ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is TB Screening test required for Bangladeshi student in Aus

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sunjay

Is TB Screening test required for Bangladeshi student in Aus

Post by sunjay » Wed May 25, 2011 10:20 am

Hi,

Can anyone confirm if a Bangladeshi student needs TB test certificate applying from Australia?

The information I found on UKBA's site only lists a few countries like Bangladesh, Pakistan and few other where it is required the test.

But is it required in such cases where applicant is originally from Bangladesh but studying in Australia under student visa?

Thanks in advance.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Wed May 25, 2011 11:06 am

If you're coming for more than six months, you will be screened for TB regardless of where you're from (well, at least should be - I don't know how strictly it's enforced).

sunjay

Post by sunjay » Wed May 25, 2011 11:28 am

mulderpf wrote:If you're coming for more than six months, you will be screened for TB regardless of where you're from (well, at least should be - I don't know how strictly it's enforced).
Thanks for your reply, but there is no specific information about where to go for TB test in Australia in UkInAustralia website. I tried to contact IOM in Australia and they dont have any clue at all. I contacted British high commission regarding this but no reply yet.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Wed May 25, 2011 11:34 am

If you fly in via Heathrow, they will check you there (I was scanned upon arrival and all in all, it took about 20 minutes longer than if I brought everything with me). Otherwise you can try a doctor who can do an X-ray - not sure?

sunjay

Post by sunjay » Wed May 25, 2011 11:50 am

mulderpf wrote:If you fly in via Heathrow, they will check you there (I was scanned upon arrival and all in all, it took about 20 minutes longer than if I brought everything with me). Otherwise you can try a doctor who can do an X-ray - not sure?
But if there isnt any x-ray report submitted they might cancel the visa application and visa fee may be lost. They also dont accept x-rays from just any doctor, it got to be authorised by them. That what I know when anyone needs to do their TB test done in countries like bngladesh and pakistan.

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Wed May 25, 2011 1:08 pm

sunjay wrote: But if there isnt any x-ray report submitted they might cancel the visa application and visa fee may be lost. They also dont accept x-rays from just any doctor, it got to be authorised by them. That what I know when anyone needs to do their TB test done in countries like bngladesh and pakistan.
There are no approved/authorized centres for the X-ray. Get an X-ray and report done at any local hospital and carry it with you (do not put it in your check-in baggage). These should be recent - like in the last 1 month or so. If the doctor there is not happy with your x-ray and report, then he/she will ask for another x-ray. The good thing is that it does not cost you anything. It will just be a 20-30 min wait till this gets sorted.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed May 25, 2011 1:18 pm

Health (TB) screening wrote:Residents in the following countries applying for a visa to come to the UK for longer than 6 months need to get a certificate confirming that they are free from infectious Tuberculosis (TB) before applying for a visa:
  • Ghana plus Burkina Faso, Cote d'Ivoire, Togo and Niger (which Ghana also issues visas for),
    Kenya plus Eritrea, Somalia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Uganda (visitor applications) and Tanzania (which Kenya also issues visas for),
    Pakistan,
    Bangladesh
    Sudan
    Thailand plus Cambodia and Laos (which Thailand also issues visas for)
You are "resident" in Australia and applying for EC from there. So, I don't see the need .... there is no reference to "citizenship" of the applicant.

The test is required for residents in named countries because TB is common there. Travellers from the named countries may carry the infection in to UK and therefore are required to prove that they are free from infection when they apply for entry clearance (from the named countries) in a category that allows stay in the UK for more than 6 months.

You don't need to provide a TB test certificate to apply for entry clearance from Australia. But, if you worry about being stopped at arrival port in UK, follow krazydude's suggestion(s).
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

sunjay

Post by sunjay » Wed May 25, 2011 4:35 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
Health (TB) screening wrote:Residents in the following countries applying for a visa to come to the UK for longer than 6 months need to get a certificate confirming that they are free from infectious Tuberculosis (TB) before applying for a visa:
  • Ghana plus Burkina Faso, Cote d'Ivoire, Togo and Niger (which Ghana also issues visas for),
    Kenya plus Eritrea, Somalia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Uganda (visitor applications) and Tanzania (which Kenya also issues visas for),
    Pakistan,
    Bangladesh
    Sudan
    Thailand plus Cambodia and Laos (which Thailand also issues visas for)
You are "resident" in Australia and applying for EC from there. So, I don't see the need .... there is no reference to "citizenship" of the applicant.

The test is required for residents in named countries because TB is common there. Travellers from the named countries may carry the infection in to UK and therefore are required to prove that they are free from infection when they apply for entry clearance (from the named countries) in a category that allows stay in the UK for more than 6 months.

You don't need to provide a TB test certificate to apply for entry clearance from Australia. But, if you worry about being stopped at arrival port in UK, follow krazydude's suggestion(s).
Thanks a lot for your valuable feedback.

nawaz

Post by nawaz » Thu May 26, 2011 11:19 am

I am from Pakistan and was living in Australia as a student before moving to UK. I was asked at Heathrow if I had gone through health checks. I told the officer that the visa was processed in Australia and I was not asked to go through any of the health checks. Apart from that there wasn't any problem.