ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entering UK (with Irish stamp), staying 4 1/2 months.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

saren
Newly Registered

Entering UK (with Irish stamp), staying 4 1/2 months.

Post by saren » Thu May 12, 2011 4:14 pm

I am a Canadian tourist in Ireland, i have an Irish stamp in my passport that says i have to depart by June 10, i entered Ireland on May 5, i am doing so by flying to Exeter, after which I am planning another trip in the UK (until mid-October).

I am worried because there is no immigration at Exeter airport, and i don't want any problems leaving the Uk in October (i am flying out of Edinburgh, to non-Eu destination).

I know there is no immigration check upon exiting the UK), but...

I am in the Dublin airport computer system, the officer took my picture, and wrote a story about me in his computer, and i know the UK shares computer database

I am getting a new passport at the Canadian office AT edinburgh before departing the UK, as my current passport will expire in 2012

Will i have any problems leaving the UK? Will i have a problem entering Exeter?

Note: I will not be returning to the UK in the future.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Entering UK (with Irish stamp), staying 4 1/2 months.

Post by geriatrix » Thu May 12, 2011 4:47 pm

saren wrote:I am worried because there is no immigration at Exeter airport.
Do you know that for a fact or just assuming? Every (air)port in the UK which you can arrive at from outside the UK will have immigration and passport control.
Exeter International Airport -> Passport and visas wrote:UK Border Agency officers will scan passports of all passengers who have been outside the UK and cross-check details. Only those people who have the right to enter the United Kingdom are allowed to do so.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

simmo

Post by simmo » Thu May 12, 2011 8:04 pm

Do you know that for a fact or just assuming? Every (air)port in the UK which you can arrive at from outside the UK will have immigration and passport control.
Fact. For entries from the Republic of Ireland or elsewhere in the Common Travel Area, arrivals are not routinely inspected for immigration purposes by the UK Border Agency. See http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/trave ... ravelarea/

In answer to the OP's original question, the flow chart below may be of help:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Fri May 13, 2011 3:21 am

Although not strictly relevant to your enquiry, it is interesting that the Immigration Officer in Dublin made a record of your arrival and only granted you entry for just over a month, instead of the 3 months that would be given to most visitors.

However, as you entered Ireland legally and do not require a visa to visit the UK, under the 1971 Immigration Act you will on arrival at Exeter be "deemed" to have been given entry for 3 months as a visitor. You probably won't see an IO there, although there may be Police Officers hanging about who may speak to you. For the purpose of your visit to the UK keep your boarding card as evidence of the date of entry. If you stay in the UK for more than 3 months you will be liable to arrest and removal as an overstayer.

simmo

Post by simmo » Fri May 13, 2011 8:40 pm

Although not strictly relevant to your enquiry, it is interesting that the Immigration Officer in Dublin made a record of your arrival and only granted you entry for just over a month, instead of the 3 months that would be given to most visitors.
This crossed my mind too. This and the fact that the OP has asked the same question on at least one other online forum (http://www.canuckabroad.com/forums/uk-e ... 10092.html) might lead one to believe that there is more to this than meets the eye.
However, as you entered Ireland legally and do not require a visa to visit the UK, under the 1971 Immigration Act you will on arrival at Exeter be "deemed" to have been given entry for 3 months as a visitor.
Out of interest, is this still the case even though the Irish did not grant the full 90 days' leave?

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Sat May 14, 2011 5:58 am

simmo wrote:
However, as you entered Ireland legally and do not require a visa to visit the UK, under the 1971 Immigration Act you will on arrival at Exeter be "deemed" to have been given entry for 3 months as a visitor.
Out of interest, is this still the case even though the Irish did not grant the full 90 days' leave?
Good question. I would always have said 'yes', and the flowchart to which you provided a link does not indicate otherwise, but going back to the Act itself, the only bit I can find has me wondering. This is in Schedule 4:-

Leave to enter
1(1)Where under the immigration laws of any of the Islands a person is or has been given leave to enter or remain in the island, or is or has been refused leave, this Act shall have effect in relation to him, if he is not [F337a British citizen], as if the leave were leave (of like duration) given under this Act to enter or remain in the United Kingdom, or, as the case may be, as if he had under this Act been refused leave to enter the United Kingdom.

So does the phrase in parentheses which I've highlighted mean that if only 5 weeks' leave is granted in Ireland, the "deemed leave" in the UK is of the same duration? I confess I don't know. The only reassurance to the OP is that the only point of reference for any IO he might encounter is the flowchart (if they even know enough to find that on the system), so if he stays up to 3 months he's unlikely to have a problem.

saren
Newly Registered

Post by saren » Sat May 21, 2011 5:45 pm

Also, it may complicate matters, but i need to update my Canadian passport in the UK (at Edinburgh), will that make things more difficult? Since, there may not be a visible UK entry stamp in my passport.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Sun May 22, 2011 8:34 am

saren wrote:Also, it may complicate matters, but i need to update my Canadian passport in the UK (at Edinburgh), will that make things more difficult? Since, there may not be a visible UK entry stamp in my passport.
"Consulate of Canada in Edinburgh
Services offered at this office
This consulate provides consular assistance, notarial services and passport application forms to Canadian citizens. Passport and citizenship applications must all be submitted to the High Commission of Canada, Macdonald House, 38 Grosvenor Street, London W1K 4AA."

saren
Newly Registered

Post by saren » Sun May 22, 2011 10:43 am

Yes, i know about that. The Edinburgh office forward the passport to London, and London sends it back to Edinburgh. It takes 2-3 weeks.