ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to get married - no passport - nigerian&polish

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tantawi
Newly Registered

How to get married - no passport - nigerian&polish

Post by tantawi » Wed May 25, 2011 9:15 am

My story is a bit complicated. I am EEU citizen living in the Uk.

My partner is from Nigeria and came to the UK in January 2008 with visitor visa. He came here mainly because there was a problem in his country and someone wanted to use violence or kill him after an accident. He has police report for that.
He overstayed his visa and after this 6 months time he bought some car and wanted to send it to his country to sell it. When he was at the ferry UKBA checked him and arrested. He was polite and didn't make any problems. After one month in detension, they just told him to go. Just like that.
Then he applied for asylum to HO, with this proof from police that he can't come back to Nigeria. No reply.
During this time he lost his passport. And he doesn't know how. Of course he's got police report.

We met online in summer 2009 and I came to visit my brother who lives in the UK and meet my partner in July 2009. Then we were continuing our meetings till July 2010 when I decided to settle down in the UK with my daughter.
I haven't saved any tickets from this period, as I didn't know we will need it.
Now since July 2010 we live together we are very happy, but one problem is how long we can live like that. He can't work, he has property in Nigeria so he has some money from renting it out there, but he would like to be normal head of family.

He applied for the passport in Nigerian Embassy, paid online, had an appointment, and they told him to bring his corespondency with HO. When he went there with documents, they said he has to wait and then they said they called HO and there is no application from him!
I bet that nobody even checked and called. Then someone said he can have this passport immediatelly when he will pay 700 pounds. If not, he has to wait for the call.
Of course he didn't want to pay that big money, and support corruption. They have never called back. he was trying to ask again and went there, but they called security to remove him from the Embassy!
He wasn't even rude.

We are really tired of this everything and what we did it was marriage by proxy, both of us in the UK, and power of attorney for the lawyer and my partner's brother. We have certificate now.
Yes, I know this kind of marriage will be not valid here if we both have been at the moment in the UK.
But some lawyers go to the court and can win it.

We are still in one point.
For living together application we have no required time living together.
To get married in registry office we have no passport.
Our marriage certificate is not valid here.
We can't go to Nigeria, because of his problem and plus my daughter is at school, and we have nobody to take care of her here.

My partner wants to addopt her, as her father is dead. But we can't even do that.

Can anyone give me some advice what to do?
I see my partner worried every day, we lost our joy of life, we cannot even go and see together my parents and family.

We were thinking to take this risk and go to Nigeria, but I am afraid of his life. This was his close neighbour abusing him and telling if he will come back he has no life there. Plus waiting for so long - how will I manage here alone with my daughter - I can't imagine.

I will be very gratefull if someone will tell me what to do, or give some recomendation to a good lawyer.
Thank you
Last edited by tantawi on Wed May 25, 2011 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed May 25, 2011 9:30 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

tantawi
Newly Registered

Post by tantawi » Wed May 25, 2011 10:03 am

Thanks.