ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settlement Visa applied from within China

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

chadwickkcc
Newly Registered

Settlement Visa applied from within China

Post by chadwickkcc » Tue May 17, 2011 6:05 am

Dear all,

I’m an amateur at immigration law so please excuse me for asking questions that seem blatantly naive. Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Background:
I am a British Citizen (male) who is currently working in Shanghai, China. Last July I got married to a Chinese Citizen (holding a Chinese passport) and the marriage was registered in Hong Kong (since this is where I am originally from and most of my relatives and friends are). We are planning to move back to the UK permanently sometime within the next few months. We are aware of the fact that the UK immigration policy has become increasingly strict and demanding so we want advice.

Questions:
1.What criteria do immigration officers look for? For example, length of marriage, financial assets, job status, etc?

2.Have any new policies been proposed/enforced since the new coalition government came to power?

3.How long does it take to apply for and be granted a spouse visa?

4.Should she be granted a spouse visa, how long would it take before she could work, be covered by the NHS, obtain permanent residence and UK citizenship? And are there other criteria that she should fulfil?

5.I have been offered a job in England which is due to start in this August. Would this NOT be much of a help, since I have not actually started and therefore not obtained any pay slips?

6.I understand that we need to have sufficient liquid assets, say cash, to show that we can support ourselves. There seems to be no concrete guideline as to how much we need exactly. In your experience, how much is desirable? Does it need to have been put into our bank account for a specified period of time?

7.Apart from our marriage certificate and photos, are there any other documents that are required to prove that our marriage is genuine? For example, letter from close friends, managers at work, etc.?

8.Is it advisable to use a lawyer to handle our application?

Many thanks!

Louby Lou
Newly Registered

Post by Louby Lou » Tue May 17, 2011 10:11 am

Hi,
Good luck with your application. You will find lots of good advice on here. Your questions are not stupid- I was in a similar position and have learned a lot here. I would suggest you have a look at the stickies at the top of this page as they will answer most of your questions. Particularly one which is entitled 'success story', then maybe come back if you are still unclear as to specific points.
L

anjum786mohammed

Re: Settlement Visa applied from within China

Post by anjum786mohammed » Wed May 18, 2011 10:19 am

chadwickkcc wrote:Dear all,

I’m an amateur at immigration law so please excuse me for asking questions that seem blatantly naive. Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Background:
I am a British Citizen (male) who is currently working in Shanghai, China. Last July I got married to a Chinese Citizen (holding a Chinese passport) and the marriage was registered in Hong Kong (since this is where I am originally from and most of my relatives and friends are). We are planning to move back to the UK permanently sometime within the next few months. We are aware of the fact that the UK immigration policy has become increasingly strict and demanding so we want advice.

Questions:
1.What criteria do immigration officers look for? For example, length of marriage, financial assets, job status, etc?

there is no criteria on length of marriage, u need 2 show that ur marriage is genuine and u can support ur spouse withput claiming public funds,
U need 2 show a healthy bank balance minimum i will say is about £2000.
u need 2 be working in a full time permanent job and should be saving a minimum of £106 per week. This should be after paying all your expenses ie rent, bills etc

2.Have any new policies been proposed/enforced since the new coalition government came to power?

THEY HAVE PUT THE FEES UP AND HAVE CHANGED THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEST PROVIDERS, NOT REALLY SURE WHAT ELSE THEY HAVE DONE BUT SOMEONE ELSE WILL BE ABLE TO ADD TO THIS.

ABOUT 3 MONTHS BUT THIS VARIES AMONGST COUNTRIES AND APPLICATION CENTERS. BUT SHOULD NOT TAKE MORE THAN 3 MONTHS

4.Should she be granted a spouse visa, how long would it take before she could work, be covered by the NHS, obtain permanent residence and UK citizenship? And are there other criteria that she should fulfil?

IF U ARE ASKING ABOUT ILR THAN THIS WILL BE AFTER 2 YEARS.

