ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to prove my income if I have bad bank statements

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jp70

How to prove my income if I have bad bank statements

Post by jp70 » Sun May 08, 2011 12:52 pm

How to prove my income if I have bad 6 months bank statements , I mean negative balance? I have like £2000 money (this is mainly from my business loan which I think I can use how I like) which I can use, but keep my accounts purposely negative. You might wonder why? :) Well, one reason is that I am a professional level trader/investor and I make like 100% profit yearly (last 3 years). So its low risk for me to use some borrowed money (I dont recommend this generally, but I have very strong experience, thats why I ll do it a bit). My bank takes like 15% interest for me going red and I make like 80-100% profit, so its a good deal for me to be red.

Ok, now I have explained one reason why they are red. But the other reason is that my income is low. I have been living on housing benefits for last 6months as trying to get my programming business going. Last week I stopped benefits because am now slowly getting steady (still low) income. its like £500/month at the moment, but going up.

So, in this situation, is there any way I can prove that I can provide my friend to visit UK for 2 weeks? In reality I can of course because I have that £2000. Should I buy the return air ticket beforehand? Book hotels beforehand? I live in a shared house (4 men) where we have a free living room where visitors could stay. Can I just prove that she can stay there? Getting a letter from my landlord stating that this is possible? I guess I do not need to buy the ticket to the UK?

Thanks.

jp70

Post by jp70 » Sun May 08, 2011 9:15 pm

... no answers :). Please, this is where I most need help - because was the main reason rejecting the first app. . I think all other things can be solved.

I book hotel (or show that in our shared house there is on big free room for her) and buy a return ticket. That is enough to prove that she has the funds to support the trip?

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sun May 08, 2011 10:05 pm

Well how would you show what money and income you have? If you have it in cash or tied up in a business it would be hard.

If all you have is a bank account constantly in the red with very little income you are going to find it difficult.

Don't buy a ticket just in case the visa is refused. Don't book a hotel if your friend is not going to stay there.

jp70

Post by jp70 » Sun May 08, 2011 10:27 pm

PaperPusher wrote:
Don't buy a ticket just in case the visa is refused. Don't book a hotel if your friend is not going to stay there.
But do you undestand how important this is to me? I have used 1 year for this. And should I just give up here? I dont mind to make one try and take risk and make the application as perfect as possible. If I do not buy the ticket, they will say that I dont have the money to buy the return ticket.

This is the problem with this kind of system: I have the money to support, so I could buy the ticket. But if I do not buy the ticket UBA does not believe that I have the money.

Dont you agree that buying the ticket would solve the money issue? They cannot say anymore that they dont believe I have money to go back, because the ticket is there. So why you say it has no value? Obviously it solves the ticket problem. And booking a hotel would solve the "where she is staying". Why do you think its a bad idea? These were the main issues why the first was rejected, so why not do this? I dont understand...

So, I would think that buyng the ticket would improve the application (because it proves we have money to buy the return ticket). Because it improves it, I would take the risk buying it.

They are still propably gonna ask our bank statements, because they want to know if we can support the stay (buying food etc). This is a bit strange to me if they ask this: to survive, one needs less than £1/day (I have lived many days like this and am still alive!). Food is cheap in London. So 2 weeks costs only £14. Then there is bus travel tickets to/from the airport which is about £20 total. So we need to have about £50 total to support her 2 weeks essentials. We can buy expensive tickets (£700), I can pay my rent every month, but we dont have tiny money like £50?? :) . This is not logical to me if they think like this (that we cannot prove we have £50). And even if we theoretically speaking think that we did not have that £50 money, if I have only couple of friends here in the UK, do you think they would not lend that money if they hear that my girlfriend comes to visit - a very important meeting?
I cannot believe they could think that we cannot gather £50 ...

Using mathematical/statistical propability calculations (I have studied them in uni) I am absolutely sure, that if you do a statistical survey about all people who can afford to buy a £700 flight tickets and who pay their £300 rent every month they *also* have £50 extra money left after that. I could bet my £1500 on this! Its very very unlikely that your money ends just to that £1000. You have £1000 but you dont have £1001...that is very unlikely. Because if you had a means to gather £1000, there is overflow and you propaply gathered much more than that whatever the way was you gathered that £1000.
Think about investment for example. Person A is a good investor. He says that he got some big profits and can thus buy a £1000 ticket. Do you think his profit was exatcly that £1000.0000000000 ? No, he won much more ... he is just using part of that profit he got. Its unlikely he made exatcly £1000 profit and also ticket price is exatcly £1000. Statistically speaking this is very unlikely.

We dont mind to share the 1 ticket price $500 to take a risk that it helps. We will do it, if it helps to get the approval.

There are couple of other options:
- Me to wait more than 6months trying to build up a good business and income to have good bank statements. But this is a bit too long time in my situation and I cannot do that.
- I could travel to Africa to meet there. Well, this is what I am actually planning to do. But will first try UK meeting. Africa gives easily Visas I have heard.

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Mon May 09, 2011 5:32 pm

jp70 wrote:... no answers :). Please, this is where I most need help - because was the main reason rejecting the first app. . I think all other things can be solved.

I book hotel (or show that in our shared house there is on big free room for her) and buy a return ticket. That is enough to prove that she has the funds to support the trip?
You have been having lots of help you have a long post about application completing, that you have been running and now a new one about a "girl friend " who you have not met yet. You are getting your fair share of help.
why not keep it to one simple post
pennyless

jp70

Post by jp70 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:46 pm

jp70 wrote: latest: UK embassy said that I have to call to embassy in Africa. Lets see how this ends :). I will call them tomorrow and lets see if they iwll answer my question about funds. I ll let you know.
Just called UK African office. I asked that can I use my loan as a proof that I have money to support. She replied: "We cannot give advice about evidence documents ". Well, its pretty clear now... the name of the game is that they do not want to tell details how to make the application right. Obviously they have their reasons (I guess its to do with security), but for me its a bit strange.

Are they afraid that if they tell me that "an evidence about loan is ok" then I would forge the document? But cant I do the same thing with the bank statements if I really wanted?

So this is not about lack of phone support, but unwillingness to reveal there things.

For me it would have been good if they said even a small hint like "yes, that might work, but we cannot be sure".

jp70

Post by jp70 » Tue May 10, 2011 6:16 pm

Regarding this sponsoring issues in my case, this is what I am thinking at the moment (the situation is that my (female)friend -who I have not met yet- needs a visitor visa to visit the UK from Africa). Can somebody please let me know if this is a good plan:

I will write a sponsoring letter something like this: ".. I and my brother are able to sponsor the whole trip, all expenses, including air ticket and hotel costs for 2 weeks. To prove that, I have provited an evidence/document about my (business)loan which shows that I have more than £2000 to use. Also included my brothers 6months bank statements and a letter stating that he will also sponsor the whole tip."

Then I include all document about my loan and my brothers bank statements. My brother has excellent constant income and very much money, so definitely that should be ok.

Firstly, can my brother sponsor us (let me also mention, that he does not live in the UK where I live - is this some kind of "issue"?. Or it does not matter where he lives?)?
Secondly, is it better to mention both (my loan and brothers support) or only one of them? Obviously if my brother can support our trip, that should be more than enough, but is it better to put my support also just in case they find something problem with my brothers evidence? Will it be negative or positive thing to put both - better to put only one sponsor?

(well, to be logical, I would say that 2 evidences of something is always stronger than one - like for example in criminal cases. So it should be the case here also... but wonder what the UBA thinks about it?)

thanks.