ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa Extension and Dependent visa queries

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

s_manakchand
Newly Registered

Visa Extension and Dependent visa queries

Post by s_manakchand » Mon May 23, 2011 7:05 am

Hi All,
I hold a tier 1 general visa valid until December 2011. I got married in May 2011. I wish to apply for my own tier 1 general extension and dependant visa for my wife. I have been living in the UK for over 2 years. My wife is from india.
i understand reading the policy guidance that

a. For tier 1 extension application maintenance funds, I need to maintain £800 for minimum of 3 months in my bank account

b. For tier 1 dependant application maintenance funds, I need to maintain £533 for minimun of 3 months in my bank account (I am in the UK for over 2 years)

Questions:
1. Can both (tier 1 general extension AND tier 1 general dependant) applications be made together from within the UK? Note: Dependant is not in the UK .

2. I am planning to get my wife in the UK by december 2011. If both the application are to be made separately, how soon can I make my application (tier 1 general extension)? So that, I have enough time to process her visa (tier 1 dependant)

3. If I get my wife to UK on a tourist visa, can I apply her dependant visa from the UK? Is switch from Tourist to Dependant allowed while you are already in UK?

4. Would it save me any money to apply both visas together from the UK?

5. Is it binding that my wife will have to change her name on passport so to reflect our marriage?

Thanks in advance for any info in this regard.

beecharmer1800bc

Re: Visa Extension and Dependent visa queries

Post by beecharmer1800bc » Mon May 23, 2011 9:21 am

s_manakchand wrote:Hi All,
I hold a tier 1 general visa valid until December 2011. I got married in May 2011. I wish to apply for my own tier 1 general extension and dependant visa for my wife. I have been living in the UK for over 2 years. My wife is from india.

a. For tier 1 extension application maintenance funds, I need to maintain £800 for minimum of 3 months in my bank account

b. For tier 1 dependant application maintenance funds, I need to maintain £533 for minimun of 3 months in my bank account (I am in the UK for over 2 years)

Questions:
1. Can both (tier 1 general extension AND tier 1 general dependant) applications be made together from within the UK? Note: Dependant is not in the UK . NO, you cannot.

2. I am planning to get my wife in the UK by december 2011. If both the application are to be made separately, how soon can I make my application (tier 1 general extension)? So that, I have enough time to process her visa (tier 1 dependant) With the visa time scales, your wife maybe able to join you as your dependent in Dec 2011. But this is heavily dependent on how quickly your own extension application is processed.Then arranging for her own dependent application. I probably would say that early 2012 is a more realistic time scale.

3. If I get my wife to UK on a tourist visa, can I apply her dependant visa from the UK? Is switch from Tourist to Dependant allowed while you are already in UK? No. She cannot switch as a tourist. Only applicants who are currently on a dependent visa can switch into another dependent visa category.

4. Would it save me any money to apply both visas together from the UK?Your wife cannot make an in-country application.

5. Is it binding that my wife will have to change her name on passport so to reflect our marriage? No. But I will suggest you go through this forum for documents you require to make a successful dependent application for your wife.

Don't waste your time working hard-work smart

lokesh

Post by lokesh » Mon May 23, 2011 9:28 am

Please find my reply as below.....
s_manakchand wrote:Hi All,

YES

YES refer link http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... ent-funds/

Questions:
1. Can both (tier 1 general extension AND tier 1 general dependant) applications be made together from within the UK? Note: Dependant is not in the UK .
No, You need to apply for Entry clearance for your dependent from India.
You can;t inlcude applicant who is yet to get entry clearance

2. I am planning to get my wife in the UK by december 2011. If both the application are to be made separately, how soon can I make my application (tier 1 general extension)? So that, I have enough time to process her visa (tier 1 dependant)

It is upto you to organize the time frame...at the moment avg extension time is around 2months but that is not guaranteed and it varies case by case.....i suggest you 1st apply entry clearance for your wife before your extension and when she is in country you can apply together for extension.

3. If I get my wife to UK on a tourist visa, can I apply her dependant visa from the UK? Is switch from Tourist to Dependant allowed while you are already in UK?

No you can;t switch from Tourist visa to dependent visa...search on this forum you will see lots of post pointing to same issue.

4. Would it save me any money to apply both visas together from the UK?

Yes, it will save money if you apply together, but unfortuntely not in your case.

5. Is it binding that my wife will have to change her name on passport so to reflect our marriage?

No, Not required

beecharmer1800bc

Post by beecharmer1800bc » Mon May 23, 2011 12:07 pm

It is upto you to organize the time frame...at the moment avg extension time is around 2months but that is not guaranteed and it varies case by case.....i suggest you 1st apply entry clearance for your wife before your extension and when she is in country you can apply together for extension.

If he intends to bring his wife in Dec 2011 about the same time as when he will be applying for his extension then the best thing to do would be to wait until after he successfully applies for his extension then he can apply for a dependent visa for his wife.

I mean the application fee for in-country dependent application has gone up 100% to £500 so why go through all that expense if he can just pay one fee in India? Remember too, that the out of country fees are normally higher so if I was him, I will be looking to save money.

