ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 (General) queries ....

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Suzie Canuck
Newly Registered

Tier 1 (General) queries ....

Post by Suzie Canuck » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:55 am

Hi,

I hoped someone could help me with a couple questions I have re: tier 1.

1. Is it ok to study on tier 1? I want to start a 1 year university course (to convert my professional qualification); although the course is classed "fulltime" I only have to attend 2 days a week, and would therefore work 3 days a week. Is there any restriction on study, or any particular work/study balance that has to be maintained??

2. Currently, I qualify to renew my tier 1 visa, and also to switch into a partner category. If an application to switch into another category is refused, will that be looked on unfavourably when it comes time to extend my tier 1 visa? (ie - what effect do visa refusals have on future applications)?

Thanks; any advice is appreciated!
Suz

sofie
Newly Registered

Post by sofie » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:07 pm

yes Suzie.
it is ok to study. there is no any restriction on study. the only restriction is that you have to earn enough money to meet the points. even if you be a full time student and do a part time job as long as you earn enough money that would be ok.

sorry I dont know about your 2nd question.

[iD]

Re: Can Tier 1 (General) migrant study?

Post by [iD] » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:27 pm

Suzie Canuck wrote:Hi,

I hoped someone could help me with a couple questions I have re: tier 1.

1. Is it ok to study on tier 1? I want to start a 1 year university course (to convert my professional qualification); although the course is classed "fulltime" I only have to attend 2 days a week, and would therefore work 3 days a week. Is there any restriction on study, or any particular work/study balance that has to be maintained??

As long as your can satisfy your points requirement at the end of your visa, you should be good.

2. Currently, I qualify to renew my tier 1 visa, and also to switch into a partner category. If an application to switch into another category is refused, will that be looked on unfavourably when it comes time to extend my tier 1 visa? (ie - what effect do visa refusals have on future applications)?

Again, As long as you can satisfy the points requirement for your extension, you're good to go. Your other application has nothing to do with your current stay.

Thanks; any advice is appreciated!
Suz
Goodluck.

Suzie Canuck
Newly Registered

Post by Suzie Canuck » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:48 pm

Well, this is the issue. I would probably fall just short of the earnings requirement, but am planning to switch into the unmarried partner category anyway as soon as I have enough evidence...I understand I'd be taking a calculated risk.

Would it be seen as a violation of my visa conditions to be studying. And would studying part-time whilst on Tier 1 be looked upon unfavourably when I switch to the new visa category???

Thanks all - really appreciate your input.

Suz