ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

first entry after Tier 1 ... Time limitation???

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

RAK78
Newly Registered

first entry after Tier 1 ... Time limitation???

Post by RAK78 » Sun May 22, 2011 8:31 pm

I am new to this forum and it didnt take me long to understand its effectiveness. I must admit the way members have been helping each other is incredible.

I got my Tier 1 (general migrant) Visa in Dec 10 and it will expire in Dec 12. I have not travelled to UK since then. Firstly, I would appreciate if someone could pls. tell me if its necessary to travel within first 6 months or one can travel till its expiry. Also, if you could shed light on the eligibility for doing business in UK under Tier 1 (general) visa.

Thanks,

Raja

tier1_applicant

Re: first entry after Tier 1 ... Time limitation???

Post by tier1_applicant » Sun May 22, 2011 9:30 pm

there is no requirement to travel within 6 months of visa. You can travel any time during your visa validity.
Also, you can do business/self employment

RAK78
Newly Registered

thanks tier 1_applicant

Post by RAK78 » Mon May 23, 2011 5:42 am

Thanks. Could you pls also tell about the pre-requisites of tier 1 extension. What if I go six months before expiration, would i be eligible for extension??

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Mon May 23, 2011 7:38 am

Read the guidance and look at the links provided.

Nobody can answer you whether you will be eligible or not, even yourself, because it would depend on the points you earn (and as you are not yet in the UK, there are some things which even you cannot answer). We know nothing about your age, education and so on, so there's nothing to go on. But I'll try to give you some advice regardless.

Note, that you would have to score 80 points (or 100 if you include English & maintenance) for extension and the only real variable factor based on your initial application would be earnings and UK experience (you'll get the same for age & education). Also note, you cannot uplift any overseas earnings like you did with initial application.

This makes it generally more difficult to make up the same points for extensions than for initial application.

What you also need to remember, if you are travelling to the UK during the last year of your visa, it will mean that you still have to find a job or set up a business, which can take anywhere between a month or six. During this time, you are not earning any money which will be crucial to score points. You might also need to spend some or most of your maintenance money during this time and you need to top it up before the six months are up.

Extensions aren't as easy as they used to be! If you really want to extend your visa, rather come over sooner rather than later. The longer you leave it, the more difficult it will be.

RAK78
Newly Registered

Post by RAK78 » Mon May 23, 2011 6:33 pm

Thanks indeed mulderpf for the comprehensive answer. Well noted and understood, this would certainly help.

Will try to reach UK ASAP, by the way my age is 33 and I have a Master's Degree in Business from one of the UK Universities. Pls. let me know if it changes anything you said in your message. Thanks

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:41 pm

mulderpf wrote:Read the guidance and look at the links provided.

Nobody can answer you whether you will be eligible or not, even yourself, because it would depend on the points you earn (and as you are not yet in the UK, there are some things which even you cannot answer). We know nothing about your age, education and so on, so there's nothing to go on. But I'll try to give you some advice regardless.

Note, that you would have to score 80 points (or 100 if you include English & maintenance) for extension

CORRECTION: Initial application was in December 2010, so points required would be 75.

and the only real variable factor based on your initial application would be earnings and UK experience (you'll get the same for age & education). Also note, you cannot uplift any overseas earnings like you did with initial application.

This makes it generally more difficult to make up the same points for extensions than for initial application.

What you also need to remember, if you are travelling to the UK during the last year of your visa, it will mean that you still have to find a job or set up a business, which can take anywhere between a month or six. During this time, you are not earning any money which will be crucial to score points. You might also need to spend some or most of your maintenance money during this time and you need to top it up before the six months are up.

Extensions aren't as easy as they used to be! If you really want to extend your visa, rather come over sooner rather than later. The longer you leave it, the more difficult it will be.
A simulation on PBS calculator:

Points summary
Select which tier you are applying under. Tier 1 (Highly skilled workers)
Select what category of tier 1 you are applying under. Tier 1 (General)
Where are you applying from? Inside the United Kingdom with permission to enter or stay (see Help below)
What type of application are you making? Extending your stay in the United Kingdom
Enter the date of your first successful tier 1 application. 01/12/2010
Are you in the United Kingdom under the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP)? If you think you may be covered by the terms of the HSMP Forum Judicial Review Policy Document see `Help on this question' before answering this question. No

Your points are calculated in the table below.

You can use the section headings to return to any section of the tool and change any of your answers.
Your points
Attributes Your points
Total (75 points required) 75
English language Your points
Total (10 points required) 10
Maintenance Your points
Total (10 points required) 10

You appear to have enough points to apply for permission to stay in the United Kingdom (known as 'leave to remain') under Tier 1 (General).

RAK78
Newly Registered

Post by RAK78 » Sat May 28, 2011 10:56 pm

Thanks for the reply.

You mentioned, 'you cannot uplift earnings from the overseas as......" then why does Tier 1 points calculator give this option in the first place while calculating points for extension of stay in UK. i.e. 'Which country/in which currency did you earn ' in the earnings section.

Also, for my own clarity, pls. also inform if one can apply for extension of stay from outside the UK. Thanks

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat May 28, 2011 11:45 pm

RAK78 wrote: if one can apply for extension of stay from outside the UK.
No.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!