ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Selected for US Visa lottery! A few questions...

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

llama13
Newly Registered

Selected for US Visa lottery! A few questions...

Post by llama13 » Sun May 01, 2011 3:30 pm

Hello

I am British and my husband is Moroccan. We have both been selected to have our applications processed further for the US visa lottery. We married in Morocco in 2008 and since then have been living together in the UK.

I have a few questions:

1. As we were both selected, should we be sending two application forms to the KCC? One each?

2. For each application, do we BOTH need to provide all of the civil documents at the interview? Or only the main applicant?

3. We were married in Morocco and our marriage certificate is in Arabic. What are the requirements for having this translated?

4. Does my husband need to get a police report from the UK and Morocco? He always lived in Morocco prior to our wedding in 2008, and was 26 when we married.

5. Any idea on the time frame for receiving an interview? (Particularly if my husband needs to schedule a trip to Morocco for any documents. He also needs to renew his passport as it expires this December)

Many thanks for any info!!

jms_uk
- thin ice -

Re: Selected for US Visa lottery! A few questions...

Post by jms_uk » Sat May 07, 2011 11:24 am

llama13 wrote:Hello

I am British and my husband is Moroccan. We have both been selected to have our applications processed further for the US visa lottery. We married in Morocco in 2008 and since then have been living together in the UK.

I have a few questions:

1. As we were both selected, should we be sending two application forms to the KCC? One each?

2. For each application, do we BOTH need to provide all of the civil documents at the interview? Or only the main applicant?

3. We were married in Morocco and our marriage certificate is in Arabic. What are the requirements for having this translated?

4. Does my husband need to get a police report from the UK and Morocco? He always lived in Morocco prior to our wedding in 2008, and was 26 when we married.

5. Any idea on the time frame for receiving an interview? (Particularly if my husband needs to schedule a trip to Morocco for any documents. He also needs to renew his passport as it expires this December)

Many thanks for any info!!
First of all, congratulations! Are you from Northern Ireland? I though that rest of the UK was not eligible for DV lottery?

1. If you are sure that either one of you would definitely qualify you don't have to send both applications. [and at the same time leave one chance for someone else to get DV visa ;)]

2. See 1.

3. Yes, you will need to translate it. I doubt that US consular officer in London will be able to read Arabic.

4. Yes, he needs it from any country where he lived for more than 12 months.

5. That would be dependent on the Case Number. State department issues visa bulletins every month, so you can figure out roughly when you might have an interview. Also, please remember that you are from two different regions (AF and EU), so what is high/low number in one, doesn't have to be in the other. You might want to use that as a guidance who should be the applicant.

jay09

Congrats

Post by jay09 » Sat May 07, 2011 8:05 pm

Ilama,

Congrats for the good news.

Suprisingly we are both in the same situation, My wife and I were also selected for further processing.Initially I could not believe it but a quick call to KCC yesterday put that doubt to rest.

Like the earlier reply,I would suggest that you chose among the two of you who would qualify most and stands a better chance of going smoothly. I would suggest that two look closely.

In our case, we are both from Nigeria but we are resident in UK....I have decided to apply as the main applicant since I would get all the required documents easily.

As per police certificate, as I understood from the website, only where you are currently resident in that you need to get a polie certificate.

Have you thought about the medical test?Are we suppose to have it done before the interview?please keep me posted.

Good luck and see you in New Jersey LOL

llama13
Newly Registered

Post by llama13 » Sun May 08, 2011 12:09 pm

Hi

Jay, Congrats to you too for winning :-) what is your ranking number like? Mine is AF34xxx which is quite high I think but should still receive an interview I hope.

On closer inspection, it turns out my husband is not eligible - as he has a niveau bac (not baccalaureate) which is not accepted, and he also doesn't meet the work requirements.

So it seems I am the better candidate! however, does anyone know if I am still eligible as I have claimed through chargeability of his country (he is moroccan but I am from the UK) but he himself is not actually eligible?

I think the medical exam can be done after you receive your interview date? But you do have to do it BEFORE the interview and take the papers to the interview.

jms_uk
- thin ice -

Post by jms_uk » Sun May 08, 2011 12:44 pm

llama13 wrote: So it seems I am the better candidate! however, does anyone know if I am still eligible as I have claimed through chargeability of his country (he is moroccan but I am from the UK) but he himself is not actually eligible?
I understood it had to be the country of your birth... DO you also have Moroccan citizenship?

llama13
Newly Registered

Post by llama13 » Sun May 08, 2011 7:26 pm

jms_uk wrote: I understood it had to be the country of your birth... DO you also have Moroccan citizenship?

That is usually the case but it explains in the instructions that a spouse can claim the country of birth of their husband/wife, so I was born in the UK but I claimed Morocco via this chargeability

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Sun May 08, 2011 10:09 pm

I take it you don't believe the advice you have been given in the other forum?

llama13
Newly Registered

Post by llama13 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:26 am

Marco 72 wrote:I take it you don't believe the advice you have been given in the other forum?
I do :D but it can't hurt to look elsewhere too - there must be other people who have been in this situation

I emailed a couple of immigration lawyers over the weekend so I'll see what they say. I'm not working at the moment so can't really dish out to see one now, but I will use this time to find someone who I think can help.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Mon May 09, 2011 10:21 am

Your question is a very complicated one - unless you find someone who has been in exactly the same situation, any advice you find on an internet forum is going to be based on pure speculation (misleading at worst, useless at best).

The lawyer who replied to you on the other forum doesn't take individual clients, but an online consultation with a good US-based attorney would probably only cost you something in the range of 100-200 pounds. A UK-based one is going to be much more expensive.

jay09

Post by jay09 » Mon May 09, 2011 10:46 pm

My case number is AF000 ......what do u think?Is it high/low. Can you explain what those numbers stand for.

[quote="llama13"]Hi

Jay, Congrats to you too for winning :-) what is your ranking number like? Mine is AF34xxx which is quite high I think but should still receive an interview I hope.

On closer inspection, it turns out my husband is not eligible - as he has a niveau bac (not baccalaureate) which is not accepted, and he also doesn't meet the work requirements.

So it seems I am the better candidate! however, does anyone know if I am still eligible as I have claimed through chargeability of his country (he is moroccan but I am from the UK) but he himself is not actually eligible?

I think the medical exam can be done after you receive your interview date? But you do have to do it BEFORE the interview and take the papers to the interview.[/quote]

jms_uk
- thin ice -

Post by jms_uk » Fri May 13, 2011 5:47 pm

Sorry to bring bad news, but results of 1st of May have been canceled.

http://www.dvlottery.state.gov/esc

They will draw selectees again, results after July 15th.

llama13
Newly Registered

Post by llama13 » Fri May 13, 2011 6:06 pm

Wow that's quite a big glitch!

Shame about such a long delay to sort it out.

Oh well, fingers crossed for the next draw! Thanks for letting me know - I think this could be easily missed.

masrawykansai28
Newly Registered

green card lottery

Post by masrawykansai28 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:57 am

Everyone, try this one. I ask about a
green card lottery and this site help with that. I recommend to anyone that site.. Try it!!!

andrewmiley
Newly Registered

Post by andrewmiley » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:10 am

Congrats llama 13 on your winning for US visa lottery. Very rarely people get this opportunity of winning US visa lottery. If your marriage certificate is in Arabic definitely you have to translate it because I don’t think US consular will be familiar with the Arabic language and your husband should surely get an police report because that will be the main evidence on the basis of which visa is issued.