ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Leave expired due to COA backlogs

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

treefriend

Leave expired due to COA backlogs

Post by treefriend » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:39 pm

Can someone plz tell me (am sure there are more on the same boat) about the legality of process in which UKBA kept people passports and now when leaves are expired, they are holding them and asking people to leve the country.

Thanks

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:32 pm

An application for a Certificate of Approval had no effect on the duration of your leave.

It was the responsibility of applicants to request return of their passports if necessary so they could leave before they became overstayers.

Are you saying that you asked for your passport in good time but UKBA refused to return it?

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:21 am

In the UK a passport is the property of the Government and not a possession of the holder so if the UKBA are holding a British passport it has more of a right to do so than the holder

treefriend

Post by treefriend » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:51 am

Kitty wrote:An application for a Certificate of Approval had no effect on the duration of your leave.

It was the responsibility of applicants to request return of their passports if necessary so they could leave before they became overstayers.

Are you saying that you asked for your passport in good time but UKBA refused to return it?
I sent many faxes and letters in good time to get my pp back but nothing happened.
As COA was abolished on 9th of may, we went to council to register our marriage. I and my fiancee got married and have received our marriage certificate yesterday. I dont know whether it would make any difference in getting my pp back.

thanks

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:14 am

mochyn wrote:In the UK a passport is the property of the Government and not a possession of the holder so if the UKBA are holding a British passport it has more of a right to do so than the holder
A passport belongs to the government that issued it so a foreign nationals passport is not the possession of the UK government!

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:03 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:48 pm

Greenie wrote:
mochyn wrote:In the UK a passport is the property of the Government and not a possession of the holder so if the UKBA are holding a British passport it has more of a right to do so than the holder
A passport belongs to the government that issued it so a foreign nationals passport is not the possession of the UK government!
That is what I was trying to convey obviously it was not clear enough.
I did not mention a foreign national passport was the possession of the UK government