ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Am I a British Citizen?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Qplus
Newly Registered

Am I a British Citizen?

Post by Qplus » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:04 pm

I am A Nigerian born to a father with a British Passport. He got his passport in 1960 before Nigeria got independence , travelled to Uk, worked and studied for over 14 years before returning to Nigeria. He is late now, and i happen to have his passport with me. can i claim a British citizen status under ancestry?

Monifé

Post by Monifé » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:50 pm

I think you are entitled to a British passport provided your parents were married before, on or after your birth.

I am an Irish citizen but am also a British citizen and entitled to (and have received) a British passport due to my father being a British citizen when I was born.

For my passport application, I had to enclose my birth certificate, my fathers birth certificate, my fathers passport and my parents marriage certificate. Contact your local British embassy.

More Information
beloved is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out - Pierre Berton

ash786
BANNED

Re: Am I a British Citizen?

Post by ash786 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:09 pm

Qplus wrote:I am A Nigerian born to a father with a British Passport. He got his passport in 1960 before Nigeria got independence , travelled to Uk, worked and studied for over 14 years before returning to Nigeria. He is late now, and i happen to have his passport with me. can i claim a British citizen status under ancestry?
1. If your father was a british citizen then yes you are entitled to be registered as a british citizen becasue of your father.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:43 am

Qplus wrote:I am A Nigerian born to a father with a British Passport. He got his passport in 1960 before Nigeria got independence , travelled to Uk, worked and studied for over 14 years before returning to Nigeria. He is late now, and i happen to have his passport with me. can i claim a British citizen status under ancestry?
1. When and where were you born?
2. Were your parents married at the time of your birth? If not, did they marry after you were born?
3. Was your father a British citizen when you were born?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Qplus
Newly Registered

Post by Qplus » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:59 am

sushdmehta wrote:
1. When and where were you born?
2. Were your parents married at the time of your birth? If not, did they marry after you were born?
3. Was your father a British citizen when you were born?
I was born in Nigeria 10.08.1975
They were married before i was born
My father had a British passport since 1960 until he arrived back to Nigeria in 1974

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:04 am

Qplus wrote:My father had a British passport since 1960 until he arrived back to Nigeria in 1974
The use of "until" in the statement makes me ask the following question(s):
Did he (have to) renounce his British citizenship for some reason? If so, when did that happen? If not, was he a British citizen until he passed away?

See also Annex C: Flow chart to determine whether a person born on or after 1 January 1949 was a citizen of the United Kingdom and colonies on 31 December 1982.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Qplus
Newly Registered

Post by Qplus » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:36 am

sushdmehta wrote:
Qplus wrote:My father had a British passport since 1960 until he arrived back to Nigeria in 1974
The use of "until" in the statement makes me ask the following question(s):
Did he (have to) renounce his British citizenship for some reason? If so, when did that happen? If not, was he a British citizen until he passed away?

See also Annex C: Flow chart to determine whether a person born on or after 1 January 1949 was a citizen of the United Kingdom and colonies on 31 December 1982.
No, he didnt renounce his British citizenship, he only applied for a Nigerian passport in UK in 1974 when he was returning to Nigeria. I believe by British rule you can hold dual citizenship.
His British passport was stamped cancelled i guess because it has expired before he was issued a Nigerian passport.

fisayo

Post by fisayo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:20 pm

i think with the cancelled status, the british citizenship did not hold any more.
wait for more advise from the gurus

joh118

Post by joh118 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:48 pm

fisayo wrote:i think with the cancelled status, the british citizenship did not hold any more.
wait for more advise from the gurus
just because his passport is cancelled does not mean British Citizenship was taken away from him. It may have a cancelled stamp because the passport document itself simply expired.

I think the OP should just apply for registration using his father's expired passport as evidence. There's no harm in applying.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:00 pm

Apply for Confirmation of British nationality status or a British passport.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.