ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unmarried Partner

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

namin
Newly Registered

Unmarried Partner

Post by namin » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:32 pm

Hello all!

I'm preparing to apply for a probationary 2 year visa as an unmarried hetero partner of a British national and would really appreciate some advice.

I've been in the UK for over 4 years on two student visas + an extension and would have been living with my partner for 2 years towards the end of this month (April 2011). We have been living together but don't share any accounts and don't have any letters addressed to the both of us. We only have letters addressed to us individually to the same address. The only official document that has both our names on is the contract for our current flat, but that only covers the last 8 months. Previous to that, we lived at a property which was leased under my partner and his friend's name.

My question is how tricky/strict is the unmarried partner category and what further evidence can I provide to support my application?

Evidence we've currently accumulated:
-letters to the same address for 2 year period - bank statements, individual phone bills.
-joint tenancy agreement for last 8 months.
-Just opened a joint savings account but no official letters yet.
-stamps in passports for evidence of holidays taken together (about 7 countries in total traveled together)
-Could get plenty of letters from friends and family confirming our relationship but not sure how 'valid' they would be..

So any advice would be really really appreciated! Visa applications always make me terribly nervous and I really want to get this right.
Do I have any chance of success?
Also, my current visa is to expire in August, but can I apply to switch whenever? When I have extending my student visa I had to apply in the last month or two, if I remember correctly, but I thought this might be different as it is switching into an entirely different category..?

namin
Newly Registered

Post by namin » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:35 pm

Also, I'm filling in the application form now, kind of as a 'trial'.. and it is asking for the Date of the marriage or civil partnership and the place, but I have selected the unmarried partner option...? We are not planning a marriage or civil partnership so I can't fill this information in but I don't think it will let me continue if I don't provide it! Has anybody else had this problem?

*Edit: Couple more questions..

a) Is it better to apply in person at a public enquiry office? I would prefer a postal application for obvious financial, but I like the idea of being able to talk to the person and explain things if need be..?

b) I will have completed my UK Bachelors degree by the time I plan to make my application but I don't think I will receive my official 'degree' or certificate until a month or so after. Would it possible to get a letter from my university stating that I have passed my degree and would this be sufficient evidence for my English skills? forking out money for an english test seems like a waste as I have been living in english speaking countries for nearly 20 years...

Sorry for all the questions.. look forward to any replies :)

namin
Newly Registered

Post by namin » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:39 pm

Any advice would be great please.. thank you!

sanjayrocks
BANNED

Post by sanjayrocks » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:57 pm

Hi,

I received my unmarried partner visa within 29 days after submitting to visa office(postal) Received help from my solicitor as he filled everything for me.

What I supplied was

1) Joint tenancy agreement for 2+ years
2) Joint bank accounts (we had 3)
3)Mobile bills
4) Electrol registration letters
5)GP letter
6)Salary slips
7)College letter confirming my attendance
8)Salary slips of both of us
9) Individual Bank accounts
10) Insurance letters

Thats all i provided

Hope this will help you.Better get a help from a lawyer in this case

sanjayrocks
BANNED

Post by sanjayrocks » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:59 pm

I suggest you should get few months of Joint bank accounts at least another 6 months since you dont have anything in common for 2+ years.

sanjayrocks wrote:Hi,

I received my unmarried partner visa within 29 days after submitting to visa office(postal) Received help from my solicitor as he filled everything for me.

What I supplied was

3)Mobile bills
5)GP letter
6)Salary slips
10) Insurance letters

Thats all i provided

sanjayrocks
BANNED

Post by sanjayrocks » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:00 pm

I think if you want to change to this category you should have at least 6 months left of your visa.Please check the home office website. If i a find a link i will let you know.

sanjayrocks wrote:I suggest you should get few months of Joint bank accounts at least another 6 months since you dont have anything in common for 2+ years.

