ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Claiming Child Benefit

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Gerry2011

Claiming Child Benefit

Post by Gerry2011 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:27 am

Hello All,

I am new to this forum.
I entered in UK as student in 2005. I took work permit in Jan 2007.
We had baby in Dec 2006 and we claimed Child Benefits (Big Mistake).
In Nov 2008 I applied for Tier1 General and ticked Yes on Claiming Benefit section. After appling Tier 1 Visa I came to know that I Can't claim any benefits, so I immidiately stopped it. My Tier 1 visa was refused on Bank statement Grounds.
On refusal letter Visa Officer also mentioned that you should not claim benefits.They didnt cancelled my Work Permit.
I again applied for Tier 1 visa in April 2009 ( after cancelling Chiild Benfits)
Which was approved for 3 years.
I am an ILR holder of New Zealand.

My question is , will this effect my application for UK ILR?

Many Thanks
Gerry

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed May 25, 2011 8:26 pm

We had baby in Dec 2006 and we claimed Child Benefits (Big Mistake)
A big mistake? The big mistake was cancelling the Child Benefits claim. As a citizen of New Zealand you had every right to claim Child Benefit, in view of Double Social Security Agreement between the UK and NZ.

But that agreement does not extend to to Tax Credits. But now that you have ILR, even Tax Credits are no longer a problem.
John

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Claiming Child Benefit

Post by Greenie » Wed May 25, 2011 9:38 pm

Gerry2011 wrote:Hello All,

I am new to this forum.
I entered in UK as student in 2005. I took work permit in Jan 2007.
We had baby in Dec 2006 and we claimed Child Benefits (Big Mistake).
In Nov 2008 I applied for Tier1 General and ticked Yes on Claiming Benefit section. After appling Tier 1 Visa I came to know that I Can't claim any benefits, so I immidiately stopped it. My Tier 1 visa was refused on Bank statement Grounds.
On refusal letter Visa Officer also mentioned that you should not claim benefits.They didnt cancelled my Work Permit.
I again applied for Tier 1 visa in April 2009 ( after cancelling Chiild Benfits)
Which was approved for 3 years.
I am an ILR holder of New Zealand.

My question is , will this effect my application for UK ILR?

Many Thanks
Gerry
Are you a citizen of new Zealand or do you just have ilr in new Zealand? Is the latter what is your nationality?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed May 25, 2011 9:41 pm

John wrote:
We had baby in Dec 2006 and we claimed Child Benefits (Big Mistake)
A big mistake? The big mistake was cancelling the Child Benefits claim. As a citizen of New Zealand you had every right to claim Child Benefit, in view of Double Social Security Agreement between the UK and NZ.

But that agreement does not extend to to Tax Credits. But now that you have ILR, even Tax Credits are no longer a problem.
I don't think op has ilr yet. He says he is applying expiry ilr. Also not clear what he means by saying he is an 'ilr holder of new Zealand'

Gerry2011

Post by Gerry2011 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:58 am

Thanks for your replies.
I am an Indian national, but I also hold " Indefinite Leave to Remain " in Newzealand.

Thanks again

Gerry2011

Post by Gerry2011 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:00 pm

Sorry, just to be more clear I have Indefitne Leave to Remain of New Zealand.

Many Thanks