ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Council tax

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Jay_707

Council tax

Post by Jay_707 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:20 am

Hi there
I am hoping to apply for ILR soon under 10 year long residency. A few years back when I was under student visa, I gave my previous landlord a letter from the educational institute i was studying, confirming that I am a student living in the premises. My question is, in case the landlord has claimed council tax benefits on that will that affect my application? The mortgage was not in my name, and I did not personally claim/ receieve any benefits. Is there any checking that out with the council?

Please could you advice.
Thanks
Jay

Jay_707

Post by Jay_707 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:18 pm

Please could someone advice.
Thanks
Jay

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Mon May 23, 2011 11:11 pm

i imagine that your landlord asked for your letter so that he could show that the property was exempt from council tax because the tenants living there were all students or alternatively to have the bill reduced because he was living in the property as the only non student? Your landlord is not able to use that letter to claim 'council tax benefits', he is only able to use it to have the bill reduced, this is not the same as council tax benefit. I think you are worrying unneccesarily

Jay_707

Post by Jay_707 » Mon May 23, 2011 11:30 pm

Thank you Greenie. Well, the landlord was not living with us, there were 2-3 students living in the house. So, he may have got letters from all of them as well. I really don't know what sort of benefit he received. Don't really understand the difference? council tax benefit and exempt from paying council tax? sorry for being ignorant.

Jay

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue May 24, 2011 7:56 am

Jay_707 wrote:Thank you Greenie. Well, the landlord was not living with us, there were 2-3 students living in the house. So, he may have got letters from all of them as well. I really don't know what sort of benefit he received. Don't really understand the difference? council tax benefit and exempt from paying council tax? sorry for being ignorant.

Jay

he would not have received any council tax benefit. He just would have used the letter to show that no one in the property is liable to pay council tax. Certain people are exempt from paying council tax e.g full time students. Other are not exempt but for example are on a low income and therefore receive council tax benefit which pays all or some of the bill. Being exempt from council tax is not recourse to public funds.