ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

lost passport/visa....advice please

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

concernedbf
Newly Registered

lost passport/visa....advice please

Post by concernedbf » Sat May 28, 2011 5:04 am

hi

wondering if anyone can help/advise.
My girlfriend (New Zealand citizen) recently lost her passport whilst over in the UK where she also has a two year working visa. She has already applied for her new passport from london, which she should hopefully get back in the next week or two, however, she also realised that she will need to obtain a replacement visa. The trouble is that we intend to go on holiday outside the UK at the end of the month, but without the visa in the new passport she may be denied entry according to the UK Home Office.
The cost to replace the visa is £216 by post which takes anything up to 14 weeks (which is no good to us as our holiday is in 4). It can be done in one day but this costs £648!!!!!
The thing is, she has copies of her passport and visa which have been officially certified/verified, does anyone know if this could be used with her new replacement passport on return to the UK??
Does anyone/has anyone experienced or know anything which may help?
Thanks for reading and hopefully helping..

mvent00
Diamond Member

Re: lost passport/visa....advice please

Post by mvent00 » Sat May 28, 2011 4:05 pm

concernedbf wrote:hi

My girlfriend (New Zealand citizen) recently lost her passport whilst over in the UK where she also has a two year working visa. She has already applied for her new passport from london, which she should hopefully get back in the next week or two, however, she also realised that she will need to obtain a replacement visa. The trouble is that we intend to go on holiday outside the UK at the end of the month, but without the visa in the new passport she may be denied entry according to the UK Home Office.

The cost to replace the visa is £216 by post which takes anything up to 14 weeks (which is no good to us as our holiday is in 4). It can be done in one day but this costs £648!!!!!
The thing is, she has copies of her passport and visa which have been officially certified/verified, does anyone know if this could be used with her new replacement passport on return to the UK??

Sorry, but the options you have already mentioned are supposed to be the available ones. Perhaps, you should sacrifice £648 if you wish to travel in hurry. £648 should be a decent gift to your girlfriend. Wait for other inputs too.

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Sat May 28, 2011 6:25 pm

Never fear concernedbf, all is not lost. Here is my advice:

Go on your holiday, when you arrive back explain to the IO what has happened. Have a copy of her visa as you stated she has. The IO will
still check HO records to verify your gf was indeed granted an EC for the
two year youthmobility/working holiday scheme.

Once the IO has done this he may grant your gf entry on a code for a maximum of six months.She will then have to approach the Home Office who will re-instate the time left on her original visa at the cost you have quoted.

However, the IO also has another option, one you'll love :lol: :lol: . The IO after satisfying him/her self that your g/f indeed still has valid leave may give her what is called a transfer of conditions or a code 8. This is transferring the original expiry date of her visa to her new passport. It will cost your girlfriend Zilch, nada, nothing.

I'm sure if she smiles sweetly explains her situation to the IO she may be lucky to be granted entry via this route.

Whatever the case, she will NOT be refused entry as the record of her visa is available to the IOs.

jms_uk
- thin ice -

Post by jms_uk » Sat May 28, 2011 9:13 pm

INSIDER wrote: However, the IO also has another option, one you'll love :lol: :lol: . The IO after satisfying him/her self that your g/f indeed still has valid leave may give her what is called a transfer of conditions or a code 8. This is transferring the original expiry date of her visa to her new passport. It will cost your girlfriend Zilch, nada, nothing.
I thought they stopped doing this in 2003?

concernedbf
Newly Registered

Post by concernedbf » Sat May 28, 2011 11:27 pm

jms_uk wrote:
INSIDER wrote: However, the IO also has another option, one you'll love :lol: :lol: . The IO after satisfying him/her self that your g/f indeed still has valid leave may give her what is called a transfer of conditions or a code 8. This is transferring the original expiry date of her visa to her new passport. It will cost your girlfriend Zilch, nada, nothing.
I thought they stopped doing this in 2003?

does anyone know if this is the case??
thanks for your thoughts...

concernedbf
Newly Registered

Post by concernedbf » Sat May 28, 2011 11:32 pm

INSIDER wrote:

Never fear concernedbf, all is not lost. Here is my advice:

Go on your holiday, when you arrive back explain to the IO what has happened. Have a copy of her visa as you stated she has. The IO will
still check HO records to verify your gf was indeed granted an EC for the
two year youthmobility/working holiday scheme.

