ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Lost passport by UK border Agency

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

olujay25

Lost passport by UK border Agency

Post by olujay25 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:21 am

Hia all,
I received a letter today from the Border agency that they have lost my passports Because i sent them two passports my old and new one, that if i want a new one that i should apply to Nigeria high commission in London for a new one and then send the receipt to them for compensation but on ringing the Nigerian embassy i was told that i have to go back to Nigeria to apply for replacement passport because the new e-passport replacement can only be issued in Nigeria. My problem is i havent got any money at the moment to go to Nigeria just because of applying for a new replacement passport. Can the Border Agency pay any compensation if i give them itemised bill of what its going to cost me to apply for a replacement after all is them who lost my passports and i have no intention of going to Nigeria at the moment but on the other hand i need a passport.I feel like a stateless person at the moment with the permanent resident on A4 paper,Please dont get me wrong i do appreciate having a permanent resident.
Any ideas or advice please.

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:30 am

http://www.nhcuk.org/passport-requirements
makes no mention of returning to Nigeria for lost passport
pennyless

mcovet
BANNED

Post by mcovet » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:25 pm

+1

you can apply for an ordinary passport if not for an e-passport, it's still gonna be valid

pennylessinindia wrote:http://www.nhcuk.org/passport-requirements
makes no mention of returning to Nigeria for lost passport

olujay25

Post by olujay25 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:53 pm

Firstly they dont issue ordinary passport anymore.
Secondly their website is not upto date and i thought i could get it here after looking on the high commision website which says i have to arrange an interview first which is why i called them and i was told i have to go Nigeria before i can get one. So i am not making it and believe i geniunely not ready to face that country now.If i can get a replacement at the high commssion yes i will.
So please get your facts right before commenting on peoples issues/problem.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:02 pm

olujay25, I don't see anyone "commenting" on your problems / issues but only response(s) based on information published on the official website of the Nigerian embassy in the UK. And, now that you have posted that the information may be out of date, then that's it - end of the matter!

As for compensation from UKBA, I don't think they will agree to pay for your trip to Nigeria for the purpose of a passport re-issue since - this is a country specific policy (perhaps due to political / other factors prevailing in the country?) and not the general practice followed by embassies in general. But there is no harm in writing to them and enquiring!

regards

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:01 am

It is so NOT true that you can't obtain a Nigerian passport in the UK. I have many Nigerian friends who have done just that, as the old MRZ passports are now no longer valid for travel and have to be replaced with e-passports.

I know it does take a while-several months- to obtain a new one, the High Commission website is quite clear about the processes you have to undertake to get one. I suggest you contact the High Commission directly.

tonytee

Post by tonytee » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:46 pm

I am aware that the e passport is issued in London. I find it ridiculous being told to travel to Nigeria for a replacement passport. Maybe you should visit the High Commission in person and ask to speak to a Senior person who should be able to help you. And it does not take months.

smallpie
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by smallpie » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:29 pm

olu, am a nigerian .and i can tell u that the new epassport is bein issued here in london by the nigerian house..as i got appointment for mine in april 2011. i think u will need to do is get a letter from the home office stating that they lost your passport and also take it to the police station and get a police report for lost passport, then take these two letters with yr PR to the nigerian house and if u stil got any old pasport with u .. this shld work our fine . plz make yr confirmations first with the nigerian house , before payin and applyin for it online.
CITIZENSHIP confirmed.

tantawi
Newly Registered

Post by tantawi » Thu May 26, 2011 5:15 pm

My partner has the same problem, he paid online fee 100 £ in October 2010, and his appointment date was february 2011. He had all required document for passport replacement, and they told him to come next day. When he went next day, they said they called Home Office to check if he sent them any application, and they said there was nothing.
One of staff told him he can pay 700 pounds and passport will be done next day.
He was begging them to call them again and he offered to speak with Home Office on a voice speaker and they said no.
So he came back next day to ask them when he can expect a new passport, and they said he will call him. They never called and when he went there to ask again, they called security to remove him from the Embassy.

Now we don't know what to do, because applying for a new one is next 100£, as from October 2010 is already more than 6 months, and you have to pay another fee if is more than 6 months. And we have no guarantee they will issue it.
Will english lawyer going with us to the Embassy help ?

P.S the author of this topic is right, if you already had one biometric passport here, you cannot get a replacement here in the Uk, you need to come back to Nigeria. My partner lost old type of passport, so he can still get new biometric one in London.