ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British spouse on jhobseekers allowance.

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Tallulah
Newly Registered

British spouse on jhobseekers allowance.

Post by Tallulah » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:22 pm

Hi,

I am British and currently in the UK and my husband is Sri Lankan and currently in Sri Lanka. The job situation here in my home town is hopeless and I am on jobseekers allowance. I understand that generally, if I am on benefits my husband would not be allowed to enter on a spouse visa.

However, there is work in my husbands profession and a dealership in England and another in Scotland are wanting to talk to interview him, with the dealership in England confident they will employ him or be able to find another one that can.

My husband can receive a salary of around 21,000-22,000 a year, maybe more with bonuses. Can he be allowed to enter on the basis that it is him who has the job offer(which would of course get me of jobseekers allowance and allow me to search a wider job market as I would be in another more prosperous area of the UK).

And if the UK border control were to claim that these are not firm job offers but interviews only, could he enter on a temporary basis(perhaps three months, if he can prove he has enough funds), to attend the interviews? I thought that perhaps we could agree that he must present himself at the UK border control after a period of three months with eveidence of his job offer, and that if neither of us were working then we could accept that he must return to Sri Lanka. (Although the agency in England are confident they can find him something).

Cheers!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:17 pm

I understand that generally, if I am on benefits my husband would not be allowed to enter on a spouse visa.
What on earth gave you that idea? Totally untrue.
if the UK border control were to claim that these are not firm job offers but interviews only, could he enter on a temporary basis(perhaps three months, if he can prove he has enough funds), to attend the interviews?
The facts are the facts! Either it is a firm job offer, or it is not. Temporary spouse visa? No such thing.
John

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:02 pm

Totally not true, my wife was given spousal visa while I was on Jobseekers

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon May 16, 2011 11:23 pm

Tallulah wrote:Hi,

Thanks for those replies. They really surprised me. My husband is due to sit his English test really soon so I have a few more questions I would like to ask.

Because unfortunately I am still on jobseekers allowance, will the UK border control require my husband to have enough savings to get him/us by until a job offer comes along? And if so how much savings are we looking at?

Also I noticed it said something on the form like I have to provide accomodation that is not paid for by public funds. If I move into my own place which I expect to before he comes I will have to apply for housing benefit for now until the job situation changes.

Thanks.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Tallulah
Newly Registered

Post by Tallulah » Tue May 17, 2011 1:24 pm

What was that answer suppose to mean? I was asking about how much savings the UK border control would ask him to have. How is 'Life isn't fair, but you can be' relevant to my question at all. Or do you mean because I created a new thread, when I should have continued on this one?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue May 17, 2011 4:51 pm

Tallulah wrote:What was that answer suppose to mean? I was asking about how much savings the UK border control would ask him to have. How is 'Life isn't fair, but you can be' relevant to my question at all. Or do you mean because I created a new thread, when I should have continued on this one?
Sushdmehta was just posting your post here as your other thread was locked. He is not replying to your post. 'life isn't fair but you can be' is his signature not his reply to you.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Tue May 17, 2011 4:53 pm

Tallulah wrote:What was that answer suppose to mean? I was asking about how much savings the UK border control would ask him to have. How is 'Life isn't fair, but you can be' relevant to my question at all. Or do you mean because I created a new thread, when I should have continued on this one?
If you notice''life isn't fair, but you can be'' is not an answer to your question as it is below the line and appears on all his posts.

He is saying that you should have not created a new thread

tantawi
Newly Registered

Post by tantawi » Tue May 24, 2011 6:24 pm

~ You and your spouse must have sufficient funds to support yourselves (and any dependants) without claiming public funds.

So if I am wrong, she is right? or they just ignore that point if someone has another incomes?

My situation is that I am working but have got child benefit, and my future husband for whom we want to apply for spouse visa has some property rented out in his country. So he doesn't depend on me at all.
When I called Hm Revenue they said it's very difficult to cancel Child Benefit in this country ( if you live here) and they will ask more weird question than when I was claiming for it.
I was thinking to get Child Tax Credit , especially because of Exception Card ( dentist and optician), but cancelled my claim because of our problems with visa.

Or I should go ahead with CTC?

newlight1

Post by newlight1 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:27 am

mochyn wrote:Totally not true, my wife was given spousal visa while I was on Jobseekers
I have a question if you don't mind me asking. I will be applying at some point for a spouse visa for my fiance and I am on Con Based ESA and I noticed that you were on JSA and they gave your wife a Spouse visa. How did they accept that? Did you have to have a certain amount in savings or were you able to have someone else say they would sponsor her?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:31 pm

Newlight...this is a very old thread from almost 1 year ago!