Once the IO has done this he may grant your gf entry on a code for a maximum of six months.She will then have to approach the Home Office who will re-instate the time left on her original visa at the cost you have quoted.

However, the IO also has another option, one you'll love :lol: :lol: . The IO after satisfying him/her self that your g/f indeed still has valid leave may give her what is called a transfer of conditions or a code 8. This is transferring the original expiry date of her visa to her new passport. It will cost your girlfriend Zilch, nada, nothing.

I'm sure if she smiles sweetly explains her situation to the IO she may be lucky to be granted entry via this route.

Whatever the case, she will NOT be refused entry as the record of her visa is available to the IOs.

thanks, i was kind of hoping/thinking for something like that myself...however, the pragmatist or perhaps cynical side to me would just not want to risk it in case she is stranded and denied entry upon return to the uk!
i would hope that by the fact that she has copies of documents, and surely immigration can check on their computer!?!?! that she would be ok, and as you point out...apply for replacement visa. i am interested in your last statement though, by transferring at no cost??? do you know if this is still practised??
thanks again....

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Sun May 29, 2011 12:43 am

I can guarantee there is no way she will be refused entry, if as you state she still has valid leave on a youth mobility visa. It will probably take the IO 5 mins to check that this is the case.

As for granting your gf a code 8, I will admit that this is entirely at the discretion of the IO, and to be honest with you it would depend largely on the IO you get on the day. Some will some wont.

I am speaking as an Insider :wink:

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Sun May 29, 2011 12:50 am

Thanks to INSIDER, a little search resulted in this link, which states some guidance (I assume) for EC officers on page 7: "This page tells you how to consider cases where the previous passport has not been included or does not show the previous grant of leave:
If the applicant does not include their previous passport or if it does not show that they have existing leave remaining, you must check all available systems and files for evidence of leave. This includes CID, CRS, Home Office files and visa application forms.
You must take special care if the applicant claims that their previous passport was lost or stolen. Applicants must provide a crime reference number or police report if their passport has been lost or stolen. You must check that the applicant is the same person who was previously granted leave. You must update CID notes to say that the applicant has lost their passport.
If you are satisfied that the applicant has existing leave you should grant the application
."

So in addition to carrying previous visa photocopies, do not forget to have copy/reference of police report. Good luck!!

concernedbf
Newly Registered

Post by concernedbf » Sun May 29, 2011 8:58 am

mvent00 wrote:Thanks to INSIDER, a little search resulted in this link, which states some guidance (I assume) for EC officers on page 7: "This page tells you how to consider cases where the previous passport has not been included or does not show the previous grant of leave:
If the applicant does not include their previous passport or if it does not show that they have existing leave remaining, you must check all available systems and files for evidence of leave. This includes CID, CRS, Home Office files and visa application forms.
You must take special care if the applicant claims that their previous passport was lost or stolen. Applicants must provide a crime reference number or police report if their passport has been lost or stolen. You must check that the applicant is the same person who was previously granted leave. You must update CID notes to say that the applicant has lost their passport.
If you are satisfied that the applicant has existing leave you should grant the application
."

So in addition to carrying previous visa photocopies, do not forget to have copy/reference of police report. Good luck!!

thankyou mvent and insider, most helpful,

concernedbf
Newly Registered

Post by concernedbf » Sun May 29, 2011 8:59 am

INSIDER wrote:I can guarantee there is no way she will be refused entry, if as you state she still has valid leave on a youth mobility visa. It will probably take the IO 5 mins to check that this is the case.

As for granting your gf a code 8, I will admit that this is entirely at the discretion of the IO, and to be honest with you it would depend largely on the IO you get on the day. Some will some wont.

thanks for your help

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Sun May 29, 2011 11:59 pm

concernedbf wrote:
INSIDER wrote:I can guarantee there is no way she will be refused entry, if as you state she still has valid leave on a youth mobility visa. It will probably take the IO 5 mins to check that this is the case.

thanks for your help
Not a problem, keep us informed here of the outcome.