5.I have been offered a job in England which is due to start in this August. Would this NOT be much of a help, since I have not actually started and therefore not obtained any pay slips?

YOU WILL NEED A MINIMUM OF 3 MONTHS PAYSLIP, U COULD APPLY IN NOVEMBER.

6.I understand that we need to have sufficient liquid assets, say cash, to show that we can support ourselves. There seems to be no concrete guideline as to how much we need exactly. In your experience, how much is desirable? Does it need to have been put into our bank account for a specified period of time?

I THINK A MINIMUM OF £2000 IS REQUIRED BUT SAYING THAT I KNOW KNOW 1 PERSON WHO HAD £1000 AND HIS WIFE GOT A VISA. DO NOT PUT IN LARGE AMOUNT OF MONEY IN YOUR ACCOUNT THAT YOU CAN NOT EXPLAIN. 6 MONTHS BANK STATEMENTS IS DESIRABLE.

7.Apart from our marriage certificate and photos, are there any other documents that are required to prove that our marriage is genuine? For example, letter from close friends, managers at work, etc.

PHONE RECORDS, LETTERS THAT U HAVE SENT EACH OTHER, PICS 2GETHER, ANY BANK STATEMENTS IN BOTH UR NAMES. YES U CAN INCLUDE LETTERS FROM CLOSE FRIENDS AND FROM MANAGERS.

THIS IS COMPLETELY YOUR CHOICE, IF U FEEL THAT U ARE NOT CONFIDENT ENOUGH TO DO IT YOUR SELF THAN U SHOULD.

Many thanks!

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed May 18, 2011 10:47 am

anjum786mohammed wrote:

Background:

Questions:

there is no criteria on length of marriage, u need 2 show that ur marriage is genuine and u can support ur spouse withput claiming public funds,
u need 2 be working in a full time permanent job and should be saving a minimum of £106 per week. This should be after paying all your expenses ie rent, bills etc

THEY HAVE PUT THE FEES UP AND HAVE CHANGED THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEST PROVIDERS, NOT REALLY SURE WHAT ELSE THEY HAVE DONE BUT SOMEONE ELSE WILL BE ABLE TO ADD TO THIS.

ABOUT 3 MONTHS BUT THIS VARIES AMONGST COUNTRIES AND APPLICATION CENTERS. BUT SHOULD NOT TAKE MORE THAN 3 MONTHS

I THINK A MINIMUM OF £2000 IS REQUIRED BUT SAYING THAT I KNOW KNOW 1 PERSON WHO HAD £1000 AND HIS WIFE GOT A VISA. DO NOT PUT IN LARGE AMOUNT OF MONEY IN YOUR ACCOUNT THAT YOU CAN NOT EXPLAIN. 6 MONTHS BANK STATEMENTS IS DESIRABLE.

7.Apart from our marriage certificate and photos, are there any other documents that are required to prove that our marriage is genuine? For example, letter from close friends, managers at work, etc.

PHONE RECORDS, LETTERS THAT U HAVE SENT EACH OTHER, PICS 2GETHER, ANY BANK STATEMENTS IN BOTH UR NAMES. YES U CAN INCLUDE LETTERS FROM CLOSE FRIENDS AND FROM MANAGERS.

THIS IS COMPLETELY YOUR CHOICE, IF U FEEL THAT U ARE NOT CONFIDENT ENOUGH TO DO IT YOUR SELF THAN U SHOULD.

Many thanks!

anjum786mohammed - if you don't know the answers to questions, it is best not to reply.

There is no requirement to have a minimum bank balance £2000 or otherwise

There is no requirement to be saving £106 per wek after paying all expenses. The requirement is to have £105.75 after paying rent and council tax.

chadwickkcc - if you wife is granted a spouse visa she will be able to work as soon as she arrives in the UK. After two years she can apply for ILR. Once she has ILR and has lived in the UK for 3 years she can apply for citizenship.

anjum786mohammed

Post by anjum786mohammed » Wed May 18, 2011 11:13 am

Greenie wrote:
anjum786mohammed wrote:

Background:

Questions:

Many thanks!

anjum786mohammed - if you don't know the answers to questions, it is best not to reply.

