ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ghotanekanchha
Newly Registered

ILR

Post by ghotanekanchha » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:15 am

Dear all,

I have been in the UK for the last 19 months as a student. I am above the age of 18 years and am currently living with my parents who have ILR already. My father is in disability benefit and my mum is his full time carer. I am their only son so would like to secure my duty to look after them but I feel uncertain due to student visa. Can I apply for an ILR on the grounds of my parents' circumstances?

ash786
BANNED

Re: ILR

Post by ash786 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:02 pm

ghotanekanchha wrote:Dear all,

I have been in the UK for the last 19 months as a student. I am above the age of 18 years and am currently living with my parents who have ILR already. My father is in disability benefit and my mum is his full time carer. I am their only son so would like to secure my duty to look after them but I feel uncertain due to student visa. Can I apply for an ILR on the grounds of my parents' circumstances?
1. I do not understand that if your parents have ILR then why r u on student visa.
2. U are automatically entitled to register as a british citizen on the basis that u father has ILR.
3. Did nobody told you about this before.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:13 pm

ash786 wrote:U are automatically entitled to register as a british citizen on the basis that u father has ILR.
Only if the child is born in the UK and is a minor (under 18 ).

Did nobody told you about this before. :wink:
Last edited by geriatrix on Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:24 pm

ghotanekanchha wrote:Can I apply for an ILR on the grounds of my parents' circumstances?
No.

jami
Member of Standing

Post by jami » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:46 pm

It is possible but other way round. For that you have to go back and apply from home country for ILR. Reference is at :
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply ... e#22694467
and reads as under

"If you are over 18 and have a parent settled in the UK, or if you are a sister, brother, aunt, uncle or any other relative of a person settled in the UK, you may qualify if you meet the conditions listed in the previous paragraph and you are living alone in the most exceptional compassionate circumstances."

ash786
BANNED

Post by ash786 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:40 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
ash786 wrote:U are automatically entitled to register as a british citizen on the basis that u father has ILR.
Only if the child is born in the UK and is a minor (under 18 ).

Did nobody told you about this before. :wink:
1. Actually sumbody did tell me and that is wat i have said that if the OP parents have got ILR then why bother being on a student visa.
2. Please read the post and understand it before goving your valuable opinion.

ash786
BANNED

Post by ash786 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:43 pm

jami wrote:It is possible but other way round. For that you have to go back and apply from home country for ILR. Reference is at :
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply ... e#22694467
and reads as under

"If you are over 18 and have a parent settled in the UK, or if you are a sister, brother, aunt, uncle or any other relative of a person settled in the UK, you may qualify if you meet the conditions listed in the previous paragraph and you are living alone in the most exceptional compassionate circumstances."
1. Sumbody atleast gave sum good suggestion.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:21 am

ash786 wrote:1. Actually sumbody did tell me and that is wat i have said that if the OP parents have got ILR then why bother being on a student visa.
2. Please read the post and understand it before goving your valuable opinion.
2. U are automatically entitled to register as a british citizen on the basis that u father has ILR
You made an assertion without knowing the facts and it is that assertion that I have corrected. ... in the same tone that you responded to the OP. So, if you got miffed by the tone of my response you can logically expect the OP to be equally miffed by the tone of your response! Hope you don't miss the point this time.

As for why the OP is on Tier 4 / student leave, there could be many reasons which only the OP can clarify e.g. - he did not qualify for settlement as a minor dependant when either of his parents applied for settlement or he was already an adult and living outside UK when he applied for Tier 4 leave.

As for the other good suggestion, it may not work since the OP has been living in the UK on a Tier 4 / student leave and with his parents. Amongst the many requirements under the older dependant relative category there is one which requires the applicant to be "living alone outside the UK in the most exceptional compassionate circumstances".
Last edited by geriatrix on Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.