ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

10 year ILR, what about my spouse?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mist99
Newly Registered

10 year ILR, what about my spouse?

Post by mist99 » Sat May 14, 2011 12:27 pm

I probably need the help of your guys. I'm going to appy for ILR at the end of this year based on 10 year rule after student and psw. My spouse came to the UK about 7 months later and she could apply for ILR soon after as well. But I am not sure if my spouse will have to appy for a new dependant visa after I get my ILR. After I switch from PSW to ILR, the psw dependant visa of my spouse might not be valid any more. But applying for a new dependant visa would be completely a waste of time and money for us, as by th e time she get the new dependant visa she will be qualified for ILR. Thanks for the advices!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat May 14, 2011 12:46 pm

1. When does your spouse's current leave expire?
2. When does she become eligible to apply for settlement under long residence?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat May 14, 2011 12:47 pm

If she has sufficient leave and will not be traveling, then I think that she may wait and apply for ILR under long residence.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

mist99
Newly Registered

Post by mist99 » Sat May 14, 2011 12:54 pm

she will qualify for ILR next July and she's got sufficient leave (until the end of 2012).
sushdmehta wrote:1. When does your spouse's current leave expire?
2. When does she become eligible to apply for settlement under long residence?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat May 14, 2011 1:32 pm

I was hoping to give you the same answer (but after knowing the dates) that vinny has already given.

mist99
Newly Registered

Post by mist99 » Sat May 14, 2011 1:44 pm

I'm just worrying if the Home Office will challenge the validity of my wife's psw dependant visa when she applies for ILR. Since I am going to change from PSW to ILR, her psw dependant will lose ground of validity.

vinny wrote:If she has sufficient leave and will not be traveling, then I think that she may wait and apply for ILR under long residence.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat May 14, 2011 4:22 pm

I believe that one remains legal unless his current leave is curtailed (323) or expires or one is subject to removal. However, if one travels, then he may be refused entry because his circumstances have changed (321). If your wife intends to apply for settlement under long residence and she does not intend to travel outside the CTA before then, then I believe she doesn't need to switch.

khan2015

Post by khan2015 » Mon May 23, 2011 4:59 am

sushdmehta wrote:I believe that one remains legal unless his current leave is curtailed (323) or expires or one is subject to removal. However, if one travels, then he may be refused entry because his circumstances have changed (321). If your wife intends to apply for settlement under long residence and she does not intend to travel outside the CTA before then, then I believe she doesn't need to switch.
Please help me if you can.I heard that PSW duration does not count towards 10 years long residency as ukba says

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... ettlement/

thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon May 23, 2011 8:08 am

That's misleading. Any legal leave may be included under Long residence.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

khan2015

Post by khan2015 » Mon May 23, 2011 5:04 pm

vinny wrote:That's misleading. Any legal leave may be included under Long residence.
what about 18 months rule.Its 18 months in total or less than 6 months in one single visit.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue May 24, 2011 7:58 am

It's 18 months in total and less than 6 months in one single visit.