ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

should i be annoyed by these Qs

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hypermutley
Newly Registered

should i be annoyed by these Qs

Post by hypermutley » Sun May 08, 2011 1:47 pm

I am a PR holder via the EU spouse route. I've had to travel to my home country three times this year already as my father was ill and subsequently passed away - travelling on my own. On two occassions, i've had to field what i think are irrelevant and annoying questions by immigrations staff at heathrow; e.g. how did i get my PR, am i still with my husband, am i travelling with him, where is he now, where am i working, how long i've worked there etc.

One time, i was asked for purpose of visit and when i showed the PR page he said 'oh sorry i didnt see that' and no further questions asked.

Can someone tell me if these questions are indeed relevant and if they should be asking PR holders anything other than how long i've been away from the UK, since that is the only condition of the PR?!

terriblescream
Pakistan

Re: should i be annoyed by these Qs

Post by terriblescream » Sun May 08, 2011 10:41 pm

hypermutley wrote:I am a PR holder via the EU spouse route. I've had to travel to my home country three times this year already as my father was ill and subsequently passed away - travelling on my own. On two occassions, i've had to field what i think are irrelevant and annoying questions by immigrations staff at heathrow; e.g. how did i get my PR, am i still with my husband, am i travelling with him, where is he now, where am i working, how long i've worked there etc.

One time, i was asked for purpose of visit and when i showed the PR page he said 'oh sorry i didnt see that' and no further questions asked.

Can someone tell me if these questions are indeed relevant and if they should be asking PR holders anything other than how long i've been away from the UK, since that is the only condition of the PR?!
Yes I believe that is all they should ask and normally do with the persons who hold ILR. But how you got it could be asked and other relevant questios(my view) nothing harm to answer tht.

Dunno why they ask you all sorta questions but once you get your citizenship, it will always be how long you have been away..

god knws they might ask how u got this passport..hah!

os_sbs
Newly Registered

Post by os_sbs » Mon May 09, 2011 10:47 am

no jokes, a friend of mine (British citizen for already about 4-5 years) was once asked in Heathrow how he got his passport after they saw the place of birth - Kiev.
another friend of mine who has ILR as a domestic violance victim was agressevely questioned how she got it when travelling by Eurostar back in London.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Tue May 10, 2011 11:08 am

Immigration officers can ask many questions if they want to but that does not mean that you have to answer them. First ensure whether the IO has any doubts regards the genuineness of the document. If not, then simply explain that your PR was issued based on the facts that you have presented to the UKBA previously (so, obviously, those facts are known to them and are on file). You have obtained PR in your own right and hence any questions regards your spouse or your work are irrelevant. Ask the IO why they think it would be and ensure that they understand that they are looking at a PR sticker.

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Tue May 10, 2011 12:07 pm

Irrelevant questions are best countered with irrelevant answers. For example:

Q: how did you get your RC?
A: well, I completed a long questionnaire and send it to Liverpool. Then nothing happened for a long time, but a couple of months later, surprise, surprise, the doorbell rang and there was the postman asking for my autograph. In return he gave me a sealed envelope and after he left I quickly opened it and found this RC!

If the IO still doesn't get the message, ask for the Chief Immigration Officer!

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue May 10, 2011 12:24 pm

As far as I know, they can not refuse you entry if you refuse to answer. Being polite is always a good idea, and if that does not work then ask to speak to a supervisor.

The questions you were asked are a little over the top. For instance it does not matter at all if you are working or not. Does not matter where your wife/husband is at this point - you could be divorced and it would not affect your PR.

The only thing that does matter is how much time you have spent out of the UK. If you have spent too much time outside, then your PR is void and they could then refuse you.

It is worth reading through the Directive on how PRs can loose their PR.

andrej

Post by andrej » Thu May 12, 2011 9:24 pm

I noticed the difference when travelling alone on my EEA family stamp and when travelling together with my wife. They always ask me stupid questions when alone: Am I still with my wife? Where does she work? Where do we live? Why is her job so far from our home? (20 mins by train)

When my wife is with me, they ask nothing or stop mid sentence when they see our passports. I've gone through EU-passport control with my wife before and they never asked anything.

Just be nice and play the game.