ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bachelor Degree in English & English Test For Spouse Vis

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Nassima

Bachelor Degree in English & English Test For Spouse Vis

Post by Nassima » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:18 am

Morning,

I have a question, if I have a BA degree in English do I still need to pass an English test at one of the approved test providers? I am from Algeria and working for a British JV in Algeria, Do I submitt my visa with an IELTS certificate or how does this work?

Thanks for clarifying this

Regards
N

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Bachelor Degree in English & English Test For Spouse

Post by geriatrix » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:46 pm

Nassima wrote: if I have a BA degree in English do I still need to pass an English test at one of the approved test providers?
No, if the academic qualification is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's degree.

See also New English language testing for partners

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:18 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:24 pm

So the answer is 'No' you don't have to.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:30 pm

Apologies!

regards

firozibrahim

Post by firozibrahim » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:10 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Apologies!

regards
I had appear for TOEFL in 1995 and have completed My master this year Result awaited do I still need to do my English test.

My bachelor university is not on UKBA approved list (UK NARIC) but my Master degree university is on it.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:10 pm

If you have a Master's degree (not Batchelor's) you'll need to take the test.

Nassima

Post by Nassima » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:29 am

Thanks to you all for answering my question, do I need to get the UK NARIC service to certifiy my qualification?

Thanks again!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:45 pm

Nassima wrote:Thanks to you all for answering my question, do I need to get the UK NARIC service to certifiy my qualification?

Thanks again!
I believe you'll need a statement of comparability from NARIC.

regards

firozibrahim

Post by firozibrahim » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:03 am

Casa wrote:If you have a Master's degree (not Batchelor's) you'll need to take the test.
I have Bachelors from University but it not on the UK-NARIC list, But I did my master from another University it is on the UK Narik List I did my education in English Medium uptill my Masters My master degree is taught in English. I did some part of my studies in USA also .

My ques : do I still need to sit for IELTS or English Test

khalidmirza
Member of Standing

Post by khalidmirza » Fri May 13, 2011 5:04 pm

Need help for my nephew. His wife visa refused for not submitting NARIC comparability certificate. she has bachelor degree, a letter from university that medium of instructions is English and degree is deemed recognized by NARIC as per UKBA points calculator according to the guidance for English Language Requirement.
Appeal allowed but you know it will delay the matter for months. Is there no accountability for case workers for not checking the calculator which he/she is supposed to check as per IDI.
What we can do to expedite the matter. Can any one suggest making a new applications with NARIC certificate available now will be quicker. It is expensive but time line in here is 12 weeks. Appeal process/Review will take 26 to 30 weeks

Amarkk
Newly Registered

Post by Amarkk » Fri May 13, 2011 7:30 pm

@khalidmirza

Where did you submit your application?

khalidmirza
Member of Standing

Post by khalidmirza » Sat May 14, 2011 4:23 am

Amarkk wrote:@khalidmirza

Hey Amarkk Thanks for your interest. We applied in Islamabad Pakistan. Perhaps settlement cases are decided in London. I am not sure.

Amarkk
Newly Registered

Post by Amarkk » Sat May 14, 2011 11:18 am

khalidmirza wrote:

Hey Amarkk Thanks for your interest. We applied in Islamabad Pakistan. Perhaps settlement cases are decided in London. I am not sure.
Yes the cases are in UK. How long did you have to wait until you got a refusal letter? Really harsh of the BHC to refuse the visa.

khalidmirza
Member of Standing

Post by khalidmirza » Sat May 14, 2011 12:05 pm

Amarkk wrote:
khalidmirza wrote:

Yes the cases are in UK. How long did you have to wait until you got a refusal letter? Really harsh of the BHC to refuse the visa.
It was 10 calender weeks.Now dilemma is to make new application or go long way to appeal as case worker was incompetent.What is the remedy .Chief inspector independent report on quality of decision by ukba is 40% poor decision. it is alarming. This report is for Pakistan

http://nds.coi.gov.uk/imagelibrary/Down ... ilsID=2537

wassap

Post by wassap » Sun May 15, 2011 11:13 am

khalidmirza wrote:
Need help for my nephew. His wife visa refused for not submitting NARIC comparability certificate. she has bachelor degree, a letter from university that medium of instructions is English and degree is deemed recognized by NARIC as per UKBA points calculator according to the guidance for English Language Requirement.
Appeal allowed but you know it will delay the matter for months. Is there no accountability for case workers for not checking the calculator which he/she is supposed to check as per IDI.
What we can do to expedite the matter. Can any one suggest making a new applications with NARIC certificate available now will be quicker. It is expensive but time line in here is 12 weeks. Appeal process/Review will take 26 to 30 weeks
If you can afford it, then why not re apply.

