ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Leaving Ireland, need to contact GNIB?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

amk81
Newly Registered

Leaving Ireland, need to contact GNIB?

Post by amk81 » Mon May 23, 2011 8:04 pm

Hello everyone,

I am leaving Ireland for good in 10 days for a better job opportunity elsewhere. I am on a Stamp 4 (after green card) which is valid for another 22 months. I also have my multiple re-entry visa stamped.

Do I need to contact GNIB and/or INIS that I will be leaving Ireland for good, as I would be contacting Revenue to get my unclaimed tax credits back with the help of P50, where I will mention I am leaving Ireland for employment abroad.

Regards.

Monifé

Post by Monifé » Mon May 23, 2011 8:35 pm

I don't see the need to inform them but you can do so if you wish. You are only obliged to inform them if you hold permanent residence or Irish citizenship and plan to be away from Ireland for the certain amount of years that renders your residency void.
beloved is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out - Pierre Berton

strongbow
Member of Standing

Post by strongbow » Tue May 24, 2011 8:47 am

I dont think there's any obligation to inform if you hold Irish citizenship.

Monifé

Post by Monifé » Tue May 24, 2011 9:15 am

strongbow wrote:I dont think there's any obligation to inform if you hold Irish citizenship.
If you obtain Irish citizenship by naturalisation, you sign an oath declaring that you will remain in Ireland. Therefore, if you decide to leave and never come back, I would assume you would have to inform them.

I do not think the OP has Irish citizenship though.
beloved is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out - Pierre Berton

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Tue May 24, 2011 10:19 am

Monifé wrote:
strongbow wrote:I dont think there's any obligation to inform if you hold Irish citizenship.
If you obtain Irish citizenship by naturalisation, you sign an oath declaring that you will remain in Ireland. Therefore, if you decide to leave and never come back, I would assume you would have to inform them.

I do not think the OP has Irish citizenship though.
Hi Monife,

There is no obligation on naturalized Irish citizens to inform the authority at the point of leaving, except for those who wish to voluntarily renounce their citizenship. Naturalized Irish citizens are however required to register with and sign on annually with the Irish consulate in the country of their residence to maintain their citizenship. 7 years is the cut off point at which they can hold the Irish citizenship if they reside outside the Island of Ireland without registering with the Irish consulate. (This provision does not apply naturalized citizens based on Irish descendancy/Association)

See section 19(c) of Irish Nationality & Citizenship Act http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/consolid ... onINCA.pdf

Hope this helps.

9jeirean
What lies behind us and ahead of us is nothing compared to what lies within us

9jeirean

Re: Leaving Ireland, need to contact GNIB?

Post by 9jeirean » Tue May 24, 2011 10:46 am

amk81 wrote:Hello everyone,

I am leaving Ireland for good in 10 days for a better job opportunity elsewhere. I am on a Stamp 4 (after green card) which is valid for another 22 months. I also have my multiple re-entry visa stamped.

Do I need to contact GNIB and/or INIS that I will be leaving Ireland for good, as I would be contacting Revenue to get my unclaimed tax credits back with the help of P50, where I will mention I am leaving Ireland for employment abroad.

Regards.
There is no obligation on you to notify the authority of your leaving. For most people leaving for employment abroad does not equate leaving Ireland for good, so most people leave that window of opportunity just in case, but you are the best judge of your own case.

I wish you all the best.

9jeirean
What lies behind us and ahead of us is nothing compared to what lies within us

amk81
Newly Registered

Post by amk81 » Tue May 24, 2011 3:21 pm

Thank you everyone for your help. A colleague of mine who had left Ireland last year had mentioned that if my GNIB stamp and re-entry visa are valid for more than 6 months, I need to contact GNIB/INIS. He had himself not done the same since he had only 2 months left.

I hope I get a window of opportunity in the next 22 months in Ireland, it's not been an easy decision for me or my wife to move out of Ireland.

Regards.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Re: Leaving Ireland, need to contact GNIB?

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu May 26, 2011 5:21 pm

amk81 wrote:Do I need to contact GNIB and/or INIS that I will be leaving Ireland for good, as I would be contacting Revenue to get my unclaimed tax credits back with the help of P50, where I will mention I am leaving Ireland for employment abroad.
It is interesting. I would never say that I have ever left a country I have been living in "for good". My mom would say something like that, or use the work "emigration".

In the one case that I would have thought "likely I am leaving forever", I ended up returning 10 years later, meeting my wife, having children... And now there is a chance we will leave again.

Maybe things will not work out in your destination and Ireland will again call you back...

Sorry. Back to our regular program...

xexers
Newly Registered

Questions

Post by xexers » Sun May 29, 2011 9:20 pm

Hi amk81,

I am curious about the process & result of using a p50 form to get taxes back.

I have been working in Ireland on a green card for 3 years now. I am Canadian but leaving permanently to move to the UK.

How much taxes can I expect to get back? All 3 years or just this years?

Is there a link that outlines this process step by step or gives more details?

Thanks!
--Ben

amk81
Newly Registered

Post by amk81 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:59 am

Hi xexers,

I called up the Revenue dept to enquire about this. You can only claim unused tax credits for this year if you submit P50 mentioning you are leaving Ireland, along with your last P45.

As for previous year's tax credits, you can get a tax refund if you did not claim rent credit, medical expenses credit, etc. You can check revenue.ie to find out what extra credits you are eligible for.

Regards.