ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application for EEA4 and some burning questions...

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

andrej

Application for EEA4 and some burning questions...

Post by andrej » Wed May 11, 2011 9:36 pm

Hello all, I am new to this forum and have some burning questions that won't let me sleep at night. After scouring the net and I found this forum and its cool. HO website is sometimes very confusing. My 5 year EEA stamp is running out in August and I was delighted to find out that EEA4 application is FREE but horrified that it lasts a long time.

1. I am South African and my wife is Polish.

2. I got the 5 year EEA family stamp in my passport she got the paper blue residence permit.

3. She doesn't really want to apply for EEA3, is this going to be a problem?

4. Do I have to do a "Life in the UK" test before I apply?

5. I am currently finishing my degree and was a full time student for the last three years. My dear wife works and has worked full-time. I worked full-time before comencing my studies.

6. Do I or she need private health insurance? Does life cover count? Is letter from NHS surgery and dentist not enough?

7. I heard people mentioning one day counter service opening up and anyone got any updates. I would rather pay extra and get the passport back pronto as I REALLY want to travel and am searching for jobs after studies... need my documents.

I would really appreciate if any guy or girl out there knows something or would be willing to share experiences...

Thank you

dr4245
Newly Registered

Re: Application for EEA4 and some burning questions...

Post by dr4245 » Wed May 11, 2011 11:20 pm

andrej wrote:Hello all, I am new to this forum and have some burning questions that won't let me sleep at night. After scouring the net and I found this forum and its cool. HO website is sometimes very confusing. My 5 year EEA stamp is running out in August and I was delighted to find out that EEA4 application is FREE but horrified that it lasts a long time.

2. I got the 5 year EEA family stamp in my passport she got the paper blue residence permit.

5. I am currently finishing my degree and was a full time student for the last three years. My dear wife works and has worked full-time. I worked full-time before comencing my studies.

6. Do I or she need private health insurance? Does life cover count? Is letter from NHS surgery and dentist not enough?

7. I heard people mentioning one day counter service opening up and anyone got any updates. I would rather pay extra and get the passport back pronto as I REALLY want to travel and am searching for jobs after studies... need my documents.

I would really appreciate if any guy or girl out there knows something or would be willing to share experiences...

Thank you
mate you got to produce her work documents throughout for five years coz sge must be exercising traeaty rights htough its not necessary for her to apply for eea3 now its not a big problem. if you dont have her comlete documents then apply eea2 thats better

dr4245
Newly Registered

Post by dr4245 » Wed May 11, 2011 11:23 pm

andrej wrote:Hello all, I am new to this forum and have some burning questions that won't let me sleep at night. After scouring the net and I found this forum and its cool. HO website is sometimes very confusing. My 5 year EEA stamp is running out in August and I was delighted to find out that EEA4 application is FREE but horrified that it lasts a long time.

Thank you
you dont need life in uk test but is she has not fully documents of her for treaty rights then try to get appropriate insurance for covering all of the time she is not employed n you r student etc.

andrej

Post by andrej » Thu May 12, 2011 7:46 am

dr4245 wrote:

Thank you
you dont need life in uk test but is she has not fully documents of her for treaty rights then try to get appropriate insurance for covering all of the time she is not employed n you r student etc.
Thanks buddy, I am glad about the test but are you sure...?and I think she has all the p60s back from 2005 or 2006. My bro in law who is in the forces is going to be so mad when he finds out that my application for ILR is free and he has to pay £££. hehehehe - Thanks dr4245.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu May 12, 2011 7:55 am

You are not applying for ILR! You are applying for PR .... Permanent Residence .... and there are totally different application rules. Which explains why you do not need to test the Life in the UK Citizenship test before making the EEA4 application.

But if, later, you want to apply for Naturalisation as British, then you will need to pass that test before making that application.

Your wife not making a EEA3 application? Not a problem, as long as you can supply proof that she has been exercising Treaty Rights in the UK.
John

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu May 12, 2011 3:15 pm

>> not all all
andrej wrote: 4. Do I have to do a "Life in the UK" test before I apply?
>> not for PR but you will need to pass the test before applying for British citizenship.
andrej wrote:

>> No, because she (the EU national) is working. Is she was studying and you working, you would have needed it. In that case it needs to be a private cover. Life cover/NHS/dentist is not enough.
andrej wrote:
>> It did not start yet and it will cost £300 and will be in Liverpool. You could always ask for your travel documents back after you apply. Best to ask for them after getting Certificate of Application (CoA) which basically means they have received your application. This usually takes about one month to get. Asking your passport back doesn't affect your application at all and takes up to 10 days to get. So effectively you will be without passport for about 6 weeks. They might ask for your passport again once a decision was made but in that case it will only be for a few days.
andrej wrote:

Thank you

andrej

Post by andrej » Thu May 12, 2011 9:01 pm

Thank you very much people... but a few more questions.

Once you send off the EEA4 application and then ask for the non-eu passport back, do they stamp it with some kind of visa continuation or proof so that you can travel with it. Its no use if they send it back with an expired EEA family stamp.

Thanks again

andrej

Post by andrej » Thu May 12, 2011 9:04 pm

[/quote]
>> It did not start yet and it will cost £300 and will be in Liverpool. You could always ask for your travel documents back after you apply. Best to ask for them after getting Certificate of Application (CoA) which basically means they have received your application. This usually takes about one month to get. Asking your passport back doesn't affect your application at all and takes up to 10 days to get. So effectively you will be without passport for about 6 weeks. They might ask for your passport again once a decision was made but in that case it will only be for a few days.
[quote="andrej"]

Thanks Jumbo

But before they return your passport (if you ask for it) do they stamp it with some kind of temporary visa so you can travel in and out of the UK? It does not mean much if they send you back your passport with an expired EEA stamp...

andrej

Post by andrej » Thu May 12, 2011 9:16 pm

OH yes and just to check, can my wife (Polish citizen) send her I.D. card instead of her passport to the HO to support my EEA4 application. Her passport runs out at the same time as my EEA family stamp and she might not be able to renew it in time... So is an EU I.D. card OK?

Thanks

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu May 12, 2011 9:31 pm

andrej wrote:OH yes and just to check, can my wife (Polish citizen) send her I.D. card instead of her passport to the HO to support my EEA4 application. Her passport runs out at the same time as my EEA family stamp and she might not be able to renew it in time... So is an EU I.D. card OK?
ID card of a EU citizen is 100% fine.

You can later request that and your passport back. If you want to travel, you can always apply for a EEA FP while outside of the UK in order to travel back to the UK. Not the most convenient, but...

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri May 13, 2011 9:33 am

andrej wrote: >> It did not start yet and it will cost £300 and will be in Liverpool. You could always ask for your travel documents back after you apply. Best to ask for them after getting Certificate of Application (CoA) which basically means they have received your application. This usually takes about one month to get. Asking your passport back doesn't affect your application at all and takes up to 10 days to get. So effectively you will be without passport for about 6 weeks. They might ask for your passport again once a decision was made but in that case it will only be for a few days.
andrej wrote:
Thanks Jumbo

But before they return your passport (if you ask for it) do they stamp it with some kind of temporary visa so you can travel in and out of the UK? It does not mean much if they send you back your passport with an expired EEA stamp...
The letter confirming your application (CoA - Certificate of Application) should be enough in order to pass the border control in the UK. However, as you are a visa national (South-Africa) this will probably not be good enough for the airline to board a flight and it's best to get another EEA Family Permit from a UK consulate abroad.