ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 contractor

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

paulj504
Newly Registered

Tier 2 contractor

Post by paulj504 » Tue May 10, 2011 10:41 pm

Can someone working as a contractor be sponsored in under Tier 2?

Thanks,
Paul

jpizzle
Newly Registered

Re: Tier 2 contractor

Post by jpizzle » Tue May 10, 2011 10:52 pm

I don't believe so, but could be proven wrong?
paulj504 wrote:Can someone working as a contractor be sponsored in under Tier 2?

Thanks,
Paul

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Wed May 11, 2011 11:11 am

contracting job is pretty much same as being self-employed which is prohibited under tier 2.

However, if you work for an umbrella company than your umbrella company MUST sponsor you...

I dont see any other way to work as contractor on tier 2

cheers

paulj504
Newly Registered

Post by paulj504 » Wed May 11, 2011 11:18 am

I'm thinking it would be a stretch in some senses. OTOH, just about everyone signs some sort of employment contract. I'd imagine that some language could be put together to turn an FTE position into the desired.

Namrata_Rai
Newly Registered

Post by Namrata_Rai » Sun May 15, 2011 4:56 pm

Hi PaulJi

Yes it is possible. The umbrella company will issue CoS for u and will inturn sponcer your visa. This umrella will inturn sign contract with ur client. Hope it's clear :-)

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun May 15, 2011 5:38 pm

Namrata_Rai wrote:Hi PaulJi

Yes it is possible. The umbrella company will issue CoS for u and will inturn sponcer your visa. This umrella will inturn sign contract with ur client. Hope it's clear :-)
Working for a third party when "employed" by an umbrella company (sponsor) is different from working as a contractor (e.g. - operating through self-owned company). The former arrangement is doable but the latter is not allowed.

The OP needs to explain what he means when he says "working as a contractor".
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Namrata_Rai
Newly Registered

Post by Namrata_Rai » Sun May 15, 2011 6:06 pm

I agree with Susmedha. The phrase 'working as contractor' needs clarification.

I shared my opinion based my understanding of 'working as contractor'. I work for the umbrella who has sponsered my Visa. My Umbrella has signed the contract with the client where I get paid on the daily basis. I hope this clears my point.

jack_daniel

Post by jack_daniel » Wed May 18, 2011 12:30 am

Namrata_Rai wrote:I agree with Susmedha. The phrase 'working as contractor' needs clarification.

I shared my opinion based my understanding of 'working as contractor'. I work for the umbrella who has sponsered my Visa. My Umbrella has signed the contract with the client where I get paid on the daily basis. I hope this clears my point.
Hi Namrata,

I saw your another thread regarding Tier2 (ICT) to Tier2(G) timeline also.
And as you've mentioned here you've recently agreed to work in the payroll of an umbrella company who have sponsored ur visa.

If that is the case I'll be grateful if you can throw some details about this process. And would you be able to suggest/comment something on this thread.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=77309

Many Thanks

sohoraf
Newly Registered

Post by sohoraf » Sun May 22, 2011 2:13 pm

Namrata_Rai wrote:I agree with Susmedha. The phrase 'working as contractor' needs clarification.

Hi Namrata.

If my umbrella company wants to send me to a different company to work for them then do they need to mention this in my offer letter from the very beginning or its fine as long as I am doing the same professional level job.

James.Dunlop
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by James.Dunlop » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi

As several people have rightly said, you can not be a Freelance Contractor. However, you may work for a consulting company that puts you on client projects and gives you performance related pay (of not less than that detailed on your CoS). This gives a risk/reward profile similar to that faced by a contractor.

An umbrella company can not be a sponsor if they do not take on consulting contracts. Sponsors are prohibited from assigning tier 2 staff to work on 'bodyshop' contracts.

Your employer's ability to move you to a new project site will depend on your contract of employment. If you signed up to work at a single location, the employer can not arbitrarily order you to move. However, if they have no work for you otehr than at a new site, you might be redundant of you are not willing to move

Sponsoring employers must inform UKBA of a new work address within 10 working days
James Dunlop

mailto:james.dunlop@jdunlop.com