There is no requirement to have a minimum bank balance £2000 or otherwise

There is no requirement to be saving £106 per wek after paying all expenses. The requirement is to have £105.75 after paying rent and council tax.

chadwickkcc - if you wife is granted a spouse visa she will be able to work as soon as she arrives in the UK. After two years she can apply for ILR. Once she has ILR and has lived in the UK for 3 years she can apply for citizenship.
ok
what i meant was it will be good 2 have that much AND WHAT DOES I THINK MEAN, also i rounded the 105.75 to a full pound.
:D

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed May 18, 2011 11:23 am

ok
what i meant was it will be good 2 have that much AND WHAT DOES I THINK MEAN, also i rounded the 105.75 to a full pound.
DUHHHH
Your answer suggested to the OP that savings of £1000/2000 was required. It doesn't matter that you prefixed it with 'I think'. There is no such requirement.

You also incorrectly stated that the £106 (105.75) was needed after all expenses had been paid, which is wrong. I wasn't correcting the fact that you had rounded it up.

'Duhhh'?? This is a forum for adults not teenagers. Please don't be rude just because someone has corrected you.
Last edited by Greenie on Wed May 18, 2011 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

anjum786mohammed

Post by anjum786mohammed » Wed May 18, 2011 11:24 am

Greenie wrote:[quote="anjum786mohammed"

ok
DUHHHH
Your answer suggested to the OP that savings of £1000/2000 was required. It doesn't matter that you prefixed it with 'I think'. There is no such requirement.

You also incorrectly stated that the £106 (105.75) was needed after all expenses had been paid, which is wrong. I wasn't correct the fact that you had rounded it up.

'Duhhh'?? This is a forum for adults not teenagers. Please don't be rude just because someone has corrected you.[/quote]
:lol:

chadwickkcc
Newly Registered

Post by chadwickkcc » Wed May 18, 2011 1:52 pm

Many thanks to Louby Lou, anjum786mohammed and Greenie.

There is absolutely no point to get crossed with anyone here though.

anjum786mohammed

Post by anjum786mohammed » Wed May 18, 2011 3:07 pm

Greenie wrote:
ok
DUHHHH

You also incorrectly stated that the £106 (105.75) was needed after all expenses had been paid, which is wrong. I wasn't correcting the fact that you had rounded it up.

'Duhhh'?? This is a forum for adults not teenagers. Please don't be rude just because someone has corrected you.
i was not being rude, u learn from ur mistakes, its not supposed 2 be duhhhhh it was suppossed 2 be dohhhhh
:lol:

archipelago

Post by archipelago » Wed May 18, 2011 8:41 pm

chadwickkcc,

I am in a similar position to you in that I have an offer of employment to start immediately when I arrive back to the UK, so don't have any payslips yet. The payslips are for those sponsors that are already in the UK and working rather than sponsors returning to the UK with their spouse.

From what I have read many people chose the route you and I are taking and the visas are approved. It would be useful to get a signed and dated letter on headed paper from the employer detailing when you start, salary, date wages will be paid every month, position, job role, why you have been offered the job (ie knowledge, qualifications, etc) and that the job offer is not subject to any further interviewing process.

chadwickkcc
Newly Registered

Post by chadwickkcc » Fri May 20, 2011 1:55 am

thank you for the above advice!

Mk2010
Newly Registered

Post by Mk2010 » Fri May 20, 2011 8:29 am

chadwickkcc wrote:thank you for the above advice!
Check below for applying from China.
http://www.vfs-uk-cn.com/applying.aspx

If your's wife applying spouse visa soon, I guess she would have to look at English Test. This would takes at least 1-2 months.

Good luck.[/url]