ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Baby born in the UK before I got ILR -for Baby SET(M) or MN1

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

fajr

Baby born in the UK before I got ILR -for Baby SET(M) or MN1

Post by fajr » Thu May 05, 2011 9:12 am

Hello

I am about to apply for ILR under 10 years residency in Sept this year. My wife is currently under dependant visa. Our baby born in early this year. We havent applied any visa for the baby as we are not going outside the UK.

Now after I get ILR can I apply for my baby for British citizen straight way using MN1 or I need to apply for ILR for the baby first?

According to the guidelines:

A person born in the United Kingdom after commencement [F1, or in a qualifying territory on or after the appointed day,] shall be a British citizen if at the time of the birth his father or mother is—

(a)a British citizen; or

(b)settled in the United Kingdom

this if makes me confused. At the time of our baby's birth neither me nor my wife was settled in the UK. I will be getting ILR after the baby's birth.

Please advise.

Thanks

fajr

Re: Baby born in the UK before I got ILR -for Baby SET(M) or

Post by fajr » Thu May 05, 2011 9:26 am

Sorry I just dug deep and found Section 1(3) on the same guidelines:

A person born in the United Kingdom after commencement who is not a British citizen by virtue of subsection (1) [F7, (1A)] or (2) shall be entitled to be registered as a British citizen if, while he is a minor—

(a)his father or mother becomes a British citizen or becomes settled in the United Kingdom; and

(b)an application is made for his registration as a British citizen

In this regard I could apply for British citizenship for my baby after I got ILR. Could anyway clarify this please?

Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu May 05, 2011 2:25 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

fajr

Post by fajr » Fri May 06, 2011 8:21 am

vinny wrote:Yes.
Thanks Vinny