ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Resident in US travel question..

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dwightschrute
Newly Registered

UK Resident in US travel question..

Post by dwightschrute » Sat May 14, 2011 7:45 pm

Hi guys

I am currently resident in the US and hold a Greencard which is good through until February of next year. My Greencard was issued for a two year period, which I understand makes me a conditional permanent resident.

I wish to return home to the UK for a two week visit to see my family in July but am unsure of the procedure regarding re-entry to the US. Do I need to file a form beforehand?

Many thanks.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat May 14, 2011 10:15 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

dwightschrute
Newly Registered

Post by dwightschrute » Sun May 15, 2011 4:49 am

Thanks Vinny, appreciated. 8)

jamhelmcor
- thin ice -
Location: 268 Bush St., San Francisco California United States 94104

Post by jamhelmcor » Thu May 26, 2011 5:49 pm

If your greencard is valid for only 2 years, you are a conditional permanent resident. Do not use Form I-90 if you are a conditional resident and your status is expiring. Conditional permanent residents are required to file a petition to remove those conditions within 90 days of their card expiring.
If your conditional status was based on a marriage, you must file Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence.

If your conditional status was based on being an investor, you must file Form I-829, Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions on Permanent Resident Status.

Once your petition is approved, you will be sent a new greencard valid for 10 years. At that point, the Green Card Renewal or Green Card Replacement process involves the use of Form I90.[/url]

dwightschrute
Newly Registered

Post by dwightschrute » Sun May 29, 2011 4:46 am

jamhelmcor wrote:If your greencard is valid for only 2 years, you are a conditional permanent resident. Do not use Form I-90 if you are a conditional resident and your status is expiring. Conditional permanent residents are required to file a petition to remove those conditions within 90 days of their card expiring.
If your conditional status was based on a marriage, you must file Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence.

If your conditional status was based on being an investor, you must file Form I-829, Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions on Permanent Resident Status.

Once your petition is approved, you will be sent a new greencard valid for 10 years. At that point, the Green Card Renewal or Green Card Replacement process involves the use of Form I90.[/url]
Thanks for the info - however I'm sorry to ask what might be a stupid question but does this affect me traveling overseas whilst holding conditional permanent residency?

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Sun May 29, 2011 10:38 am

dwightschrute wrote:Thanks for the info - however I'm sorry to ask what might be a stupid question but does this affect me traveling overseas whilst holding conditional permanent residency?
Please ignore jamhelmcor's post (it's just spam). You don't need to fill in any forms, since you are a permanent resident.