ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

If not in the UK, where could we be together?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

toneee
Newly Registered

If not in the UK, where could we be together?

Post by toneee » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:44 pm

My wife is currently waiting for entry clearance in Zimbabwe. She overstayed in the UK and we went voluntarily to Zimbabwe to get married and apply for entry clearance. Having read a lot of the posts here, I'm getting pretty scared that her application will be denied. If so, does the IND actually expect me to settle in Zimbabwe, where unemployment is at about 60 per cent and inflation over 1000? In all honesty, I am prepared to move there, but there's almost no way I could survive. Also, her mother is ill and her medication costs more than a lot of people earn in month there.

So if Zimbabwe and the UK are both out of the question, where else could we go and would a denied visa application and a record for overstaying a visa prevent us from entering another country? I'll live pretty much anywhere to be with my wife, but if there's no work for me, then it's out of the question.

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:06 pm

If you are a British Citizen you can move to another EU country with your spouse on an EEA Family Permit.

toneee
Newly Registered

Post by toneee » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:12 pm

I'm British, born and raised. Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely look into that. I've never heard of it before, but like I said, I'll live pretty much anywhere.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:36 pm

Toneee, any particular reason why you are so pessimistic about your wife's spouse visa application being granted? Or is it that you are not pessimistic, but simply concerned about the outcome? If so that is very understandable ... been there ... done that ..... no doubt like many readers of this Board.

This Board has quite a few success stories such as this one.
John

toneee
Newly Registered

Post by toneee » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:52 pm

I just feel that we're at the mercy of some anonymous immigration officer, who sits behind a desk somewhere, flippantly making decisions which greatly affect the lives of normal people. "I'm having a bad day, so I'll reject this one" is pretty much how it seems to work. I also thinks it's true they have quotas to meet and immigration is a political football which gets knocked back and forth by politicians looking for votes.

To be honest, the policies of the country in which I was born are making me miserable and if my wife doesn't get a visa, they could destroy me completely. So I really feel like sticking two fingers up to Britain and leaving for good.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:06 pm

toneee wrote:I just feel that we're at the mercy of some anonymous immigration officer, who sits behind a desk somewhere, flippantly making decisions which greatly affect the lives of normal people. "I'm having a bad day, so I'll reject this one" is pretty much how it seems to work. I also thinks it's true they have quotas to meet and immigration is a political football which gets knocked back and forth by politicians looking for votes.

To be honest, the policies of the country in which I was born are making me miserable and if my wife doesn't get a visa, they could destroy me completely. So I really feel like sticking two fingers up to Britain and leaving for good.
To be honest mate, it's unfair to blame the system when ur wife has previously broken the terms of her visa.

We've applied for and obtained four visas to UK from Former Soviet Union with 100% success rate, maybe it's because we've not abused any of these visas?

HO and IND are both huge awkward organisations to deal with but to accuse them of persuing a vendetta against people is a bit unfair, we've found them slow but eminently fair and honest. The have a set of rules to play by and so do we. If we break those rules who's at fault?

Good luck anyway, one good thing about the UK's immigration policy is there is scarcely ever an absolute 'no'. I'm sure other countries are much stricter with overstayers, the USA springs to mind.

Steve

toneee
Newly Registered

Post by toneee » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:26 pm

Wanderer wrote:
toneee wrote:I just feel that we're at the mercy of some anonymous immigration officer, who sits behind a desk somewhere, flippantly making decisions which greatly affect the lives of normal people. "I'm having a bad day, so I'll reject this one" is pretty much how it seems to work. I also thinks it's true they have quotas to meet and immigration is a political football which gets knocked back and forth by politicians looking for votes.

To be honest mate, it's unfair to blame the system when ur wife has previously broken the terms of her visa.

We've applied for and obtained four visas to UK from Former Soviet Union with 100% success rate, maybe it's because we've not abused any of these visas?

HO and IND are both huge awkward organisations to deal with but to accuse them of persuing a vendetta against people is a bit unfair, we've found them slow but eminently fair and honest. The have a set of rules to play by and so do we. If we break those rules who's at fault?

Good luck anyway, one good thing about the UK's immigration policy is there is scarcely ever an absolute 'no'. I'm sure other countries are much stricter with overstayers, the USA springs to mind.

Steve
I see what you're saying, but the reason behind her overstaying was actually quite complicated. I won't go into it, but regardless, many overstayers do get visas and reading some of the posts on this forum it does seem that the decisions aren't consistent.

I never claimed anyone had a vendetta, but was using an extreme example to illustrate that the visa application process is far too subjective. I also don't think the British system is the worst either, but was just saying that I feel fed up and that I'm not particularly desperate to stay in the UK. All I want is to be with my wife, wherever that may be. Britain would be ideal, but certainly not essential.

However, that said, I stand by the statement regarding the way in which immigration is used as a tool in political debates. I apologise though, for not making myself clearer.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:05 pm

toneee wrote:I just feel that we're at the mercy of some anonymous immigration officer, who sits behind a desk somewhere, flippantly making decisions which greatly affect the lives of normal people.
Well in a sense that is correct, but if you were in charge of designing the system, what alternative system would you put in place?

