ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Rights to buy/withhold property

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

first2last4

Rights to buy/withhold property

Post by first2last4 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:02 pm

I had couple of question on the subject.

>What is the right of an individual for buying a property in UK for individuals with following status (assuming mortgage is not an issue)

A)Work Permit/HSMP holder with not enough Leave to Remain to qualify for ILR.
B)Work Permit/HSMP holder with enough Leave to Remain to qualify for ILR.

C)Working holiday maker Visa holder
D)A Visitor

>Assuming a individual falling in Category B) above bought a property in UK during his Residenct period and decides to quit UK before he qualifies for ILR. In this case if the individual wants to continue to hold the property as an investment, will he/she be allowed to do that (is it that simple) or he has to sell the property before he depart from UK? Any more implication for that individual in this case.

Appreciate for sharing your knowledge.
Knowledge which is concealed is lost -Hadith

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:24 pm

You don't have to even visit UK in order to buy or acquire property - anyone in any of the categories you list could buy a property and keep it, as could anyone else...
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:06 pm

There are no residential or immigration requirements for the purchase of property in the UK. Equally, of course, owning property in the UK has no effect on one's immigration status.

andhraguy

Post by andhraguy » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:34 pm

Christophe wrote: Equally, of course, owning property in the UK has no effect on one's immigration status.

But i thought financial tie up with UK definitely adds value during an immigration application. Any comments??

Mafia

Post by Mafia » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:30 pm

Owning a property, when considered together with other factors such as family ties in the UK etc, will add value to your application to settle in the UK. However in isolation, it is unlikely to matter whether you own a property or not.
Providing alternative opinions ... for better decisions.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:37 am

andhraguy wrote:
Christophe wrote: Equally, of course, owning property in the UK has no effect on one's immigration status.

But i thought financial tie up with UK definitely adds value during an immigration application. Any comments??
Yes, sorry: what I meant was that, as a matter of law, it makes no difference. Taken together with other things, it might add weight to certain claims, but nothing can be claimed simply on the basis of owning property.