ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration problem at UK border ?(Manchester)

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sabhishekabhis
Newly Registered

Immigration problem at UK border ?(Manchester)

Post by sabhishekabhis » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:02 pm

Hi All,

I am a masters student in Manchester University and have submitted my dissertation as a masters thesis.I am suppose to receive to my masters result in third week of June 2011 and my expected graduation ceremony is on 11th July 2011.
My student visa is valid till 1st July 2011,So I was suppose to apply for my PSW visa in fourth week of June 2011 (as my school told me that they will give me my result and PSW letter after board of examination meeting and that is suppose to held in 3rd week of June).
I have received my unconfirmed marks from my school and that is I am passed,but I can not apply psw on this basis as school will give me final and confirmed marks only after board of examination meeting.
Everything was going well,but all of sudden now I have to go to my home country because of some emergency asap within 1 week and for 3 weeks.I am planning to go in last week of April and back in third week of May.I have been suggested from my friends and lawyer that might be immigration officer will stop me at border as I have my visa till 1st july only and I cant attend Graduation ceremony on this visa,might be they will not allow me to come back just only to receive result and apply for PSW visa from UK.however my university told me that it is no problem,you can go and try to come at-least 1 month before your visa expire,no one is going to stop you at border,they have given me a letter of authorization also but actually that letter is showing that I am graduating on 11th July.

Any suggestion,Should I go to my home for 1 months.Any help will be very much valuable for me.
P.S. I have to go to my home as it is very necessary and urgent.

Thanks in advance
Abhi

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:06 pm

Once you submit the dissertation your course is complete. You may be refused entry at a UK port under 321A(1).
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

sabhishekabhis
Newly Registered

Many thanks for response.

Post by sabhishekabhis » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:01 pm

Many thanks for quick reply,
But I have a letter from my university which shows that I can come here to get my result and can apply for psw visa before my current visa expire.Student service center people are suggesting that you can go with this letter,there should not be any problem if you will come back early and keep this letter with you.
Any thoughts please.

ash786
BANNED

Re: Immigration problem at UK border ?(Manchester)

Post by ash786 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:05 pm

sabhishekabhis wrote:Hi All,

I am a masters student in Manchester University and have submitted my dissertation as a masters thesis.I am suppose to receive to my masters result in third week of June 2011 and my expected graduation ceremony is on 11th July 2011.
My student visa is valid till 1st July 2011,So I was suppose to apply for my PSW visa in fourth week of June 2011 (as my school told me that they will give me my result and PSW letter after board of examination meeting and that is suppose to held in 3rd week of June).
I have received my unconfirmed marks from my school and that is I am passed,but I can not apply psw on this basis as school will give me final and confirmed marks only after board of examination meeting.
Everything was going well,but all of sudden now I have to go to my home country because of some emergency asap within 1 week and for 3 weeks.I am planning to go in last week of April and back in third week of May.I have been suggested from my friends and lawyer that might be immigration officer will stop me at border as I have my visa till 1st july only and I cant attend Graduation ceremony on this visa,might be they will not allow me to come back just only to receive result and apply for PSW visa from UK.however my university told me that it is no problem,you can go and try to come at-least 1 month before your visa expire,no one is going to stop you at border,they have given me a letter of authorization also but actually that letter is showing that I am graduating on 11th July.

Any suggestion,Should I go to my home for 1 months.Any help will be very much valuable for me.
P.S. I have to go to my home as it is very necessary and urgent.

Thanks in advance
Abhi
1. U wana be on the safe side, get u PSW visa and then leave the UK.
2. Do not take any chances on this as UKBA is very strict and looking for any chnace to refuse your entry.

sabhishekabhis
Newly Registered

Thanks again

Post by sabhishekabhis » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:08 pm

Thanks again for your kind suggestions.

terriblescream
Pakistan

Post by terriblescream » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:10 am

There shouldn't be a problem, I was on Tier 4 Visa valid until 30th April, and I finished my course early in September 2010.

I entered the UK twice, once in January 2011 on T4 visa without being a student, I was asked couple of questions as to when are u due at Uni, I said I have finished my course and intend to apply PSW.

I left the UK at the end of jan and entered back on 22 March 11 with 1month and 8 days to my expriy. I was asked agian where did you study I told them my uni's name and now what, I told I will apply PSW.

