the cause (as does weak pound by keeping EU migrants away).

Give it 5-10 years and there will be another immigration "boom" to make up for aging population and economy picking up.

My point is that UK immigration policy was never wrong - it's simply flexible and adjusts to circumstances.

fairworld
Newly Registered

Post by fairworld » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:16 pm

deleted

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:02 pm

batleykhan wrote:
People are not obliged to take part in this discussion if they dont want to.
Ofcourse, that's the default position!!

As far as members being banned, it is something Mods dont take lightly. Normally several warnings are given unless the comments are so offensive that an immidiate ban is required.
I've seen cases, where there was no warning at all. They are BANNED for providing a link of a charity or some major speech.

There are a number of people on the forum who deliberately provoke trouble by making personal and offensive comments, which we as Mods have a duty to prevent.
I agree and just to make it clear, I am not talking about these people and I support these actions.

We are all grown up adults and it is possible to have a discussion without the need to get into a slanging match. If you cant do that, then dont take part.
Everyone needs to GROW UP, including Mods.

xleft
- thin ice -

Post by xleft » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:15 pm

In general, I like what Conservatives are proposing at the moment.

However, it is very important that all new changes are applied to new immigrants. Those who came legally and planned their life by previous rules must have long transitional arrangements, must receive permanent settlement status as they planned according to pre-reform rules, etc. If someone lived here for many years and then at the end of the journey, when only 1-2 years left, they change rules and it applies to this person as well, it is very unfair.

For example, if they plan to change Settlement rules, it must not affect those who lived here already more than 50% of required time by current rules.

Regarding marriages - I would increase amount of time required to be married (Again for all new marriages only) up to 5-7 years. I think it's not fair that if you work hard you have to live minimum 5 years in this country but if you got lucky and got married you live twice less. Plus it will significantly decrease sham marriages. I don't see it as too strict rule because if you are going to marry, you plan to live with the person your whole life, so 5-7 years is very short time. But I would also pay attention to the visa for victims of domestic violence so that there would be no slave-like relationship when someone is forced to stay in the relationship.

Regarding 8 years time limit on students visas - it is quite good. But all PHD students must be exempt from any limits because PHD takes quite a lot of time and PHD students are skilled enough to stay in this country anyway. UK won't suffer much if it gets more professors.

I also think that Scotland must launch Fresh Talent visa again. :idea:

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:27 pm

The problem with the Fresh Talent Working in Scotland scheme was that people just had to intend to work in Scotland, but once they got it they could work anywhere, and they did, making it useless to the Scottish government. It seems that Scotland does attract migrants, but even if they are qualified they end up in lower skilled work overall compared to migrants to London and the South East.

There have been a few million migrants move to the UK over the past ten or 20 years, if Scotland cannot attract their fair share I do not think that could be solved by making it easier to migrate to Scotland rather than the UK.

The Scottish government has already tried to have the points on Tier 2 for a job offer in Scotland lowered and failed. There is a MAC report on this.