What I supplied was

3)Mobile bills
5)GP letter
6)Salary slips
10) Insurance letters

Thats all i provided

sanjayrocks
BANNED

Post by sanjayrocks » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:18 pm

If you can provide a transcript with your marks, will be sufficient i guess. What i presented was my degree certificate and IELTS certificate to proof my English language ability

quote="sanjayrocks"]I think if you want to change to this category you should have at least 6 months left of your visa.Please check the home office website. If i a find a link i will let you know.

sanjayrocks wrote:I suggest you should get few months of Joint bank accounts at least another 6 months since you dont have anything in common for 2+ years.

What I supplied was

3)Mobile bills
5)GP letter
6)Salary slips
10) Insurance letters

Thats all i provided

[/quote]

namin
Newly Registered

Post by namin » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:06 am

Thanks so much for the advice sanjay.

I've checked on the home office website and all it says is that "you must have been given at least 6 months' permission to live here since your most recent admission to the UK", which should be fine for me (I came here on a 3 year visa then extension).

The problem is that my current visa runs out beginning of August, so even if I wait till the last minute to apply, I will only have 3-4 months of the joint account. Both our names will also have been on the Council Tax letter for about 4 months. Other than that there is also the Joint tenancy agreement, and also a Lodgers Agreement with our names and our flat mates'.

Would this still not be sufficient? I think the only other option would be to leave the UK when my visa expires, my boyfriend would visit me or come with me for a few months, then when we have enough evidence of financial ties/commitment, I can apply from outside the UK.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:29 am

SET5.13 What types of evidence might demonstrate living together and a relationship akin to marriage/civil partnership? wrote:If they do not have enough items in their joint names, they may also provide items addressed to each of other individually if they show the same address for both of them. The documents provided must be originals and should be spread over the whole 2 years; they should also be from at least 3 different sources.
Same requirements for FLR(M).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

namin
Newly Registered

Post by namin » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:51 pm

by 'spread over the whole 2 years' does it mean it has to be every single month, with absolutely no gaps? Or can it be, for example january, march, april, may, july, september etc.. that sort of thing? I've always been terrible at keeping track of paperwork, and I've got some gaps within the 2 year period.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:44 pm

Gaps are allowed.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

namin
Newly Registered

Post by namin » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:27 pm

Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it!

I have a question regarding maintenance. The weekly maintenance you need to prove - 105 pounds after rent/mortgage and council tax - does this need to be covered solely by the sponsor's (my partner's) income? Or can it be supplemented by my income? The problem is that we share our rented accommodation with another couple, so we go 50/50 on the rent, but only our names are on the contract, and in turn they have a lodgers agreement with us. So in a scenario that we have to cover the rent for the whole property solely on my partner's income, our budget would end up being very tight.

Also, my partner is self employed, and makes the majority of his income on leasing property, supplemented by building/electrical work. So the only evidence of his income is payments into his bank account. He is also paid in cash quite often so there is no official record of this. I plan to submit his tax assessment, where he declares also his earnings in cash. Do you think this will be sufficient? Should I consider submitting all the contracts he has with his tenants as well?

namin
Newly Registered

Post by namin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:34 am

Found this in guidance for applying from outside the uk
The joint income of the couple should be taken into account when assessing the adequacy of the funds available.
Assuming it applies for applications from inside the uk as well?[/b]

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:54 am

Maintenance requirements in 295A(vi) and 295D(ix) are the same.

namin
Newly Registered

Post by namin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:29 am

Thank you vinny.

any advice on what evidence to supply if you're self employed?

I'm thinking

-bank statements
-tax letters
-tenancy agreements he has with with tenants which will show how much they pay

namin
Newly Registered

Post by namin » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:57 pm

Can anyone advise on what supporting evidence I need to provide for my self employed partner's earnings - mostly from renting out property.

I have planned so far

-business and personal bank statements showing payments in and expenses out.
-tax letters - just completed and will submit 2010/11 assessment very soon.
-tenancy agreements, which there are quite a few of, over 20 or so. Do I need to include all of them?
-record book (spreadsheet) with details of income, expenses etc. It is done by me and my partner, and not an accountant, is this ok? I read somewhere that accounts need to "meet statutory requirements" - does anyone know what exactly these requirements are?