ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When to apply for British Citizenship family of EEA National

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

OmarA

When to apply for British Citizenship family of EEA National

Post by OmarA » Thu May 12, 2011 4:22 pm

When can my wife apply for British Citizenship?

I am EEA National (Dutch) live and work in the uk since May-2005, my wife got her Residence Document on 12-Aug-2009, she entered UK Aug-2008 and applied directly for her Residence Document but did not receive it untill a year later Aug-2009

The Residence Document is valid until 12-Aug-2014, Type of Document: Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National

What are the rules regarding applying for British Citizenship? Does she need to stay a total of 5years and then apply for permanent residence and then 12months later apply for Citizenship? (so total 6yrs and then apply?)

Is it 5yrs from the date she entered UK or from the date she granted the Residence Document?

Thanks in advance

SunBlue

Post by SunBlue » Thu May 12, 2011 4:46 pm

The earliest she can apply is August 2014. As she entered the country in August 2008 as your dependent, then 5 years after that she becomes permanent automatically, and 1 years after becoming permanent resident she can then apply for British citizenship.

OmarA

Post by OmarA » Thu May 12, 2011 6:39 pm

Glauco wrote:The earliest she can apply is August 2014. As she entered the country in August 2008 as your dependent, then 5 years after that she becomes permanent automatically, and 1 years after becoming permanent resident she can then apply for British citizenship.
Thanks Glauco

oflondon

Post by oflondon » Sat May 14, 2011 1:40 am

If she entered the U.K on EEA family permit as a family member of an EEA national in August, 2008 then the earliest she can apply for permanent residence card is August 2013 and NOT August 2014 as said by GLAUCO. This is because the 5 years EEA residency started ticking on the day she entered U.K on EEA family permit and NOT the day she got her 5 years residence card in U.K.
Then August 2014, she can apply for naturalisation.

SunBlue

Post by SunBlue » Sat May 14, 2011 8:54 am

oflondon. Read my post properly. I said August 2014 she can apply for citizenship!

OmarA

Post by OmarA » Sun May 22, 2011 9:02 pm

Many thanks for your help,

When can I apply for British passport? and can I be Dual Nationality? Dutch and British?

One more question: My son born in London last year (18th-May-2010) he got a Dutch passport, is he British Citizen as well?

SunBlue

Post by SunBlue » Mon May 23, 2011 8:58 am

Regarding the dual nationality for Dutch citizens:
http://dc.the-netherlands.org/Services/ ... ationality

OmarA

Post by OmarA » Thu May 26, 2011 12:43 am

Glauco wrote:Regarding the dual nationality for Dutch citizens:
http://dc.the-netherlands.org/Services/ ... ationality
Ooops I thats new to me ;) but am I or my son eligible to be British Citizens?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu May 26, 2011 7:53 am

You can apply for British citizenship after 5 years of exercising EU Treaty Rights + 1 year so 6 years in total. So assuming you have been exercising treaty rights from May 2005 to May 2010 (for example as a worker), you could apply now for British citizenship if you meet the Standard requirements for naturalisation and passed the Life in the UK test.
As for your son, he will be automatic British citizen, if you have gained Permanent Residence in the UK (automatically after 5 years) before he was born. So it depends when exactly in May your son was born - whether before or after your 5 years. If After the 5 years, then he is already British and could keep his Dutch nationality. If before the 5 years, you can now apply to register him as British. See registration. If you do this after your son has been living in the UK for 5 years, he will not lose his Dutch nationality.