ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Returing as a visitor after UK work permit expires

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lilemsy
Newly Registered

Returing as a visitor after UK work permit expires

Post by lilemsy » Tue May 10, 2011 3:43 pm

I have a 5yr work permit for the UK which expires in August

My partner and I intend traveling home, however our intended leaving date is not until Sept, which means there will be an approximate four-week gap between my visa expiring and our permanent departure from the UK.

I understand that there is no grace period after the visa expires but what i would like to know is if I'm required to leave the UK by the expiry date indicated in my passport, would it be possible for me to leave the UK for a few days but then return, briefly, as a ‘visitor’ in order that I might remain in the UK for the period until my permanent departure a few weeks later (in September)?

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Tue May 10, 2011 4:25 pm

depends on your nationality (e.g. can you be granted a visitor visa at the border) ... and would no doubt be subject to a lot of scrutiny and you'd have to show a very very very clear plan to leave.

(e.g. job is over ... here's the list of things I still have to do ... here's why I couldn't do it before ... won't be claiming public funds ... here's the savings to prove it ...)

M.

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Tue May 10, 2011 4:30 pm

the one question would be why can you not leave on time, your visa ends you have had enough notice so you should be able to get your things in order to leave on time. Having spent 5 years in the UK what reason could there be to spend one more month?
pennyless

lilemsy
Newly Registered

Post by lilemsy » Tue May 10, 2011 4:32 pm

I'm from New Zealand.

I would make sure I have all my future travel documents (flight, accommodation and car hire) -of which we'll have a lot of this as we will make our way home over a three month period.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Wed May 11, 2011 9:28 am

You have 3 months to do this before your visa expires in August so why are you setting off in September?
IMHO you are looking at a refusal for a visitor visa as you do not a valid excuse

lilemsy
Newly Registered

Post by lilemsy » Wed May 11, 2011 9:42 am

So MPH80 are you saying that you can be granted a visitors visa upon the brief return? -If I can back up all my plans.

I can easily explain our reasoning for the delay to our departure and show all proof of our future plans and that i can financially support myself.

What i just really would like to know is if you leave to end your work permit and return briefly do they issue a visitors visa for the time you are back or is it an automatic no.

Plus i've been told from the Home office two different things -one said this is a 28 day grace period and one said there isn't. Can anyone confirm?

lilemsy
Newly Registered

Post by lilemsy » Wed May 11, 2011 9:49 am

mochyn
Thanks for your reply.
I can explain the reasoning and have a valid reason as to why the delay. SO if i can prove all of this is it likely they will issue a visitors visa??

My posting question explains my situation however I don't really want to go into detail in a forum, however can definitely do this when i'm asked at the time necessary.

I'm gathering that its on individual cases and that you just need a lot of proof of your plans and honest clear answers as to whether you'll be accepted or not.