ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

buying property

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bman466
Newly Registered

buying property

Post by bman466 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:11 am

i am a british citizen and have an american gf who is studying as a student in the uk, i wish to buy a property in america and rent it out to help pay for our fees here in the uk, so my questions are
a/ is it possible for me to buy property there as a foreigner
b/ can i take the rent money out of the US

Filip
Newly Registered

Post by Filip » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:54 pm

Hi!

I am pleased to answer your questions:

1) is it possible for me to buy property there as a foreigner
Yes, it is possible.

2) can i take the rent money out of the US
No, you are not able to get any income in the US unless you become a US Lawful Permanent Resident. :cry:

Good luck!

Ronika
Newly Registered

Post by Ronika » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:51 pm

since your gf is american, why not buy the property in both your names or just in her name. I must note also, that as someone who has owned a property in the U.S., you are unlikely to earn substantial income from rental properties. The benefit in owning a property in the States is the accumulated equities due to appreciation in value. Thus, you can make substantial profits when you sell the property, but hardly any from renting it. You will be luck to break even when renting a property. Good luck....

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Re: buying property

Post by Cosmopol » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:37 am

bman466 wrote:i am a british citizen and have an american gf who is studying as a student in the uk, i wish to buy a property in america and rent it out to help pay for our fees here in the uk, so my questions are
a/ is it possible for me to buy property there as a foreigner
b/ can i take the rent money out of the US
I would probably ask you, why in America and not in the UK where you physically are (there benefits to owning rental properties close to where you live), but I'll try to answer your questions first:

a) it is entirely possible and is widely practiced;
b) what do you mean?
i) if you mean physical cash - of course, no problem;
ii) if you mean tax issues, generally you are supposed to pay U.S. taxes on any income earned in the U.S., and you would have to file form 1040-NR (non-resident) for that by April 15th of the year following the calendar year of the income reported. However, given that UK and US have dual taxation treaties, you may want to see what options are available to you as a British citizen. If the amounts are large, it's best to hire professional counsel.

dennymarsh
Newly Registered

Post by dennymarsh » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:18 pm

There are various considerations when buying a holiday home, settling on a fair price to pay in an area you may not be familiar with.When buying a property for the first time more than people will need housing loans.

jamhelmcor
- thin ice -
Location: 268 Bush St., San Francisco California United States 94104

Post by jamhelmcor » Mon May 02, 2011 8:28 pm

Buying properties is allowed of course.