ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

visa for siblings

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

omila250

visa for siblings

Post by omila250 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:21 pm

Hi, I am a Latvian citizen, residing in Ireland 5 years now. My sister is a US citizen. I have visited US once. What are the chances to move and live in US? Thank you.

newperson

Post by newperson » Thu May 26, 2011 3:48 am

According to this helpful chart:

http://reason.org/files/a87d1550853898a ... 116079.pdf

you would seem to have an 11-22 year wait to get a green card, based on your relationship with your US-citizen sibling.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Re: visa for siblings

Post by Marco 72 » Thu May 26, 2011 9:13 am

omila250 wrote:Hi, I am a Latvian citizen, residing in Ireland 5 years now. My sister is a US citizen. I have visited US once. What are the chances to move and live in US? Thank you.
Your sister needs to file for you under the F4 family preference category. According to the current visa bulletin, there is an 11 year wait, so the sooner she files, the better. There is no guarantee that the past gives any indication about the future, so your wait might be shorter or longer. All the visa bulletin says is that people whose petitions were filed in March 2000 are now having their visas processed.

By the way, if you were born in Latvia you can also apply for the DV lottery every year.

omila250

Post by omila250 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:16 am

I was thinking about lottery and will play it this year, but what are the chances of winning? Also, my sister will now apply for my mother and i know it is faster process, she can get her GC in a year or so. So after she gets her GC she can file for me as unmarried over 21 y.o. What would be the waiting time in this case?

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Thu May 26, 2011 1:58 pm

omila250 wrote:I was thinking about lottery and will play it this year, but what are the chances of winning? Also, my sister will now apply for my mother and i know it is faster process, she can get her GC in a year or so. So after she gets her GC she can file for me as unmarried over 21 y.o. What would be the waiting time in this case?
From the visa bulletin (see the link I posted above) the waiting time for unmarried sons and daughters of LPR's is currently just over 8 years. When your mother becomes a USC she can upgrade her petition and put you in a faster queue (and, more importantly, after she becomes a USC her petition won't disappear if you happen to get married).

Your sister and mother should both file petitions for you. The more you have, the better.

I don't know about the chances of winning the DV lottery, but since it's free one might as well apply.