ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Supplementary Work

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nawaz

Supplementary Work

Post by nawaz » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:43 pm

Hello everyone,

I would appreciate some advice on my current situation.

I have been in UK since 2008 on a work permit which was recently switched into a Tier 2 General visa under transitional arrangements before April 6, 2011. My current employment and visa runs until the end of this year. I have been offered a similar position by another employer. The new employer is willing to let me work for the old employer on a part time basis.

Now I am thinking of switching my Tier 2 visa to the new employer using a new CoS by this new employer. And continue to work with the current employer on a part time basis. Both of the positions involve same work and at the similar pay scale. I have gone through the 'Conditions of stay' page on UKBA website here http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... onditions/ and it seems that it shouldn't be a problem.

I just wanted to confirm that it is indeed the case and that I am not missing something. Would really appreciate some advice. Thanks.

Namrata_Rai
Newly Registered

Post by Namrata_Rai » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:33 pm

Hi Nawaz

Can you please let me know what do you mean by 'part time' job? is it based on the number of hours of work? or is it based on the number of days of work eg work doing on saturdays and sundays?

also one thing to find is that the type of company which is employing you on 'part time'? Can it be a umbrella/consultant or has to be the Client directlly?

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:13 pm

you will not need a COS to work from your current MAIN employer if you will be working part time for them in near future.

Your job title /salary should be ATLEAST what the code of practice suggests for both jobs.

things like 'similar' job title/salary is not good enough! be specific

Namrata_Rai
Newly Registered

Post by Namrata_Rai » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:53 pm

Hello Guru

Can you please share the link for code of practice?

Also can you please let me know if we needs to inform the main employer in case we want to join part time job?

Also is there any limitation on the type of company to join as part time? Can it be an umbrella company?

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:47 pm

Namrata_Rai wrote:Hello Guru

Can you please share the link for code of practice?
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/emplo ... fpractice/
look on the right hand side under 'policy and law' for the document itself

Also can you please let me know if we needs to inform the main employer in case we want to join part time job?
not necessary. whatever you do in your own time, does not concern your main employer, atleast from immigration point of view

Also is there any limitation on the type of company to join as part time? Can it be an umbrella company?
Yes, the limitation is you must be doing job which falls under the same category your CURRENT/valid cos was issued under. As far as i know, doesnt change anything if you work for an individual or a company!

nawaz

Post by nawaz » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:48 pm

arsenal49,

Thank you for your reply. I have looked at the code of practice and both my current job and the new offered job have the same SOC code. The full-time salary for both of the jobs is higher than 20K which clears the 15K specified in the code of practice and the requirement of Tier 2.

I am planning to switch from my current employer to the new employer so would need a new CoS from the new employer. Though I plan to continue to work part-time with the current employer. From what I have seen at UKBA website, it seems it should be alright. I was wondering if I have missed something?

nawaz

Post by nawaz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:31 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a followup query. My wife has applied for her Tier 2 General Dependant visa from overseas and we are still waiting for it to be granted. I am hoping that her visa is granted soon and then we can switch to the new CoS from the new employer together.

However, if her visa doesn't come through soon, I might have to apply for the new Tier 2 visa using the CoS from the new employer. What effect or complications it could have for my wife's visa as that was applied on the basis of my current visa and CoS. Would we have to send in a "Change of circumstances" form. Since we have to go through VFS I was wondering if there was a possibility of the case worker looking into her case and taking a decision before the form arrives at British High Commission?

Would really appreciate some advice on this.

Thank you and best regards