It's already too much hassle living in this country with all the bills so a bit of savings will make perfect sense

lokesh

Post by lokesh » Mon May 23, 2011 12:41 pm

beecharmer1800bc wrote:It is upto you to organize the time frame...at the moment avg extension time is around 2months but that is not guaranteed and it varies case by case.....i suggest you 1st apply entry clearance for your wife before your extension and when she is in country you can apply together for extension.

If he intends to bring his wife in Dec 2011 about the same time as when he will be applying for his extension then the best thing to do would be to wait until after he successfully applies for his extension then he can apply for a dependent visa for his wife.

I mean the application fee for in-country dependent application has gone up 100% to £500 so why go through all that expense if he can just pay one fee in India? Remember too, that the out of country fees are normally higher so if I was him, I will be looking to save money.

It's already too much hassle living in this country with all the bills so a bit of savings will make perfect sense

hmmm.....It depends on what kind of extension period he is eligible for?...if his extension is only for 2yrs then applying for dependent visa after Main applicant extension may result in shortfall of 2yrs contineous stay in UK for dependent applicant ILR eligibility(assuming main applicant is eligible for ILR in 2yrs time)....,
If it is a 3yrs extension then as you said he could save some money :D

seniors correct me me if iam wrong.....

beecharmer1800bc

Post by beecharmer1800bc » Mon May 23, 2011 1:56 pm

lokesh wrote:
beecharmer1800bc wrote:It is upto you to organize the time frame...at the moment avg extension time is around 2months but that is not guaranteed and it varies case by case.....i suggest you 1st apply entry clearance for your wife before your extension and when she is in country you can apply together for extension.

hmmm.....It depends on what kind of extension period he is eligible for?...if his extension is only for 2yrs then applying for dependent visa after Main applicant extension may result in shortfall of 2yrs contineous stay in UK for dependent applicant ILR eligibility(assuming main applicant is eligible for ILR in 2yrs time)....,

Re: For ILR the dependent qualifies at the same time as the main applicant so in this case if s_manakchand qualifies for ILR next year, his wife and any dependent(i.e children) automatically qualifies as well irrespective of how long they have been in the UK.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon May 23, 2011 2:04 pm

beecharmer1800bc wrote:Re: For ILR the dependent qualifies at the same time as the main applicant so in this case if s_manakchand qualifies for ILR next year, his wife and any dependent(i.e children) automatically qualifies as well irrespective of how long they have been in the UK.
Not necessarily.

A spouse / partner may be eligible for settlement at the time as Tier 1 (General) migrant only if the spouse / partner has lived in the UK for at least 2 years in a relationship akin to marriage / civil partnership,
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

beecharmer1800bc

Post by beecharmer1800bc » Mon May 23, 2011 2:10 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
beecharmer1800bc wrote:Re: For ILR the dependent qualifies at the same time as the main applicant so in this case if s_manakchand qualifies for ILR next year, his wife and any dependent(i.e children) automatically qualifies as well irrespective of how long they have been in the UK.
Not necessarily.

A spouse / partner may be eligible for settlement at the time as Tier 1 (General) migrant only if the spouse / partner has lived in the UK for at least 2 years in a relationship akin to marriage / civil partnership,

That is correct. I missed that part.

Apologies

s_manakchand
Newly Registered

Post by s_manakchand » Mon May 23, 2011 11:16 pm

Thank you all.

My current visa is for 3 years starting December 2008, however I came to the UK only in April 2009. So I have lost 3 month of the validity. Since then I am in the UK.

The current visa processing time for extension application is upto 2 months and my visa expires in December 2011, Can I apply for my extension in September 1st week? This will give me enough time to apply for my wife's dependant visa soon after. I need to get her in the UK before the end of the year.

Please suggest.

Also can somebody comfirm the current visa application fees (tier 1 extension and fresh dependant)?

beecharmer1800bc wrote:
lokesh wrote:

Re: For ILR the dependent qualifies at the same time as the main applicant so in this case if s_manakchand qualifies for ILR next year, his wife and any dependent(i.e children) automatically qualifies as well irrespective of how long they have been in the UK.

beecharmer1800bc

Post by beecharmer1800bc » Mon May 23, 2011 11:25 pm

[quote="s_manakchand"]Thank you all.

My current visa is for 3 years starting December 2008, however I came to the UK only in April 2009. So I have lost 3 month of the validity. Since then I am in the UK.

The current visa processing time for extension application is upto 2 months and my visa expires in December 2011, Can I apply for my extension in September 1st week? This will give me enough time to apply for my wife's dependant visa soon after. I need to get her in the UK before the end of the year.

Please suggest.

Also can somebody comfirm the current visa application fees (tier 1 extension and fresh dependant)?

I see that you are taking the p*ss with your questions!

Have you bothered doing some work by actually doing some research of your own and even checking the HO website for answers to your questions?

If you geniunely got your highly skilled Tier 1 visa then you will surely know where to look.

Best of luck matey :)