ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from PSW to Student Visa Adult?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

asifkhan78
Mood:
Pakistan

Switching from PSW to Student Visa Adult?

Post by asifkhan78 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:27 am

I am posting this with a concern before lodging my application with the home office for a switch to student visa from a post study work permit. I came to the UK in September'06 to study for a Diploma in Economics and then MSc from University of Sheffield, and have successfully graduated in March '09. I, then switched to the post study work permit to get some work experience before pursuing a PhD, which expires on the 22nd of June'11. I now have an offer of place for a PhD beginning in the first week of Oct 201. However, i just noticed on the home office portal that my visa application will be refused if my course start date is later than one month before the expiry of my current visa. Now, I am really stressed out about having to travel back thousands of miles away and apply for the student visa only to cover 2 months difference. Yours feedback will make a world of difference to me and would be highly appreciated.
I need some solution....
Also my baby is due in first week of June, 2011 and my visa expires on 23 June 2011, in that case i want to stay in UK...coz travelling for my wife will be tough.

Kind Regards

ash786
BANNED

Re: Switching from PSW to Student Visa Adult?

Post by ash786 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:20 pm

asifkhan78 wrote:I am posting this with a concern before lodging my application with the home office for a switch to student visa from a post study work permit. I came to the UK in September'06 to study for a Diploma in Economics and then MSc from University of Sheffield, and have successfully graduated in March '09. I, then switched to the post study work permit to get some work experience before pursuing a PhD, which expires on the 22nd of June'11. I now have an offer of place for a PhD beginning in the first week of Oct 201. However, i just noticed on the home office portal that my visa application will be refused if my course start date is later than one month before the expiry of my current visa. Now, I am really stressed out about having to travel back thousands of miles away and apply for the student visa only to cover 2 months difference. Yours feedback will make a world of difference to me and would be highly appreciated.
I need some solution....
Also my baby is due in first week of June, 2011 and my visa expires on 23 June 2011, in that case i want to stay in UK...coz travelling for my wife will be tough.

Kind Regards
1. Stupid rules to make it difficult for students.
2. Unfortunately, there is no way out of this issue and you course needs to start 21 July and if afterward then your application will eb refused.
3. My suggestion is to speak to your uni advisor and see if you can start the course before you visa expires.
4. As far as i know PHD can be started throught the year but it might be different in u uni. My uni offers Jan, June and september dates.

asifkhan78
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by asifkhan78 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:10 pm

ash786 wrote:
asifkhan78 wrote:1. Stupid rules to make it difficult for students.
2. Unfortunately, there is no way out of this issue and you course needs to start 21 July and if afterward then your application will eb refused.
3. My suggestion is to speak to your uni advisor and see if you can start the course before you visa expires.
4. As far as i know PHD can be started throught the year but it might be different in u uni. My uni offers Jan, June and september dates.
Thanks ash786,
these are studpid rules no doubt...thanks for your suggestion anyway.
Can i ask which university u r talking about where courses start June, Spetember and Jan.
Tnx

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:36 pm

asifkhan78 wrote:
ash786 wrote:
Thanks ash786,
Can i ask which university u r talking about where courses start June, Spetember and Jan.
Tnx
hahaha ... I think none of the UK Universities starting courses JUNE/SEP/JAN... don't know which university @ash786 was talking about!!!
I think, you better get help from a good immigration solicitor- good means real good .
Last edited by sunmoon on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:41 pm

Most of the Uni's start in Sep/Oct, few start in Jan/Feb and very very few do start in June but its mostly for Top-Up or credit transfer courses.

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:12 pm

Aryan2013 wrote:Most of the Uni's start in Sep/Oct, few start in Jan/Feb and very very few do start in June but its mostly for Top-Up or credit transfer courses.
the OP was asking about a fresh start PhD program

ash786
BANNED

Post by ash786 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:19 pm

sunmoon wrote:
asifkhan78 wrote:
ash786 wrote:
Thanks ash786,
Tnx
hahaha ... I think none of the UK Universities starting courses JUNE/SEP/JAN... don't know which university @ash786 was talking about!!!
I think, you better get help from a good immigration solicitor- good means real good .
1. Do not comment on sumfin u dont know and have not got a clue.
2. People who join PHDs will know about it and i have already said that depends on the uni.
3. If you are moving from Masters to Phd u options are different and flexible to the ones who join afterwards.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/postgraduate/resea ... ourses/312

Anyway just to add to your little knowledge, i have added the above link from one of the top UK university which offers PHDs according to the course and the dates available.

