ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What is better for IT..Aus? UK? US?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

AtlzBest26
Newly Registered

What is better for IT..Aus? UK? US?

Post by AtlzBest26 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:40 pm

Hi Everyone,

So im an Asian and have lived in Atlanta, US for the last 4 years for a Masters and IT work.

I moved back to my home country for personal reasons for a few months giving up my US job and the associated H1.

H-1Bs are too much baggage so Now i'm thinking about relocating to Australia through the Skilled Migration Program or to

UK through HSMP. The info on the net is usually positive but i'd like some first hand feedback.

Mostly, coming from the US, i think the IT market in Australia is much smaller here (true?)

but the value adds (i presume Aus has less social problems, more safety?) tend to make me

wanna move down under.

Also, never faced much beloved in Atlanta being "brown" but obviously, its there. Im not sure

how much it flies in Sydney and how it affects your workplace/daily life?

In short, ive had a great time in the US but since i was on an H-1 there it comes with its

own baggage and im looking to gain citizenship to Australia and settle there.

My other option is the UK but then again..BI jobs look abundant BUT high taxes and HSMP is

only a work visa..not true immigration.

Any help would be highly appreciated or maybe you could point me in the rights places to dig this particular info.

Thanks.

Rog
Member of Standing

Post by Rog » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:23 pm

Which country is better depends a lot on the individual and his own likes, preferences, ambitions etc. Each country has its own pros and cons. However purely from financial point of view, I would say that in the US the savings potential is much greater and also compared to US, the cost of housing, taxes etc in UK is much higher. I am surprised that you did not choose to settle in the US via the green card route rather than considering Australia or UK.

AtlzBest26
Newly Registered

Post by AtlzBest26 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:32 pm

Rog, thanks for the advice

Well actually settling in the US was my original plans but i like i said in the post, i had to come back for personal reasons so know im back at square 1 but with a masters degree and some experience and looking at all the countries from a fresh perspective.

Rog
Member of Standing

Post by Rog » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:59 am

As an IT professional UK has good opportunities and well paid jobs (same is not true for non-IT professionals). Also you have asked whether HSMP is a work permit. HSMP is a skilled migration and one stage further than a work permit and gives you freedom to work for any employer and change jobs at will and leads to permanent settlement in UK which at present is after 5 years ( However there is the slight danger that this may be increased any time the home office feels like, if there is too much anti -immigrant ranting from tabloids).

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: What is better for IT..Aus? UK? US?

Post by pantaiema » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:22 pm

Dear AtlzBest26

IT used to be tier 1 and was considered as "Shortage Occupation", but the situation has changed the Demand and Supply is already balanced. So far, there are a lot of misperception about this profesion as if UK is shortage of this skills. It used to be but not anymore.

You could see the full list of UK "Shortage Occupation", in the following link.
http://www.workpermit.com/uk/work_permi ... ations.htm

UK is short of the people in the construction related industry such as" Railway, Structures, Transportation engineers and all enginering work related to construction. The demand will be even higher in the next few years since UK win the Olympic bids.

Other areas:
Healthcare shortage occupations: Dentist, Doctor, Nurses

Other shortage occupations: Actuaries, CAA Licensed Aircraft Engineers
Teachers - All posts in England covering compulsory schooling
Veterinary Surgeon.

Pantaiema

AtlzBest26 wrote:Hi Everyone,

So im an Asian and have lived in Atlanta, US for the last 4 years for a Masters and IT work.

I moved back to my home country for personal reasons for a few months giving up my US job and the associated H1.

H-1Bs are too much baggage so Now i'm thinking about relocating to Australia through the Skilled Migration Program or to

UK through HSMP. The info on the net is usually positive but i'd like some first hand feedback.

Mostly, coming from the US, i think the IT market in Australia is much smaller here (true?)

but the value adds (i presume Aus has less social problems, more safety?) tend to make me

wanna move down under.

Also, never faced much beloved in Atlanta being "brown" but obviously, its there. Im not sure

how much it flies in Sydney and how it affects your workplace/daily life?

In short, ive had a great time in the US but since i was on an H-1 there it comes with its

own baggage and im looking to gain citizenship to Australia and settle there.

My other option is the UK but then again..BI jobs look abundant BUT high taxes and HSMP is

only a work visa..not true immigration.

Any help would be highly appreciated or maybe you could point me in the rights places to dig this particular info.

Thanks.

lanwarrior

Post by lanwarrior » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:31 am

Interesting. How about Security and Audit type position? My background is in audit (financial and IT) and security (hacking, vulnerability assessment, etc.) and the market for this type of job is quite high in US, especially since the fall of Enron, MCI, and Andersen, which eventually led to a federal mandated law called SOX-404.