ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Banking

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Frankie101
Newly Registered

UK Banking

Post by Frankie101 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:00 pm

Hi everyone, i am new here!

I was wondering what UK bank was the best? i have moved over only recently, and want a bank account, but i do not know which is best?

any help will be appreciated thank you :)

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:54 pm

How can anyone tell you which one is the best? Did you google to check most preferred banks in the UK, customer service ratings, deposits, benefits etc???? Everyone will have their own personal favourite - while one person may love Natwest another will say its the worst bank ever :-)

Anyway most global banks are good so if you stick with HSBC, Natwest, Halifax etc it should be fine. Santander has been known to have the highest customer complaints officially so might as well stay away from them.

I am sure there are others on the forum who will have their own opinion but as I said right at the start - there is no SINGLE best bank!!!!

KP

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:16 am

kenfrapin wrote:
Anyway most global banks are good so if you stick with HSBC, Natwest, Halifax etc it should be fine. Santander has been known to have the highest customer complaints officially so might as well stay away from them.

KP
Seems that Santander have lost their top spot :lol:

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/859578-barc ... in-britain

rkumar
Newly Registered

Post by rkumar » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:42 pm

Ok, I have decided between HSBC and Lloyds.

My reasons, most of my friends have HSBC account and don't seem to have a problem.

But, I have a problem with HSBC, since I still am yet to get a job, they will only give me a basic account, and a card which I can only use for ATM withdrawal and not for swiping in shops etc. It can be converted to a normal account if a minimum of 500 pounds will be credited every month.

I went to Lloyds bank the other day, to convert Travellers Cheques (for which they do not charge) and enquired about account opening, they are willing to give me a full fledged account.

So I have 2 options,
1. Go to Lloyds and straight away and get a full account.
2. Get the HSBC basic account and wait until I get a job to convert it into a full account.

I am more inclined towards going to Lloyds and getting a full fledged account.

Any pointers / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
RK.

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:22 pm

rkumar wrote:Ok, I have decided between HSBC and Lloyds.

My reasons, most of my friends have HSBC account and don't seem to have a problem.

But, I have a problem with HSBC, since I still am yet to get a job, they will only give me a basic account, and a card which I can only use for ATM withdrawal and not for swiping in shops etc. It can be converted to a normal account if a minimum of 500 pounds will be credited every month.

I went to Lloyds bank the other day, to convert Travellers Cheques (for which they do not charge) and enquired about account opening, they are willing to give me a full fledged account.

So I have 2 options,
1. Go to Lloyds and straight away and get a full account.
2. Get the HSBC basic account and wait until I get a job to convert it into a full account.

I am more inclined towards going to Lloyds and getting a full fledged account.

Any pointers / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
RK.
Account which gives you easier/better access to your money should be prefered. Cash account will restrict you to shops and HSBC ATM's (in your case). You will be able to use your HSBC card in shops, but you will be charged if you want to withdraw cash from lets say a Lloyd's Bank ATM on a HSBC Cash Account card. Once you get your job, you can open it with HSBC if you want to.

rkumar
Newly Registered

Post by rkumar » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:19 pm

Ok, I just visited both Loyds and HSBC and both of them only had the basic account option for me, since I am without a job at the moment.

When I asked if I can go ahead and open the basic account now and then convert it into a standard account when I get my job, seems it would take upto 3 months (HSBC) and 6 months (Llyods) to do the conversion.

Decided to wait.

Regards,
RK.