ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apply EEA family permit or settlement visa?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Climate10
Newly Registered

Apply EEA family permit or settlement visa?

Post by Climate10 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:24 am

A citizen of a EEA country lives and works in the UK for 3 years.

Now he wants to bring his parents to the UK permanently.

The parents have an asian passport, but they live legally in a EEA country. They have a permanent residence permit for this EEA country.

When the son wants to bring his parents to UK, can he do it by this EEA family permit rule or must the parents apply for settlement visa (for eldery person)?

I think it is easier to apply for EEA family permit, but I dont know if it applies to this situation.

Just suppose in the case that a EEA family permit applies, must one show that the parents are (financially) dependant on the son?
Last edited by Climate10 on Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:40 am

To make use of the UK route (settlement) the EEA national needs to have obtained permanent residence status (typically after 5 years). The EEA route requires material dependency, see the ECIS.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:44 am

A settlement visa application will not succeed because the EEA national had not aquired the Permanent right of residence.

Try applying for an EEA family permit.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Climate10
Newly Registered

Post by Climate10 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:46 am

Thanks 86ti.

Just for my clearification:

1) If the son obtaines a permanent residence permit (after 5 years), then he can take the UK route (Settlement visa).

2) As the son lives now since 3 years, he can go the EEA route (EEA family permit), but must show that the parents are financially dependant on their son, right?

In how far must the parents be dependant? In UK route it is stated (completely or mainly), but what about EEA route?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:49 am

Reading the links in the posts above will help.

Climate10
Newly Registered

Post by Climate10 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:52 am

Thanks I will do reading it now...

btw, the reason why I am a little bit confused...

2 years ago the parents went with family permit application form to the British embassy (in a EEA country), but they directly refused to take the application as they were told that the EEA family permit application form is not the correct one, but they rather should apply for tourist visa.

So, it could be that at that time the clerk was not really aware of the rules.

siv123

Proving dependency?

Post by siv123 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:50 pm

JSo, the answer here would be to prove the dependency. You must prove it by showing regular remittances to your parents. But What are other requirements? I am not sure I am anyone has really experience from this kind of case? I have been unable so far to find any post where someone got this kind of permit. I am considering doing the same but cannot find any real example of non-EEA parents getting EEA family permit.
Would be nice If someone share his experience.

Climate10 wrote:Thanks I will do reading it now...

2 years ago the parents went with family permit application form to the British embassy (in a EEA country), but they directly refused to take the application as they were told that the EEA family permit application form is not the correct one, but they rather should apply for tourist visa.

So, it could be that at that time the clerk was not really aware of the rules.
Last edited by siv123 on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

siv123

Post by siv123 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:15 pm

Were you parents dependent on you when they went to British embassy two years ago?

Thanks I will do reading it now...

So, it could be that at that time the clerk was not really aware of the rules.[/quote]