ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

7 Year - Student VISA

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kaal2
Newly Registered

7 Year - Student VISA

Post by kaal2 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:06 am

Hi. I've been studying in the UK for almost 6 years now since 2005. Always have been using student visa since.
I'm currently holding a resident permit and doing 2nd year Interior Design(BA) at Uni and the permit will run out by Oct/2012. And what has been bugging me is that I'm not so sure wether I should carry on studying (MS/Work Placement) after I finish my BA next year, so that I'll be able to get my 10 years settlement for students.
So my questions are,
-Shall I look for a job after I finish uni next year? (does that means I'll have to wait for a few extra years until I can get settlement?)
-Shall I carry on studying? (which seems a bit easier?)
-and last. say if I'm gonna carry on studying after I finish my BA, so that I'll qualify for the 10 years stay of student visa under T4. what will happen after that. will I be able to get my ILR and after one year then naturalisation?

It would be really helpful if I can get some helps here.
Been looking on the border agency website for hours and it's driving me nuts.

Thank you so much.

joh118

Re: 7 Year - Student VISA

Post by joh118 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:03 am

kaal2 wrote:Hi. I've been studying in the UK for almost 6 years now since 2005. Always have been using student visa since.
I'm currently holding a resident permit and doing 2nd year Interior Design(BA) at Uni and the permit will run out by Oct/2012. And what has been bugging me is that I'm not so sure wether I should carry on studying (MS/Work Placement) after I finish my BA next year, so that I'll be able to get my 10 years settlement for students.
So my questions are,
-Shall I look for a job after I finish uni next year? (does that means I'll have to wait for a few extra years until I can get settlement?)
-Shall I carry on studying? (which seems a bit easier?)
-and last. say if I'm gonna carry on studying after I finish my BA, so that I'll qualify for the 10 years stay of student visa under T4. what will happen after that. will I be able to get my ILR and after one year then naturalisation?

It would be really helpful if I can get some helps here.
Been looking on the border agency website for hours and it's driving me nuts.

Thank you so much.
You can look for jobs and if employers are willing to sponsor you, then you can switch into Tier 2.

Are you aware of the new changes to the student visa system which means a person can spend only 5 years maximum on a degree (or above) level course?

Once you get ILR, just like everyone else, under the current rules, you can apply for naturalisation after one year.

kaal2
Newly Registered

Post by kaal2 » Sun May 01, 2011 4:07 pm

no. I'm not aware of the changes. What if I'm gonna do a one year MA then 2 year PHD so then in total it'll be exactly 10 years of the time that I've been staying in the UK as a student.
and I know this is gonna sound rather pathetic since I have no work experience what so ever. What do you mean by sponsor by a employer?

joh118

Post by joh118 » Sun May 01, 2011 5:13 pm

kaal2 wrote:no. I'm not aware of the changes. What if I'm gonna do a one year MA then 2 year PHD so then in total it'll be exactly 10 years of the time that I've been staying in the UK as a student.
and I know this is gonna sound rather pathetic since I have no work experience what so ever. What do you mean by sponsor by a employer?
Please read this for the new changes in the student visa category. There are mportant changes regardng who can bring dependants and time limit on remaining as a student.

Once you finish your degree, the Post-study work category will no longer exist. Therefore, you get a work visa (Tier 2), you will need to secure a degree level job before your student visa expires. An employer will have to sponsor you.

If you fail this, then a post-graduate degree is an option. After your post-graduate degree, if you wish to remain as a student, only a PhD will suffice.

kaal2
Newly Registered

Post by kaal2 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:37 pm

joh118 wrote:
kaal2 wrote:no. I'm not aware of the changes. What if I'm gonna do a one year MA then 2 year PHD so then in total it'll be exactly 10 years of the time that I've been staying in the UK as a student.
Please read this for the new changes in the student visa category. There are mportant changes regardng who can bring dependants and time limit on remaining as a student.

Once you finish your degree, the Post-study work category will no longer exist. Therefore, you get a work visa (Tier 2), you will need to secure a degree level job before your student visa expires. An employer will have to sponsor you.

