ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I enter UK as a tourist before my Visa starts?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ajackett
Newly Registered

Can I enter UK as a tourist before my Visa starts?

Post by ajackett » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:33 pm

Hi everyone,

Just a query which I haven't really been able to find a clear answer for so I thought I'd spell out my situation here.

I'm going to the UK on an Ancestry Visa (from Aus), and it will be valid from mid-august 2011. My query is however, will I still be able to enter the UK on 20 July 2011, before my Ancestry Visa start date? I will be flying back out on the 22nd July to Greece and returning to the UK after my visa starts (around 30th August).

The only thing I could really find on the UK Visa site were the FAQ's which highlighted the following... But I'm not really sure if this applies in this case.

Can I have more than one visa? wrote:
It is not possible to hold more than one visa or entry clearance. If your circumstances change you should always inform the Home Office before you leave the UK so that your permission to stay can be curtailed. Once your permission to stay has been curtailed you will be able to apply for a new visa overseas.

All help appreciated!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:56 pm

Greenie wrote:4. If you tried to enter the UK as a visitor before the start date of the visa you could be refused entry. If permitted entry yes have to leave and come back to validate the ancestry visa.
Guidance for non-visa nationals wrote:Although non-visa nationals do not normally need visit visas, they are not guaranteed entry into the UK. Visitors must satisfy a UK Border Agency officer that they meet certain visitor requirements and may need to show the officer certain documents in support of their request to enter the UK. Information about visitor requirements and documents can be found on the UK Border Agency website.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

ajackett
Newly Registered

Post by ajackett » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:11 am

sushdmehta wrote:
Greenie wrote:4. If you tried to enter the UK as a visitor before the start date of the visa you could be refused entry. If permitted entry yes have to leave and come back to validate the ancestry visa.
Guidance for non-visa nationals wrote:Although non-visa nationals do not normally need visit visas, they are not guaranteed entry into the UK. Visitors must satisfy a UK Border Agency officer that they meet certain visitor requirements and may need to show the officer certain documents in support of their request to enter the UK. Information about visitor requirements and documents can be found on the UK Border Agency website.
Thanks, so essentially there is the chance that I would be turned away, but if I provided evidence to support my entry into the UK, such as details of my flight to Athens two days later, this would probably be ok? And explain that I was coming back to UK in August once my Visa has started?

Cheers!

INSIDER

Re: Can I enter UK as a tourist before my Visa starts?

Post by INSIDER » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:00 am

ajackett wrote:Hi everyone,

Just a query which I haven't really been able to find a clear answer for so I thought I'd spell out my situation here.

I'm going to the UK on an Ancestry Visa (from Aus), and it will be valid from mid-august 2011. My query is however, will I still be able to enter the UK on 20 July 2011, before my Ancestry Visa start date? I will be flying back out on the 22nd July to Greece and returning to the UK after my visa starts (around 30th August).

The only thing I could really find on the UK Visa site were the FAQ's which highlighted the following... But I'm not really sure if this applies in this case.

Can I have more than one visa? wrote:
It is not possible to hold more than one visa or entry clearance. If your circumstances change you should always inform the Home Office before you leave the UK so that your permission to stay can be curtailed. Once your permission to stay has been curtailed you will be able to apply for a new visa overseas.

All help appreciated!
As you hold a UK ancestry visa I cannot see you having any problem whatsoever in entering the UK as a VISITOR in the circumstances you have just described. Trust me, I speak as a border immigration officer.