Maybe thats what these folks want us to do, to make more money:(

Amarkk
Newly Registered

Post by Amarkk » Sun May 15, 2011 1:44 pm

wassap wrote:
khalidmirza wrote:

If the degree is showing on the http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pointscalculator then it shows the case working didnt bother checking. Maybe the mods can shed more light on what you can do?

khalidmirza
Member of Standing

Post by khalidmirza » Fri May 20, 2011 2:42 pm

Amarkk wrote:
wassap wrote:
khalidmirza wrote:

If the degree is showing on the http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pointscalculator then it shows the case working didnt bother checking. Maybe the mods can shed more light on what you can do?
Hi
Yes degree showing on points calculator. My suspicion is that UKBA has secretly fixed quota for family immigration. You can smell it from their intentions to make radical changes in the later part of this year. I agree it is their prerogative . Now PBS visa holders are deprived of appeals. With such arbitrary decisions where would applicants end up.

doc.amby4

Post by doc.amby4 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:23 pm

I have an MBBS degree from a medical school that teaches solely in english. while applying to my spouse visa, do i have to show an NARIC comparability statement or just a copy of my degree shall suffice??

If i attach my degree only, does it have to be an attested copy?

and last but not the least. The GENERAL MEDICAN COUNCIL exempted me from taking IELTS because of my medical qualification being taught in english. Is that a plus for me??

khalidmirza
Member of Standing

Post by khalidmirza » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:18 am

khalidmirza wrote:
Amarkk wrote:
wassap wrote:
khalidmirza wrote:

Hi
Yes degree showing on points calculator. My suspicion is that UKBA has secretly fixed quota for family immigration. You can smell it from their intentions to make radical changes in the later part of this year. I agree it is their prerogative . Now PBS visa holders are deprived of appeals. With such arbitrary decisions where would applicants end up.
Little late on this topic but for forum members info, we had this decision reversed with in 4 weeks by meeting MP who wrote to the Immigration Minister on the quality of decision by case workers. If your case is 100 percent MP avenue can be a great help

doc.amby4

Post by doc.amby4 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:02 pm

Who is an MP?? and the decision was reversed based on what evidence? the degree sufficed??

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:16 pm

An MP is a Member of Parliament. Every 'consituency' has an MP who represents the interest of those living within the area he has been elected to.
See this link to find who represents your wife. You will need to enter her UK postcode.
http://findyourmp.parliament.uk/

davey64
Newly Registered

ECO discretion

Post by davey64 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:59 pm

The ECO who deals with any application has discretion with regard to documents and can allow or refer as they see fit.
Each and every application differs, and each and every application is dealt on it's own merits. The ECO/ECM guidlines clearly state the ECO may "VARY" the documents required to support an application...

Just because a required document is missing, does not signal a confirmed refusal.

khalidmirza
Member of Standing

Post by khalidmirza » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:27 pm

doc.amby4 wrote:Who is an MP?? and the decision was reversed based on what evidence? the degree sufficed??
You are right degree showing on ukba points calculator(based on naric data) should be sufficient proof but what would you do if case worker refuse to look at the calculator as required by the official guidance. It is sad bcos refusal need to be appealed and it takes 6 months to win the appeal. So case worker is just targeting delays. In this case matter was refer ed to embassy by concerned authorities and review took place and decision reversed.
Another example of refusal of a doctor to get student visa for 2 months attachment was refused for lack of maintenance fund. Eco wrote that you have only shown 98 pence in your parent account(which was just for the proof of salary activities) and money was transferred other account for convenience. Eco did not mention the 4 million rupees account statement of the parents and refused . What will you do under such circumstances