If you fail this, then a post-graduate degree is an option. After your post-graduate degree, if you wish to remain as a student, only a PhD will suffice.

Thank you so much for your replies.
I've read the 2 documents you posted up for me and I have a rough idea of the changes and requirements. So if this is the case, when I finish my BAHon Level 6 next year and move on to MA for one year and then PHD for 2 years in Interior Design which means I'll qualify for the 10 years student visa to a settlement. Found this on the boarder agency website'You told us that you are a migrant student. There is no right to settlement for students unless you have been here for more than 10 years, in which case you should use form SET(O).' Is that right?
and if I decide to work after my BAhon and able to find a employer to sponsor me. and say I'll will work for 3 years with a work visa, will they count towards my previously stayed for 7 years as a student? or do I have to work for 5 years to get settlement separately?

joh118

Post by joh118 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:00 pm

You just need to spend 10 years in any category. So if you switch to a work visa, you can still apply for ILR after 3 years rather than the 5 years as you will be eligible for the Long Residency ILR.

My advice would be to try to switch to Tier 2 if you can, because you never know if the Long Residency ILR will exist when you become eligible.

bananafish

Post by bananafish » Sun May 01, 2011 9:02 pm

Hello,

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I have a few related queries.

Firstly, have these new work restrictions come into place already from 21st April? So a student in a private college will not be able to work at all? Someone told me that these restrictions were going to come into effect from July. When I go through the links it seems that these restrictions are in place...but a friend of mine insists they aren't...I just need clarification.

Secondly, does the 5 year time limit apply to someone like me who was in the past a student, then currently on the PSW and wishing to go back to a student visa? Will my past time spent on a student visa count towards this time limit or will activate from when I get a new student visa?

Thanks. If these questions seem to be irrelevant to this thread please let me know and I will post a new thread.

joh118

Post by joh118 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:08 pm

bananafish wrote:Hello,

Firstly, have these new work restrictions come into place already from 21st April? So a student in a private college will not be able to work at all? Someone told me that these restrictions were going to come into effect from July. When I go through the links it seems that these restrictions are in place...but a friend of mine insists they aren't...I just need clarification.

Secondly, does the 5 year time limit apply to someone like me who was in the past a student, then currently on the PSW and wishing to go back to a student visa? Will my past time spent on a student visa count towards this time limit or will activate from when I get a new student visa?

Thanks. If these questions seem to be irrelevant to this thread please let me know and I will post a new thread.
The new rules were introduced on the 21 April. There is a news item on the UKBA website.

From my understanding, my belief is that any applications made after 21 April will be subject to the new work limits and restrictions. Someone correct me if I am wrong. However, I think the time limits apply to all.

kaal2
Newly Registered

Post by kaal2 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:38 pm

joh118 wrote:You just need to spend 10 years in any category. So if you switch to a work visa, you can still apply for ILR after 3 years rather than the 5 years as you will be eligible for the Long Residency ILR.

My advice would be to try to switch to Tier 2 if you can, because you never know if the Long Residency ILR will exist when you become eligible.
Much appreciated for your reply. and my intention always has been working after my BAhon rather then carrying on studying.

Thank you again for you help.

bananafish

Post by bananafish » Mon May 02, 2011 4:02 pm

joh118 wrote:
bananafish wrote:Hello,

The new rules were introduced on the 21 April. There is a news item on the UKBA website.

From my understanding, my belief is that any applications made after 21 April will be subject to the new work limits and restrictions. Someone correct me if I am wrong. However, I think the time limits apply to all.

I have been directed by another user Fahid in another discussion towards the UKBA's Statement of Intent.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... s/sop4.pdf

This is from March 2011 and admittedly only a proposal. It's stated there amongst other things that changes to work restrictions will be implemented from July 2011.

Is it safe to assume that the UKBA is following the timetable outlined in this document? Or that they have made changes and actually introduced all the restrictions given in the summary of the new student policy?

joh118

Post by joh118 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:31 pm