Hop that will add to your knowledge.

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:32 pm

ash786 wrote:
sunmoon wrote:
asifkhan78 wrote:
ash786 wrote:
Thanks ash786,
Tnx
2. People who join PHDs will know about it and i have already said that depends on the uni.
3. If you are moving from Masters to Phd u options are different and flexible to the ones who join afterwards.

Anyway just to add to your little knowledge, i have added the above link from one of the top UK university which offers PHDs according to the course and the dates available.

try and understand OP's situation then comments... I can guess ur understanding about uk university intake system. I have already posted my opinion to the OP ... and this is the closing post for you my friend.

asifkhan78
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by asifkhan78 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:10 pm

ash786 wrote:
sunmoon wrote:
asifkhan78 wrote:
ash786 wrote:
Thanks ash786,
Tnx

Thanks ash786 and sunmoon.....i will look at this link.
I just want to discuss another option..
what if I decide to apply to a registered/listed/highly trusted college just to ccover these three or two months....i mean to kill the time and then later on switch to my PhD.....will it work i mean switiching would be easy or not....i heard that switiching sponsor is like criminal offence..
Any ideas? and will this option work?????
Last edited by asifkhan78 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ash786
BANNED

Post by ash786 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:37 pm

sunmoon wrote:
ash786 wrote:
sunmoon wrote:
asifkhan78 wrote:

try and understand OP's situation then comments... I can guess ur understanding about uk university intake system. I have already posted my opinion to the OP ... and this is the closing post for you my friend.
1. The one who wanted the information has got it.
2. The one who cud not understand how PHDs works shud not post any commects to this thread anymore and perhaps search to gain sum basic knowledge.

ash786
BANNED

Post by ash786 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:39 pm

asifkhan78 wrote:
ash786 wrote:
sunmoon wrote:
asifkhan78 wrote:

Thanks ash786...i will look at it....thanks for your assistance
1. That is not a problem.
2. I wud recommned you to speak to your Phd course leader and ask for any alternative dates for the course.

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:43 pm

ash786 wrote:
sunmoon wrote:
ash786 wrote:
sunmoon wrote:

2. The one who cud not understand how PHDs works shud not post any commects to this thread anymore and perhaps search to gain sum basic knowledge.
you are not smelling like a research student.

asifkhan78
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by asifkhan78 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:28 pm

sunmoon wrote:
ash786 wrote:
sunmoon wrote:
ash786 wrote:
I am research student..but dont want to go back home country..coz my baby is expecting first week of June....and also i dont want leave to enter but leave to remain...as i have spent 7 years in UK lawfully and i am looking forward to 10 years lawful stay....I hope u would understand my point.

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:59 pm

asifkhan78 wrote: ...as i have spent 7 years in UK lawfully and i am looking forward to 10 years lawful stay....
If and only IF(this is a BIG if) 10 years Long residence will survive for the next 3 years!!
What makes you so confident that this rule will survive??

Also, I don't think it is wise to invest more than £50K+ as the goal post can be moved any time.

