ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Sweden visa, does it apply?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Reznik
Newly Registered

Sweden visa, does it apply?

Post by Reznik » Tue May 10, 2011 2:16 am

Hello

I am a Portuguese woman living in Sweden for 4 years now and recently got married to a Swedish native man.

After dealing with all the burochratic paperwork the immigration service sent me a letter stating that i have a residence and work permit till September 2012.

Is this normal? I thought EU citizens didn't have time restrictions as long as they have work or money to live with.

Thank you for any explanations.

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Tue May 10, 2011 3:40 am

Do you have Portuguese passport ?

EU citizens do not require either work permit, residence permit or visa
for another EU state.

Sweden do require EU citizens to register for a "residence certificate"
after 3 months residence. Its a minor thing.

Other than that, once you get your Swedish personal number for tax
there should be nothing else.
There are certain conditions on residence as you mentioned above,
but after 5 years you automatically obtain non-conditional residence rights
as an EU citizen.
Can Sep 2012 mark your 5 year residence ?

For more information see
http://ec.europa.eu/justice/policies/ci ... vement.pdf

http://ec.europa.eu/justice/policies/ci ... _ec_en.pdf

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue May 10, 2011 11:33 pm

Reznik,

What are you doing in Sweden? Working? Studying?

Do you have just the letter? Do you also have a Swedish card or something in your passport?

Reznik
Newly Registered

Post by Reznik » Wed May 11, 2011 7:35 pm

I'm going to try to answer all questions :)

I'm in Sweden working. I have Portuguese passport but i also have the Swedish personal tax number and of course i also pay my taxes here :)

So can i not worriy about this?

Thank you for your help.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed May 11, 2011 8:36 pm

If you are working in Sweden, you have ZERO to worry about.
This is for you: http://www.migrationsverket.se/info/147_en.html

Your present right to stay is based on you working, though there are other ways you could stay as well. Presently nothing depends on the existence (or not) of your husband, though I am sure it is nice that he exists!
After dealing with all the burochratic paperwork the immigration service sent me a letter stating that i have a residence and work permit till September 2012.
What paperwork were you doing with them, and when did you get this Residence Permit and letter?

Reznik
Newly Registered

Post by Reznik » Thu May 12, 2011 5:30 pm

Your present right to stay is based on you working, though there are other ways you could stay as well. Presently nothing depends on the existence (or not) of your husband, though I am sure it is nice that he exists!
Ok, but lets imagine that i lose my job for some reason. Will it become an issue?
What paperwork were you doing with them, and when did you get this Residence Permit and letter?
The papers were about the change of surname and registration of census information in Skatteverket

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu May 12, 2011 5:50 pm

Reznik wrote:Ok, but lets imagine that i lose my job for some reason. Will it become an issue?
On the basis of your rights alone as an EU citizen (again ignoring existence of your husband), you can work, or be looking for work, or be self-employed, or be a student, or be self-sufficient (i.e. no living on welfare). There are even some extra protection if you get laid off. Any of those are 100% fine. After you have been in Sweden for 5 years, at that point you have Permanent Residence and can remain forever even without doing any of these.

I suspect, but know nothing about Swedish law, that you also have the right to stay as your husband's wife.
Reznik wrote:The papers were about the change of surname and registration of census information in Skatteverket
Strange that they even mentioned your residence permit. They may be confused. I doubt it really matters. Your rights come from you doing one of the things mentioned above, not from whether some agency has its records straight or not.