ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Canary Wharf - where to live

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Oriental
Newly Registered

Canary Wharf - where to live

Post by Oriental » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:21 am

Hello,

I've got a job offer with office in Canary Wharf and looking to rent a 2 bedroom accomodation. The criteria are:

1. Easy commute
2. Good Primary & Secondary schools
3. Safe and family friendly
4. Rent less than 1,000 pcm
5. Preferably Indian stuff and communities nereby

Anyone can please help with information on the suitable locations.

Thanks

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:41 am

Your criteria are exclusive...

If you want easy commute to Canary Wharf, you will have to live in East London - but that means that your criterias 2 and 3 won't be met.

If you want 2 and 3 - then forget about 1 and 4.

Oriental
Newly Registered

Post by Oriental » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:48 am

Thanks wunder! Let me rephrase...in order of priority it is 2-3-4-1-5. Any suggestions?

vp77

Post by vp77 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:55 am

Hi Oriental,

May I ask you in which field you got the job offer? Since I need information on the current job market in banking / finance there.

Oriental
Newly Registered

Post by Oriental » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 pm

Insurance

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:14 pm

Oriental wrote:Thanks wunder! Let me rephrase...in order of priority it is 2-3-4-1-5. Any suggestions?
I think parts of South East (areas near the railway lines that pass Greenwich or Lewisham stations - where you can change to DLR and get to Canary Wharf relatively easily) or places like Romford in North East.

In South East try Catford, Charlton, Elham, Bexley. Avoid known bad spots like Thamesmead, New Cross, or Lewisham though.

In North East I'd say Romford, Gants Hill, Redbridge, Hainault. Avoid anything in the East London (anything in Hackney, Tower Hamlets, or Newham boroughs) - 'cause frankly it is shit.

Look at National Rail journey planner or TfL equivalent and try to measure time to travel.

Oriental
Newly Registered

Post by Oriental » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:10 pm

Thanks wunder. I've heard Greenwich and North Greenwich are also good for family living and schools and also direct commute to Canary Wharf.
Any idea about this?

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:39 pm

Greenwich - yes, but it will be quite expensive
North Greenwich - no on family living (it is similar to East London really), yes on direct commute

P.S. Just to clarify things - North Greenwich is not in Greenwich, we are talking about two completely separate areas :wink:

Tweedum
Newly Registered

Greenwich and Blackheath

Post by Tweedum » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:04 am

This two places have good schools

ferrarilondon
Member of Standing

Post by ferrarilondon » Thu May 05, 2011 9:59 am

Who says redbridge is shit? it got the best schools in the whole east london area. I work in property sector and a lot of people are moving in redbridge area. Also Newham is host borough of Olympics. if it was Shit according to Wunder why the hell would they choose . try renting anything in Stratford , havent you seen new developments in Stratford area. talk about luxury

paulmu

Post by paulmu » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:35 pm

Why not try East Dulwich - it's my neck of the woods. Good for families, reasonable rent, and not that difficult to get to London Bridge (Southern Rail, 11 mins from Peckham Rye Station) and from there take the Jubilee line to CW.
PM