ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 5 (temporary work -govt authorised exchange) to tier 2

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Aghosh
Newly Registered

Tier 5 (temporary work -govt authorised exchange) to tier 2

Post by Aghosh » Wed May 25, 2011 8:58 pm

Data points -
1. Currently on a tier 5 (temporary work - govt. authorised exchange) visa for a year-long internship;
2. Visa expiring in Nov, 2011;
3. According to the current contract - i have to return to India after 12 months;
4. Company is willing to make a full-time offer AND is an authorised sponsor;

Questions -
1. Is there still a possibility to switch to tier 2 without having to go back to India? If yes, what is the process?
2. If I happen to go back to India, and, the employer is still willing to hire me, what is the procedure for application?

I'll appreciate if some of you could guide me on the same.

ferfuracious
Newly Registered

Post by ferfuracious » Thu May 26, 2011 10:04 am

1)

I'm pretty sure you can't switch to tier2 from tier5 within the UK unless its creative or sporting. See page 4:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf

You'll need to make the application outside of the UK.

It is possible to have two visas in your passport simultaneously, you just have to specify which one you are using on entry. The second visa does not cancel the first.

Eg. You go to the UK in September and say you are entering on tier 5 and plan to leave at the end of October and renter on tier 2.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Thu May 26, 2011 12:57 pm

1. You cannot switch in-country.
2. Look at the guidance documents and the UKBA website.

In terms of what the previous poster said about holding two visas - you cannot hold two entry clearances for the UK. When a new entry clearance is approved for you, the previous one will become invalid.