Stamped and in the UK :)

As long as you have a month left on your visa, there shouldn't be a problem.

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:47 am

terriblescream wrote:There shouldn't be a problem, I was on Tier 4 Visa valid until 30th April, and I finished my course early in September 2010.

I entered the UK twice, once in January 2011 on T4 visa without being a student, I was asked couple of questions as to when are u due at Uni, I said I have finished my course and intend to apply PSW.

I left the UK at the end of jan and entered back on 22 March 11 with 1month and 8 days to my expriy. I was asked agian where did you study I told them my uni's name and now what, I told I will apply PSW.

Stamped and in the UK :)

As long as you have a month left on your visa, there shouldn't be a problem.
Exactly !!! If they refuse entry after finished the course then what is the reason for giving 4 months extra visa.. during searching for a job (4 months) why someone can't visit their family back home ? One thing we should see and understand the OP completed his Masters from the Uni of Manchester not from a Visa college.

terriblescream
Pakistan

Post by terriblescream » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:52 am

sunmoon wrote: Exactly !!! If they refuse entry after finished the course then what is the reason for giving 4 months extra visa.. during searching for a job (4 months) why someone can't visit their family back home ? One thing we should see and understand the OP completed his Masters from the Uni of Manchester not from a Visa college.
Truee...mines was from a University in London as well, I have heard this problem many times, but not once but twice entered on same situation as OP is, I had more than 4months leave remaining after finishing my course about 5 months so as it was under 6months it was not curtailed.

I dont see any problem unless the IO at the UK Border is really very strict even then, there shouldnt be a problem

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:03 am

terriblescream wrote:
sunmoon wrote: Exactly !!! If they refuse entry after finished the course then what is the reason for giving 4 months extra visa.. during searching for a job (4 months) why someone can't visit their family back home ? One thing we should see and understand the OP completed his Masters from the Uni of Manchester not from a Visa college.
Truee...mines was from a University in London as well, I have heard this problem many times, but not once but twice entered on same situation as OP is, I had more than 4months leave remaining after finishing my course about 5 months so as it was under 6months it was not curtailed.

I dont see any problem unless the IO at the UK Border is really very strict even then, there shouldnt be a problem
UKBA never said during those extra 4 months students can not travel overseas. Because of the recent changes on student visa system all International students are scared but they should understand that the new rules bring bad luck only for so-called visa colleges students, I don't see any thing bad for proper University students except bringing dependants during undergraduate course.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:05 am

A word of caution:

It is easier to find posts on public forum(s) offering advice based on individual experience(s) on how one was "lucky" to pass through immigration control, as compared to finding information feedback / experience(s) from people whose leave was cancelled at the port and put on a return flight.

The intention is not to scare the OP or anyone else, but just responding to the "assertions" made above - to help OP / someone else in a similar situation to make an informed decision.

sunmoon, there is no provision in the law to allow entry to a graduate from "a university" in but refuse entry to a graduate from "visa college", assuming both graduates had the same circumstances.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

terriblescream
Pakistan

Post by terriblescream » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:12 am

sushdmehta wrote:A word of caution:

It is easier to find posts on public forum(s) offering advice based on individual experience(s) on how one was "lucky" to pass through immigration control, as compared to finding information feedback / experience(s) from people whose leave was cancelled at the port and put on a return flight.

The intention is not to scare the OP or anyone else, but just responding to the "assertions" made above - to help OP / someone else in a similar situation to make an informed decision.

sunmoon, there is no provision in the law to allow entry to a graduate from "a university" in but refuse entry to a graduate from "visa college", assuming both graduates had the same circumstances.
True sushdmehta, I shared my experience and encountered no problem twice and know quite a few friends in similar situation and ultimately the decision lies with OP whether to go ahead or not in this situation and yes indeed there is such law differentiating uni or college student.

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:17 am

sushdmehta wrote:Once you submit the dissertation your course is complete. You may be refused entry at a UK port under 321A(1).
probably 321A(1)... change in circumstances... rules doesn't apply for students during their 4 months extra visa as UKBA knew it if the course is completed the circumstances will be changed and still they give extra 4 months to look for a job.

terriblescream
Pakistan

Post by terriblescream » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:21 am

Probably yes because to me also 4months extra doesnt make sense if the person cannot travel outside UK.

Can only be confirmed by a legal advisor/solicitor