ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Beware English test requirement a long process!

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

skyepark

Beware English test requirement a long process!

Post by skyepark » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:07 pm

Having now got to the stage where only the english test is pending, I wish I had the information beforehand that it takes a very long time to get a test in your area and timing, to book in advance and then to wait for the certificate, this will delay my spouse visa application by one month minimum which may mess up any planning.

Would it kill the UKBA to put a little advice up there?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:54 pm

The availability of test places (dates, time, location etc.) are controlled by the respective test providers, not UKBA.

So how and why should UKBA "advice" about something that they have no control of? In future if the availability increases then you would come back to blame UKBA for "inaccurate advice".

The choice of test also makes a difference on whether the process may be "short" or "long", and the applicant makes that choice ... not UKBA.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

skyepark

Post by skyepark » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:27 pm

I am not blaming the UKBA for the lack of tests or time to recieve certs as I do know that these are dictated from the test providers. But since its the UKBA's policy for english test they could on the website put some info about checking with test providers about test availibility and processing since it can be a lenthy process. And still test providers do not provide very little information for spouse visa applications since they are mainly geared up for students and business, the UKBA could have prepared test providers for demand of testing and processing times.

carlabeach

Post by carlabeach » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:46 pm

i do belive that the rule is not very clear or was not very clear when came out, In my embassy the staff were themself very confused . And the centers is not them job to let you know that will take such a long time, but in my country that is only 2 centers available one take 4 months for the day that you pay the test and the other center up to 8 months. In both centers there is not any native english speaker . So my question is ? Does the UKBA know how the center work in each country ? the point of this new rule is to check the applicant english level but wouldnt be easy for the ECO to do an interview to you ? I bet that is easy to know if you have an A1 or not . One foreign doing an english interview to another foreing , not sure if you can check who has a better english :lol: I say that because is just what happen to me.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:58 am

Unfortunately, as with most new procedures, the Home Office appear not to have prepared sufficiently for this.

XnailaX
- thin ice -

Post by XnailaX » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:14 pm

thankyou for sharing..has helped me alot!!!....atleast sum1 is speakin from experience..thankyou...:)...

ultimate12570

Post by ultimate12570 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:05 pm

After reading this topic, i phoned an english language test provider and then i've been told that it takes 1 month to book a test date then after the test date it will take around one and a half month for certificate to be issued by the awarding body which is cambridge....so roughly it takes around two and a half month to get the certificate in your hands....lol :x honestly..... :lol:

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:39 pm

At the time of posting:
There are places available for TOEFL test from 13-May onwards. Scores are issued within 2 weeks of the test.
There are places available for PTE-A test from 10-May onwards. Results delivered within 5 working days.
(for both, online registration and booking available)

As of 2 days ago, there were places available for IELTS test from 07-May onwards. Results posted within 13 calendar days.

Cambridge is known to hold very limited number of exams in a month / year, with statement of results issued within 5-7 weeks and a certificate within 3 months!!

So if one only checks with Cambridge (or the likes), then it is understandable that a person will hold a (inaccurate) perception similar to one that has been shared in the topic.

Also, seems like the little advice being expected from UKBA has already been provided:
Information for applicants on the new English language requirement for partners wrote:I am applying for a visa in the next few months. How soon should I think about booking an English test?

The frequency of English language testing will vary depending on the individual country and the demand for tests in that country. Applicants should seek to book a test with a provider at an early opportunity.

In countries where testing takes place less frequently, applicants who are still learning English may want to book a test based on the time their tutors predict they may reach the required standard.

njoy1987
Member of Standing

Post by njoy1987 » Sun May 01, 2011 2:27 pm

i took a test and got the certificate in 3 days there is an approved provider that does it all in no time contact me as i dont want to advertise a business openly

skyepark

Post by skyepark » Mon May 02, 2011 12:36 am

It surely does depend on where you are in the world and budget since TOEFL and IELTS are more geared for students or people needing a higher level of english, an uneccesary and expensive test for those applying for spouse visas.

shadhk

Post by shadhk » Mon May 02, 2011 12:58 am

I could understand the frustration.

Another confusion or you can say problem is that UKBA only require SPEAKING AND LISTEN english ability of A1 Level...but the question is would UKBA accept the PASS marking on SPEAKING AND LISTEN, without PASS certificaate.

If UKBA say PASS certificate must be provided then the problem start because test provider only issue certificate if you PASS your english test in all sections READING, WRITING, LISTENING, AND SPEAKING.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon May 02, 2011 1:30 am

skyepark wrote:It surely does depend on where you are in the world and budget since TOEFL and IELTS are more geared for students or people needing a higher level of english, an uneccesary and expensive test for those applying for spouse visas.
Perhaps you titled the topic so with a certain category / section of spouse visa applicants in mind!

Unfortunately, that makes your claims and expectations (from UKBA) subjective and valid for only a section of the applicants.

And, to assume that all spouse visa applicants belong to the section / category that you refer to / have in mind may not be an accurate analysis of the pool of applicants.

skyepark

Post by skyepark » Mon May 02, 2011 1:40 am

of course i am being subjective sushdmetha! what do you mean by certain category/spuse visa section? Do you mean by country? Well yes but this is a forum and most people's posts are subjective. It still takes the organisation of any english test a lot longer to organise and recieve papers for then any other part of proof for the spouse, even IELTS and TOEFL which need to be booked in advance.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon May 02, 2011 2:54 am

What I have been trying to say is that it is unfair to expect UKBA to give advice other than what they have already given ... given the fact that:
1. the applicants may have a varied understanding of English language (from uneducated / illiterate applicants to applicants who are proficient in English),
2. applicants who belong to different countries where presence of approved test providers varies.
3. demand and supply of available test places in each country is different, and governed by the test providers not UKBA.

Your title (of the topic) isn't a fact that applies or may apply to everyone, contrary to the impression / assertion it makes (beware English test requirement a long process).
e.g. -
A person capable of taking a test for which places are readily available and results delivered quickly, may completely disagree with the statement "beware english test requirement a long process". One the other hand, if you have person whose English language skills are not good enough to enable him/her to take an exam for which test places are readily available and results delivered quickly, then he/she would completely agree with the statement "beware english test requirement a long process".
e.g. -
Likewise, for an applicant in a country where there is only one test provider (e.g. - Cambridge) and one test centre in the country, it may be a really long process. But for an applicant in a country where every major city has more than 10 test centres (comprising almost all test providers), it may not be a long process at all.
e.g. -
Similarly, someone in a hurry to apply within 1-2 weeks may find it a long process but someone with 6-8 weeks at his disposal may not find it a long process.
e.g. -
As on date, for a Syrian applicant it may be a long process. But for a Cambodian applicant it may not be.

Knowing that you were subjective when making a generic assertion does help understand that though the title (wrongly) appears to be relevant to all it is in fact only applicable to some .. something I missed to grasp earlier. So I will put my pen down!