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:01 am

asifkhan78 wrote:
sunmoon wrote:
ash786 wrote:
sunmoon wrote:
I am research student..but dont want to go back home country..coz my baby is expecting first week of June....and also i dont want leave to enter but leave to remain...as i have spent 7 years in UK lawfully and i am looking forward to 10 years lawful stay....I hope u would understand my point.
@asifkhan " you are not smelling like a research student" sorry the response was not for you.. that was for the person who (have done a BA in Business Management in 2009 from a college then got a PSW visa and recently switched back to student visa but there is gap of 3 months before he starts his MBA, again in a college and (wants to work full time those 3 months)!!! and giving big big lecture about every issue ) try to show that he knows every thing, but from his early days posts in this forum I came to know that he never been to a University in UK and PhD ? I guess he doesn't even know what it is !!!

asif sorry for your situation. as I told you in my previous post you better consult with a good immigration advisor, lots of things UKBA consider beyond the guideline based on special circumstances. as you mentioned your wife expecting baby in June, who knows that could be a ground. If you don't mind could you tell the forum if you have a funded PhD position or you are self funding. wish you all the best.
Last edited by sunmoon on Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:12 am

asifkhan78 wrote: I am research student..but dont want to go back home country..coz my baby is expecting first week of June....and also i dont want leave to enter but leave to remain...as i have spent 7 years in UK lawfully and i am looking forward to 10 years lawful stay....I hope u would understand my point.
leave to enter or leave to remain it doesn't matter for 10 yrs long residency based ILR. If you leave the UK before your present leave expires and come back with in 180 days(6 months) with a new entry clearance, your continuous residency will not be broken and you will still be eligible for the ILR on 10 yrs based.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:07 am

If your visa expires on 22 June and your baby is due first week of June then you have time to be here for the birth and then return home to apply for entry clearance afterwards.

Sunmoon's last post regarding leave to enter and the 10 year rule is correct.

I think you will get yourself into a mess if you try enroll on another course just to fill the gap. You would also need to apply for further leave to remain under tier 4 again in order to then enroll on your PhD as tier 4 visas are tied to a specific sponsor.

On another note what is your partner's immigration status?

asifkhan78
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by asifkhan78 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:20 pm

sunmoon wrote:
asifkhan78 wrote: I am research student..but dont want to go back home country..coz my baby is expecting first week of June....and also i dont want leave to enter but leave to remain...as i have spent 7 years in UK lawfully and i am looking forward to 10 years lawful stay....I hope u would understand my point.
leave to enter or leave to remain it doesn't matter for 10 yrs long residency based ILR. If you leave the UK before your present leave expires and come back with in 180 days(6 months) with a new entry clearance, your continuous residency will not be broken and you will still be eligible for the ILR on 10 yrs based.
if this is the case then i will go back to my country and apply for PhD....
thanks for your encouraging post...it is really helpful...

asifkhan78
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by asifkhan78 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:22 pm

Greenie wrote:If your visa expires on 22 June and your baby is due first week of June then you have time to be here for the birth and then return home to apply for entry clearance afterwards.

Sunmoon's last post regarding leave to enter and the 10 year rule is correct.

I think you will get yourself into a mess if you try enroll on another course just to fill the gap. You would also need to apply for further leave to remain under tier 4 again in order to then enroll on your PhD as tier 4 visas are tied to a specific sponsor.

On another note what is your partner's immigration status?
thanks Greenie......i think i need to consult immigration lawyer..what u think...my wife current status is PSW Dependant....

asifkhan78
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by asifkhan78 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:23 pm

quote]

@asifkhan " you are not smelling like a research student" sorry the response was not for you.. that was for the person who (have done a BA in Business Management in 2009 from a college then got a PSW visa and recently switched back to student visa but there is gap of 3 months before he starts his MBA, again in a college and (wants to work full time those 3 months)!!! and giving big big lecture about every issue ) try to show that he knows every thing, but from his early days posts in this forum I came to know that he never been to a University in UK and PhD ? I guess he doesn't even know what it is !!!

asif sorry for your situation. as I told you in my previous post you better consult with a good immigration advisor, lots of things UKBA consider beyond the guideline based on special circumstances. as you mentioned your wife expecting baby in June, who knows that could be a ground. If you don't mind could you tell the forum if you have a funded PhD position or you are self funding. wish you all the best.[/quote]
thanks ash786...i will consult an immigration lawyer...thank u very much

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:06 pm

asifkhan78 wrote: if this is the case then i will go back to my country and apply for PhD....
thanks for your encouraging post...it is really helpful...
ASIF please check your private message inbox.

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:06 pm