ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entering Gibraltar

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

simmo

Entering Gibraltar

Post by simmo » Sun May 22, 2011 10:30 am

Hi all

Apologies if this is a stupid question and if I've posted in wrong place Mods please feel free to move.

My wife and I are taking a short holiday to Spain in a few weeks. She is Canadian with ILR in the UK. We would like to spend an afternoon visiting Gibraltar and were wondering if, when entering Gibraltar, we should mention my wife's ILR status in the UK or whether this is immaterial when it comes to Gibraltar.

The only reason I ask is that I've seen elsewhere that ILR can theoretically be lost if the individual is (erroneously) given Leave to Enter as a visitor. I just wanted to double check to make sure we don't do anything viz. Gibraltar which could jeopardise her status.

Many thanks for any assistance!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun May 22, 2011 11:00 am

I believe this is the info you need:
Passport/Visa Note: Visitors requiring a visa to enter Spain should be aware that by crossing into Gibraltar they have officially left Spain, and will require a new visa to cross back over the border. Visitors with a multiple entry visa for the UK, and those with indefinite leave to stay in the UK, do not require a separate visa for Gibraltar. Visa-exempt visitors will be issued an entry permit to cover the period of stay, for short stays.

Check however that the Schengen visa gives you multiple entries into Spain otherwise this is where you may have a problem re-entering...especially as I know from experience of previously living in Spain that the relationship between Gibraltar and Spain isn't good and the border officers on the Spanish side aren't renowned for their co-operation.
Even more so if you have a Moroccan passport, which I'm guessing from your display name?

simmo

Post by simmo » Sun May 22, 2011 1:18 pm

Thanks for this.

We won't need Schengen visas as I am British and my wife Canadian with ILR - but thanks for the info!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun May 22, 2011 2:30 pm

Ah...just goes to show it's a mistake to assume. :wink: Enjoy the holiday

simmo

Post by simmo » Sun May 22, 2011 3:18 pm

No worries!

Would you be able to provide the link to the info above? Many thanks :)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun May 22, 2011 3:21 pm

Here it is under Passport/Visa Note:
http://www.wordtravels.com/Travelguide/ ... altar/Visa