ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport to be handed in for German work visa?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

NikhilK
Newly Registered

Passport to be handed in for German work visa?

Post by NikhilK » Mon May 30, 2011 5:36 pm

Hi, I currently reside in the UK on a Tier 1 visa on my Australian passport. I am considering a job opportunity in Germany. The job will require me to travel to the UK once a month. I assume i can use my Tier 1 for my UK travel.
1 I wanted to understand - do i need to hand in my passport for the German work permit? This would be an issue as i require to travel to the UK every month.
2 Is the work permit the correct visa and is it multiple entry?
3 Do i require any paperwork from the employer?

Thank you

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Re: Passport to be handed in for German work visa?

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon May 30, 2011 6:01 pm

NikhilK wrote:I assume i can use my Tier 1 for my UK travel.

1 I wanted to understand - do i need to hand in my passport for the German work permit? This would be an issue as i require to travel to the UK every month.
Are you working for the same employer as in the UK? Are they no setting up the visas for you? Do you have an Australian passport?

(1) What do you mean "hand in my passport"? Do you mean do you have to give you passport to your German employer for safekeeping? I would say never!

(3) Of course

What are the requirements of your Tier 1 visa? If you move out of the UK, does it remain valid?

NikhilK
Newly Registered

Post by NikhilK » Mon May 30, 2011 6:18 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
NikhilK wrote:I assume i can use my Tier 1 for my UK travel.

Are you working for the same employer as in the UK? Are they no setting up the visas for you? Do you have an Australian passport?

--> It will be a new job. Yes, i have an Australian passport. My understanding is that i have to organise my own visa as it is a contract role..which is what i am trying to figure out, hence posting here.

(1) What do you mean "hand in my passport"? Do you mean do you have to give you passport to your German employer for safekeeping? I would say never!

--> Oh no, i thought i might have to hand in my passport in Germany to apply for the visa? That is what i had to do for my Tier1 visa when i was in Australia - restricted my ability to travel for the 12 weeks that it took to process.

(3) Of course

What are the requirements of your Tier 1 visa? If you move out of the UK, does it remain valid?

--> Yes, it is a multiple entry visa so i think its ok.

Stefan-TR

Post by Stefan-TR » Mon May 30, 2011 6:39 pm

NikhilK wrote:--> Oh no, i thought i might have to hand in my passport in Germany to apply for the visa? That is what i had to do for my Tier1 visa when i was in Australia - restricted my ability to travel for the 12 weeks that it took to process.
In Germany all applications for residence permits are dealt with through the local Ausländerbehörde. There is more or less one per "local council", so you won't be dealing with a big and anonymous service as is the case with UBKA.

Of course they will need to see your passport there, but it shouldn't be a problem to present it once when handing in an application and then bring it back again later, when picking up the residence card.

For German expert advice, I would recommend you have a look at http://www.info4alien.de

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon May 30, 2011 6:47 pm

Also be sure to check your "Tier 1 visa". Make sure you understand any requirements to remain employed in the UK, or remain resident in the UK. There are other forums on this system who could help you there.