The fact is that the UK needs an immigration system. There is clearly a finite number of people who can live in the UK so against that background clearly some immigration system needs to be in place.

The fact is that if the supporting evidence shows that the various tests have been passed then the visa will be granted. There is no quota system, well certainly not for applications such as for a spouse visa.

So Toneee have you any doubts about the evidence being supplied in support of the application?
John

toneee
Newly Registered

Post by toneee » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:52 pm

Of course a system has to be in place, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Can I suggest anything better? Probably not. Does that mean it's the best it can be? I have no idea.

As for my wife's application, there are a number of problems that I can think of:

Accommodation: I gave them the tenancy agreement from the flat we live in, but her name isn't on it. We asked for a letter from the landlord, but I've only just received it and the application is already going through (well, it's in the queu anyway).

I have a letter from my mother to say that we can stay in her house rent-free, and the letter says its a three bedroom house. However, she couldn't get hold of the title deeds in time, so she gave me a photocopy of her mortgage loan agreement. This doesn't specify how many rooms are in the house.

Finances: My bank balance doesn't look great and I don't get paid a great deal, but I do get help from my family so that we can get by without recourse to public funds.

Photocopies: My mother also gave me photocopies of her bank statements, which show £2000 in her current account and £9000 in an ISA. She's agreed to act as a sponsor, but was paranoid about giving me the original statements. It wasn't until I was in the visa office in Zimbabwe that I saw a sign saying they no longer accept photocopied documents.

Proof of our relationship: We submitted plenty of photos of us together from the last three years, as well as birthday cards, valentines cards and a wedding invitation for both of us. But there were no letters or phone bills, because we saw each other every day.

So I get the feeling I'm going to have to reapply in a few months. What I hate is that you can wait for months and months and be turned down. All I want is to be reassured that I can be with my wife, no matter which country we live in.

stressed
Newly Registered

Post by stressed » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:55 pm

Hie

My husband and I are in the same situation, I am technically an overstayer (complicated) and we have been married for 1yr (2yrs this October) We made an incountry application which was refused, we had two appeals, both denied on the basis that it was safe for us to travel to Zimbabwe for entry clearance. This application process in the UK I have heard others say took them over 3yrs and they still got denied so I guess we have been lucky with timescales - partly because my husband got his MP involved.

We are travelling to Zimbabwe early next month to make a new out of country application and I have decided to overkill on the evidence we will give. My husband is not on a "good wage" but we have done a budget to prove that we have managed on the one wage for over a year. His parents have also offered to be additional sponsors. We are keeping our fingers crossed and being positive about the whole thing. I am as nervous as hell but what choice do we have, its got to be done - as you say our fate lies in the hands of the one person at the Embassy. How long have you been in Zimbabwe and when did you put in the application? Any idea of timescales? My husband has never been to Africa and with all the stories on Zimbabwe he is a bit nervous about coming, but he will not have me travel alone so he is coming with me.

coco
Newly Registered

Post by coco » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:36 pm

It seems there are quite a few of us in the same boat. I am submitting my application on wednesday although I am still in the UK. My cousin in Ghana will submit it on my behalf, wait 11 weeks then go for the interview in person.

And i agree your fate lies in the hands of one person at the consulate. A cousin of mine was refused a visitors visa although she has never been in breech of the immigration rules and has been to the UK serveral times, purely because the ECO didn't like (long story). The reason they gave was they didn't believe she would return to Ghana, although she had already shown good faith many times before.

I am keeping my fingers crossed and hope that the details I am submitting will be strong enough. I included everything and have left nothing to chance.

Good luck with your applicaton though, I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

toneee
Newly Registered

Post by toneee » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:00 pm

It's been about three weeks since we applied and I've only been back for a few days, but having spent every day of the last three years together I'm already distraught. I'd go live in Zimbabwe if it were possible to get a job that pays more than £100 per month. Unfortunately, the post of President is already taken.

stressed
Newly Registered

Post by stressed » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:50 am

Hie again,

I was just thinking - why don't you DHL the original bank statements and other evidence you think you may have missed out to your wife in Harare, she will get called for an interview and she could take these with her then and explain that you did not know that originals were needed instead of photocopies. I think even were she not called for an interview and the visa was denied on the basis that photocopies were provided, if she had them she could take them into the Consulate, from reading other posts, decisions have been changed in days once the missing evidence was provided. It saves having to wait months on end for an appeal. My hubby and I have not been apart for almost 4yrs now and the thought of not having him with me for any amount of time is upseting so I totally understand how you feeling. Hang in there, true love always wins.

BG101

Post by BG101 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:23 pm

stressed wrote:Hang in there, true love always wins.
I so wish that were true .. we are at breaking point now with the soulless bureaucrats who couldn't give [......] about human beings and take 3 months even to reply to our MP just to confirm they stand by the decision of the ECO .. my house is about to be taken by the bank as I can no longer afford to keep going have changed jobs 2 months ago for a much higher wage but being screwed for full rate tax means I'm getting less than my old job .. sorry

Post edited due to language content - we sympathasise with your situation but appreciate moderating your language. thanks for your understanding. Kayalami.