ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overstayed In Uk 7 Months Can i still enter Ireland?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

****Sammy****
Newly Registered

Overstayed In Uk 7 Months Can i still enter Ireland?

Post by ****Sammy**** » Tue May 17, 2011 3:53 pm

HI,

I really need some help, I overstayed my working hoiday visa in uk by 7 months and left the UK through Heathrow on my own free will at my own expense.

I wasnt working through out my overstay (not even for a day) i was noted at heathrow when i left that i was in breach of immigration laws which i acceoted and left within a few minutes to South Africa (my homeland) i left the uk on the 31st Dec 2010

My husband and i want to travel to Ierland for our honey moon in a few weeks and we have spoken to the Irish consulate in South Africa and was told we dont need a entry visa for Ireland as we are South African passport holders.

My question is will i be able to enter Ireland without any immigration problems casue of what happened at Heathrow? my husband knows i had overstayed in uk but im not too sure if ill be allowed in and i dont want to dissapoint him if im not allowed in, we plan on being there for 2 weeks. :cry:

Cheers
Sammy

oceanstar
Newly Registered

Post by oceanstar » Tue May 17, 2011 4:36 pm

are they stamped your passport in uk ?

****Sammy****
Newly Registered

Post by ****Sammy**** » Tue May 17, 2011 4:51 pm

Hi,

My passport was stamped but I had an extra passport in my name which I exited uk with so the passport I am travelling with doesn't show any stamps or markings.

I have 2 south african passports the one I exited was almost expired that's why I had a new one with a validity period of 9 years remaining.

Thanks for your reply and hopefully some assistance.

Cheers
Sammy

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Tue May 17, 2011 4:56 pm

****Sammy**** wrote:Hi,

My passport was stamped but I had an extra passport in my name which I exited uk with so the passport I am travelling with doesn't show any stamps or markings.

I have 2 south african passports the one I exited was almost expired that's why I had a new one with a validity period of 9 years remaining.

Thanks for your reply and hopefully some assistance.

Cheers
Sammy
If your connection is through Britain to Ireland then you can expect hassle at the airports in Britain even with your new passport. If you are coming direct/via europe then i don't think it will be a major issue as your passport doesn't show any stamps.

****Sammy****
Newly Registered

Post by ****Sammy**** » Tue May 17, 2011 5:03 pm

Hi,

That sounds great! so if I travel either directly to IE or via another EU country I shouldn't have any problems?

I'm a bit relived that we would be able to enjoy a few weeks without being turned away cause of me being so irresponsible!

So if we go via france or anywhere but Eng I'm ok? I appreciate the help

Thanks a million for getting back to me so fast!

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Tue May 17, 2011 5:14 pm

Also consider taking some proof that you have ties to go back to SA and that you are really on honeymoon, just in case. Doesn't have to be much, but just think about it when packing.

Note there are no direct flights to Ireland from South Africa, you will have to travel via Europe or UK (which as others have suggested you should try and avoid).

****Sammy****
Newly Registered

Post by ****Sammy**** » Tue May 17, 2011 5:21 pm

Hi

Sorry I'm a bit confused now, I'm aware that's there's no direct flights from South Africa to IE but if I get a flight via somewhere else in Europe I would be fine?

Will travelling via any other places be an issue? Example France,Amsterdam etc?

I know that UK will be a problem so UK is out of the question..

Also I will be going back to SA also I probably won't pack too much just the average suit case and hand luggage, with no unnecessary items.

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Tue May 17, 2011 7:19 pm

You are using french/dutch airport as a transit to Ireland, as a SA you do not require any kind of transit visa (not far as i know) and infact Irish visitor visa, although you need to convince immigration officer at the Irish airport on your clean passport that you are here in Ireland for leisure purposes and go back (hotel booking, cash/credit card and return tickets etc).

oceanstar
Newly Registered

Post by oceanstar » Wed May 18, 2011 12:56 am

just dont fly via uk,,,,,simple is that, everything sud be fine,

****Sammy****
Newly Registered

Post by ****Sammy**** » Wed May 18, 2011 7:45 am

Hi,

Thanks you all for your responses I appreciate the assistance and I feel much better about this now.

I do how ever have 1 last question, will I still be able to obtain a shengan visa even though I have been flagged as an overstayer in uk?

in the event we do decide to travel to France for a day or 2 while on our get away I will need a shengan and if the uk issue will have any repercussion on me obtaining a shengan?

Thanks a lot guys/gals

Tandor

Post by Tandor » Wed May 18, 2011 8:56 am

UK is not part of Schengen at all. You should have no problems.