ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will MY mental health problems effect partner coming to UK?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

starflower
Newly Registered

Will MY mental health problems effect partner coming to UK?

Post by starflower » Wed May 04, 2011 1:29 pm

I'm British but my mother has had a home in the US for a few years (she has dual nationality). When I was over there visiting I met a guy and we've been in a long distance relationship, he's came to visit me here in UK as well as me seeing him when over in the States.

We want for my partner to apply as my fiance or husband but my concern is that I've been receiving treatment for mental health problems for a few years now. Would this be brought up in the process of applying? I'm worried that for example they would try and say my judgement isn't as good as a "mentally well" person.

I work and don't recieve any "public funds" if that's relevant.

Would be grateful for any advice!

Louby Lou
Newly Registered

Post by Louby Lou » Wed May 04, 2011 2:38 pm

Hi,
I cannot answer specifically as regards immigration law. However, I work in mental health and would be sure that any discrimination against you based on your disability would be illegal under the Disability Discrimination Act.
Especially as you say you are not reliant on benefits, it should be immaterial to your application.
In fact I can't think of any reason why you should have to mention it at all unless you were under any kind of compulsory treatment order.
Hope that helps.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed May 04, 2011 10:31 pm

your mental health issues are not relevent to your partner's application. I don't see how the ECO would even know about your mental health?