ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

working holiday visa expired, but want to stay in Ireland

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

funkymonkey
Newly Registered

working holiday visa expired, but want to stay in Ireland

Post by funkymonkey » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:33 pm

Hi there! I'm an Australian who has been living in Ireland for the past 12 months on a working holiday visa. Against the rules of the WHV, I have been working for the same employer for the duration of my visit, and wish to remain in the country within the same job.
My employer has offered to apply for a work permit for me, but here we start having problems ...... not only is there a long application process involved (at least 2 - 3 months I'm told) but also the possibility that the application may be refused because my job title is head barman, and bartending is not classed as a highly skilled job. We considered making up a fake position of restaurant manager, but this may still be declined!
Every government department I telephone just passes me on to the next, and I'm sick of getting the run around! I really want to stay here in Ireland, but am worried about being deported, and not alowed to re-enter the country if I do go home to Aust. I hear there is a 3 month period after my visa has expired allowing me time to sort out work permits/visas/travel arrangements ...... can anyone corfirm this for me?

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:07 am

the only department you need to go after for your workpermit is department of enterprise in adelaide road dublin 2. wihtout the workpermit. the only option you have is exist and reenter ireland every 3 months to make yourself have legal status in ireland. i do not know if you have any 3rd level education qualification. if you do, try to apply for some other job. i know people graduated in ireland with an accounting degree and she still working in the accounting firm in ireland as a trainee with a student visa after she finished her degree because her workpermit has been refused. if you trying to get a workpermit with a job in the bar. i think it would be very difficult to get a work permit but it is possible. take a look at the following link:

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:io ... clnk&cd=10

this is one of the documents from deparmtent of enterprise. in page 10, it is saying it is possible to extend your staying if your employer willing to keep u, but it does not say the deparmtne of enterprise will garentee the workpermit issued, but it said your employer can apply tho, will the department issue it or not, thats another story.

the other thing i would like to mention is about the processing time for the workpermit. it is about 6 weeks. not 3 months.

the other option about your legal status in the country is the permission to remain. if you dont want to exist and re enter the country every 3 months. what u can do is go to the GNIB in burgh quay and check with them to extend your existing permission to remain. if you can get that extend, you wont have to leave until the new permission to remain expired. u have to come up with a very good reason before they extend it. just ask them if u were here for whvisa and u would like to stay longer for travelling and u have enough funding to do so without working. OR u can go down to the GNIB with a letter from your employer. the letter would say the work permit has been applied for u. usual case, the GNIB will extend your permission to remain for 2 or 3 months, but after that. they mostly wont renew it unless u can come up with a workpermit!

i would think a letter from employer saying workpermit been applied for is a better idea. so talk to your employer about this. i have done this myself. they gave me 3 months right the way without asking any question.

and if i were u, do this asap before your permission to remain expired because the people down in GNIB might start to give u trouble and start to ask question why the permission to remain expired. if ur late for a week or so to renew ur permission to remain is ok, but if u leave it any longer, heheeh, i dont know!

dont just run around government departments anymore. the only 2 u need is department of enterprise and GNIB!!!!! since your australian, u dont need a visa so at least u can skip the department of foreign affair.

hope this help, good luck!